Author Topic: Which Campaigns are official canon?  (Read 12059 times)

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Which Campaigns are official canon?
That's where you're wrong. While there isn't CURRENTLY an official canon fo fanfic, there should be a standard for all fiction- at least a basic framework for all backgrounds, to allow some variability. The main reason fo this, as I explained at length at thre VBB, is that there is a very short supply of modders, etc., who seem to produce anything they want to let others use in their creations, compared to the number of campaigns out there. For the rest, look at the VBB copy, because I don't wanna type it out in full 500-page tedium.

------------------
Left Behind:
www.wpierce.com/wlp/FS2/lbmain.html

You call that annoying?
I'll show you annoying!

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
How many times do I have to explain this?  Fanfic IS NOT canon!  Period!  If the creators accept it, it's not longer fanfic, it's canon (or official, depending).  There should be no 'official' guide to campaigns, as in what should be where (using the WZ/D nodemap only, as an example) as that will simply force unnecesary restrictions upon campaign designers.  If you want to use background from someone else, fine.  But don't presume people will want to have it forced upon them.

[This message has been edited by Shrike (edited 07-25-2001).]
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards

Originally posted by Stryke 9:
You call that annoying?
I'll show you annoying!

You're starting to live up to that on this topic.  
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

and you're on my turf.  

*slaps self in face*

Someone hit him with the intelligence stick..!  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Hm... All I can find is the ugly stick... will that do?

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Shrike: Unnecessary restrictions? I don't see how saying everything that happened in Derelict, say, being taken as "true" would put unnecessary restrictions on someone making a campaign centered on Sol or Deneb. The thing is, EVERY fanfic campaign I've seen so far has a little disclaimer somewhere- "you can't use our mods or pictures or the same vowels we had in our campaign... I think that's just stupid and this would be a way of ending that, since most campaigns would take those same mods and pics, etc. from the same source- no because they had to, but because it's easier to download a set of 50 open mods to pick through than to actually get a team of modders to make them for you. People could disagree and ignore fanfic "canon" (call it what you like- we'll refer to it as "goatage" from now on, since the word "canon" seems to give you spasms) all they like, but there would still be a central goatage background (and all that goes with it) open for all that wanted to make a few shortcuts that wouldn't really impede creativity- any more than the "canon" existence of the GTVA makes campaigns less original. And what would be better than basing fanfic goatage on the best of our campaigns?

I'm not even gonna comment on the other posts. I like being noisy, thank you very much.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Keep them arguments comin'. This is almost as fun as debating FS3 on the Volition board!

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
But who is going to be in charge of deciding what counts as 'community official'?  I can tell you, you'll run into stiff opposition.  No-one is going to like hearing 'you can't have first contact after Capella with Shivans in 2368, because it happened in 2371 in Warzone.'  For example, only one campaign on HLP (AFAIK) uses the Warzone map, that being TM.  MT and R2NT would make no sense if they were forced to use the warzone map, and the events of Derelict.  But seeing as it's no more official than any other fan project, we could toss the map, the events, everything, out the window without worrying.  As for the mods themselves, try asking the people who made them if they can be used later.  In my experiences, once the campaigns are out, they're more than willing to allow their models and such used.  Obviously, proper credit has to be given.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Like I said, no forcing involved. We make a setup, mods, nodemap and all, and people use what they want- it's really no different than right now. I could make a campaign where the GTVA naver existed, it's the Royal Domain of Fruit and Mixed nuts instead, and what would happen to me? It might not be a good campaign, that's all. Right now, there is no real extended resource pool like this, but one is sorely needed.

As I recall, Warzone only dealt with one "known" system and a lot branching off of that, and there is really no limitation on the mysterious unknown system levels in GTVA space, so that really wouldn't matter... If it becomes a big issue, scratch the Warzone plot as part of the goatage history, there are plenty of other campaigns...

Besides, it wouldn't be just me doing it. It would be a joint effort by the community, for community consumption. I don't have the time or the skills needed to do everything, anyway.

Incredible on how a simple question started a debate as big as the American elections in 2000.  
Power to the Canadian facist conspiracy plot!

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
Well, seeing as the simple answer of 'stuff put out by  ' didn't work....

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Don't get me started on government. I've spent years advocating it's overthrow, and I've gone for hours straight giving my opinions on that (where do you think I learned to argue?)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I thought you just had a very thick skull...  

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
So you better watch it before I headbutt you. Unless anyone has more original material to add, I think this topic is dead.

------------------
Left Behind:
 www.wpierce.com/wlp/FS2/lbmain.html

I'm right.
You're wrong.
Any questions?(Shut up back there!)

Offline Grey Wolf

Originally posted by Shrike:
For example, only one campaign on HLP (AFAIK) uses the Warzone map, that being TM.
Op.:UG uses the Warzone map, mainly because I'm too lazy to make up my own, and I didn't want to use most of the basic systems because according to my campaign they're under Shivan control, and the GTR is restricted to guerilla attacks in the frontier systems.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
another argument? easy: I'm doing a comapaign, that will be in contradiction with warzone and derelict. Let say my campaign is cool and everybody loves it as much as the two others. Then... Tell me which one should be considered as canon?
Easy: none.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Whichever has the better plot- you'd lose on popular opinion either way actually, people have a great respect for the old and moldy, even more than the new and improved. Hence, this whole argument. Plus, any campaign that was as good as Derelicyt would be accused of being a Derelict clone, since what's good about it is that the creators made the game in the only way it could be properly done- you'd have to imitate at least the basics.

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
That's where your wrong.  It's only a Derelict clone if you have a shivan ship, mysteriously lost, that heralds another invasion.  Derelict was groundbreaking in that it was a good FS2 campaign, but the overall story was by no means special.

Face it, there is going to be no community accepted standard for campaign storylines and backgrounds.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Why not? The whole GTVA thing is universally accepted, it seems that the distinction between stuff we make up and stuff   made up is small... That's why this whole topic was started, anyway, most people aren't as much against the idea as you... And it would do a lot of good to at least have it as an option.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Why not?
Well, just look around you and find someone who actually agrees with you... That's the best proof that nobody wants to use user made campaigns as basis for all the other campaigns.

SCREW CANON!