Poll

Should we nudge new people in the direction of a specific campaign?

Hell Yes. I'm tired of seeing campaigns die
28 (80%)
Hell No. We might scare them out of the community if we seem too draconian
2 (5.7%)
Maybe. I've got some ideas on how you should change your proposal (post below)
5 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: August 26, 2004, 12:36:03 pm

Author Topic: Newbie campaigns and FRED  (Read 12807 times)

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Newbie campaigns and FRED
Well now...unfortunately, I haven't taken the time to read simply...4 pages of this thread, but let me just say that it piques my interest quite a bit. I DID read the Karajorma's very first post, so I at least know what this is about.

Incidentally, I stumbled across this thread when TopAce posted it for one of our new members, Gai Daigoji, to check out. Now I'd like to say flat out that I love this idea. I've experienced enough to know that any idea like this is worth a good shot because I've been there and done that. Sadly, I was once one of the n00bs with a potential talent for FREDding. However, as time went by and my skills were unnoticed/unprovided for, I found that they dissipated and my interest in this game did as well. I was lucky enough to come back, however, around the time that the SCP was starting. I signed on DatDB, a campaign with high hopes, as a FREDder, not fully understand what I was doing and how I could contribute. Time went by and we thought we were getting the ball rolling. However, the story never finished, and currently, the project is drifting on the line between corporeal and ethereal, almost, if not already, dead. Anyway there to see it grow would be shocked to hear such a great project die. But one of the most notable things I could remember is the fact that we had a bunch of models, anis, weapons, and a very solid story to go by, but there were barely any missions FREDded. I basically had the glory of that little blue and red icon next to my name.

Now, I find this to be a good chance for me to un-n00b myself. Sign me up!

Offline magatsu1

the one thing I hate about FREDing is coming up with scenarios. I could do a few missions, but my work rate is pretty shocking.
(Hey, I work allday 'kay ?)
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by AqueousShadow
Now, I find this to be a good chance for me to un-n00b myself. Sign me up!

Glad to hear you're interested. I'll be starting up a thread for the sign ups in a little bit. I just need to pick a campaign for us all to work on.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
cool, count me in aswell !

Offline mr.WHO

Count me too, it's time to do something for HLP.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Don't remember [BACKSPACE! BACKSPACE! BACKSPACE! BACKSPACE!] forget that I singed up as well.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
:) Nice to see the enthusiasm is still there :) I'm currently waiting for Black Wolf to send my his plotline. So don't think the inactivity on the other thread means I've forgotten :)

I'm planning to get the ball rolling on this before the weekend so that I'll have the entire weekend to deal with submissions :)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
School starts tomorrow, I take my Language exams on the 3rd and the 6th, so do not count on any useful help by me this week. I am in my last year, preparing for the A-level exam(called 'Maturity' in Hungary) so my next two semesters are going to be busier than the previous ones. If this thing gets started(FRED Academy), I will only be able to render a mild amount of help. And I have still not mentioned Star Wars Conversion, the Renegade Ressurgence patch and the Journey to Epsilon Pegasi campaigns.

So, eh ... in a word ... I will see what I can do, but do not expect things what I do happen quickly.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
i can't wait!  :) oh and Singh, you said that you could help out reviewing missions, well could you have a look at my mission.

and sorry if the docking operation takes forever, coz ive got 2 corvettes docking with each other, and sometimes it just doesnt go to plan. :eek2:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 12:41:06 am by 1659 »

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Originally posted by Pilot Of The US
coz ive got 2 corvettes docking with each other
It's usually best not to have capital ships trying to dock with each other. Although, it'd probably work pretty well with a custom docking path and dockpoint made specifically for the mission though.

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
Well, yeah you're right. But i think in my mission ive got an "Iceni dock path fix" upgrade so that should help with the problems with the docking.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Even with that, the path will still be designed for a transport. What I meant was a path for a capital ship to use that would result in it not going through the other capital ship and would also line it up and position it well. This sort of thing would still have problems undocking anyway.

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
Yeah, i see what you mean. But ive run through the mission a dozen times and about 3 out of those 12, is where it takes a long time for the ships to dock.

btw, this mission was made for FS2 vanila. Can these new docking paths be implemented for vanila?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The sign up thread for this little project is now up.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,26744.0.html

All the newbie FREDders should take a look :)

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
yay! *goes to sign up*

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Pilot Of The US
Yeah, i see what you mean. But ive run through the mission a dozen times and about 3 out of those 12, is where it takes a long time for the ships to dock.

btw, this mission was made for FS2 vanila. Can these new docking paths be implemented for vanila?

In a word, yes, though you have to make sure if you're downloading fixed dockpoint pofs that they're not high poly versions designed for HTL.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
oh i see. Well the mission is pretty old, so i dont think i'll be updating it anyway. It was just a little something to see how it would be to have the Iceni captured.

However for a twist, i made some story about how the shivans had built/captured/aquired infomation from Bosh, etc..... But the problem is that the Iceni doesnt look like it has been made by the shivans.

Offline Kie99

EDIT: Sorry, wrong topic
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"