Author Topic: Which Campaigns are official canon?  (Read 12125 times)

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Which Campaigns are official canon?
Would I be bothering with this topic if I wasn't trying to demostrate how this would be a good idea? I think you missed the point, I don't just argue for the hell of it... Hopefully, if nobody comes up with a good reason why this idea is not good, people won't just be stubborn, but decide to help do something about it...

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
I was wondering when you'd lower the conversation again, Setekh. Read the sig, I made it just for you.

------------------
Left Behind:
 www.wpierce.com/wlp/FS2/lbmain.html

I'm right.
You're wrong.
Any questions?(Shut up back there!)

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Now that that's cleared up, any actual input?

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp

Originally posted by Stryke 9:
Hopefully, if nobody comes up with a good reason why this idea is not good, people won't just be stubborn, but decide to help do something about it...

Alright, let's see:
  • No good way of choosing the best campaign for background.
  • Creativity will be stifled.
  • A lot of campaigns will suddenly become 'wrong' simply because some fans decide their interpretation is best.
  • A lot of people will not go along with it anyway.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions

and you're on my turf.      
Although I'm not full on entering the topic because I don't care to show my opinion at this time, I was reading through the whole thing and felt compelled to point this out.

Setekh = HLP Staff
This forum = HLP 0wned.
Therefore this forum = 0wned by Setekh.

Go figure    

Setekh's note: Why didn't I think of that? Wait, I did...    

Thunder's Additional note: Yeah but I thought he might needed repeated... just in case.

Setekh's Additional Additional note:  guess he needs to be told twice, huh?

------------------
|   | ICQ:57179504 |
Co-Creator:  Hard Light Productions
Webmaster: Sounds of Thunder

[This message has been edited by Setekh (edited 07-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Thunder (edited 07-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Setekh (edited 07-28-2001).]

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
The first one... true. But it'd have to be assembled from multiple campaigns anyway (take Derelict again, the one everyone takes for granted would have to be included- does it really CHANGE all that much on a larger scale? OK- GTVA messed up after war- find a campaign that doesn't include this. Occasional small Shivan invasions- same. See? there are some things that are generally included in a background anyway. Don't like a bit of history/ whatever? Ignore it. It's just a source of ideas anyway- there's no punishment or mass indignation if something isn't mentioned. And besides, if you haven't noticed, it's a big galaxy- plenty of room for different things, and news could not travel fast. But you're more or less right on the background bit. How about MODs, images, etc.? There's more than stories that run a campaign, and since like many have observed, everybody, his cousin, and his cousin's dog have ideas for campaigns they want made, a source plot would become kinda an issue... Making campaigns is the hard bit.
Second one... Think I answered it satisfactorily.
Third- So? Screw what's right and what's wrong. Lots of campaigns I've seen even contradict the Volition version in minor ways, and if they don't wanna be "correct" then nobody's gonna make them, this is just something to aid the process.
Fourth- A lot of people wouldn't go along with it if it was the best idea in the world. People are stubborn- people dealing with utter fiction doubly so. Let them not go along. If so many don't want it that it never happens- hell, I can manage a campaign (more or less) on my own, this is for their sake.

Thunder: Wow. Amazing ability to drag up a dead bad joke (wait a minute- did you even read the original post?!!), and perceive it as the main argument. Consider yourself sufficiently mocked, I don't wanna bother- this is just an argument, and flamewars get boring.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
So does 0wning people like you  

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Sheesh, guys!

In response to the mentioned Star Wars books - they are official. They are endorsed by LucasArts, etc etc. However, George Lucas has specifically stated that he places himself under no obligation whatsoever to make the 7,8 and 9 movies follow the books. If you want I could try and hunt up the reference; I think it's somewhere on the official Star Wars site.

Now, on to the main subject. I think that, intentionally or not, many mission/campaign writers use the Warzone/Derelict campaigns as a basis and background for their stories. However, many do not. Personally, I've made a mission that's already "compatible" with BWO, even though I have no more information on the BWO storyline than any of you. So.

A) You cannot define canon. Period.
B) You can propose that new campaigns be based on the same general premises, as set out in {insert_popular_campaign_name_here}. I agree that having multiple campaigns from many different people fitting together would be neat. And I am positive that everyone else does as well. As a matter of fact, it's a good idea - if you can find the people who are willing to go along with it.

Say you have 9 different people, each heading up the writing and development of a new campaign, that are willing to make sure that their campaigns all work together and have common history references. That would (and I hope, will) be awesome. But despite of widespread acception by even the whole community, this common base cannot and will not be canon. It will be a common base. Simply because canon, by definition, is defined solely by the originators of the idea/product/whatever. Whatever they say/said is canon. If they (Volition, in our case) decide to knight a certain campaign "canon" they can. We, however, cannot.

Now, if after all this you still claim that Warzone/Derelict are canon by default, then you're either thick-headed, dumb, or completely misunderstanding what everyone has been saying.

------------------
"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)

[This message has been edited by sandwich (edited 07-28-2001).]
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
I like this guy. Good going- I can't really refute that... However, I still wanna set up a resource pool that's open to everyone... And it's not canon, it's goatage!

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

I like this guy. Good going- I can't really refute that... However, I still wanna set up a resource pool that's open to everyone... And it's not canon, it's goatage!

It's hard to refute anything of what sandwich says, in  fact  
I hate this guy, he's always right  

[This message has been edited by venom2506 (edited 07-28-2001).]
SCREW CANON!

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
We'll see...
Next time, he's mine!  

Offline Arnav

• Slightly rusty technology
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/techsup

Originally posted by Ace:
Overall I can gladly boast that tBE will have the most extensive and immersive plot of an FS2 campaign yet released, and there

I'm glad you have a smidgen of modesty.

------------------
- Arnav Manchanda
Creator of Technological Superiority: http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/techsup
"At least I have job" - Unidentified Soviet Flak Trooper before being prismed.
- Arnav
Creator of Technological Superiority: http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/techsup
"At least I have job" - Unidentified Soviet Flak Trooper before being prismed.

New question.  Since you say that some user made campaigns build off others, can you give me an example of a series of campaigns that are part of the same storyline?
Power to the Canadian facist conspiracy plot!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Goatage, shmo-tage... call it something simple and accurate, like: "Partially accepted basis for storyline building of fan-made campaigns" or something.  

Originally posted by venom2506:
 It's hard to refute anything of what sandwich says, in  fact    
I hate this guy, he's always right    

Awww... me = blushing!  

We'll see...
Next time, he's mine!  

Give it your best shot, buster!  

Originally posted by GrandAdmiralAbaht:
New question.  Since you say that some user made campaigns build off others, can you give me an example of a series of campaigns that are part of the same storyline?

Yeah, the big 3: Warzone, Derelict and the soon-coming BlackWater Ops (BWO). Course, those 3 are basically made by the same team.

------------------
"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill