Author Topic: Fleets in FS1  (Read 3235 times)

Offline Andreas

• Ai No Koriida
I'm thinking about the 14th year war, FS1, here. I suppose a single fleet (or battle group), always had only one Orion-class destroyer. It would seem to be logical, as "the cost to build one of these far outweighs the cost of paying the crew of this ship for 3 years". So, looking up at the briefings and tech room descriptions, I've so far found out this:

GTD Amadeus was the flagship of the 3rd fleet, until being destroyed in 1/25/35 by the Shivans in the Vega system.

GTD Bastion is the flagship of the 5th fleet, as the briefing for the mission Hammer and the Anvil states that "A strike squad sent from the 5th fleet was able to recover some Shivan shield prototypes". This is an obvious reference to the previous mission.

GTD Eisenhower was the flagship of the 4th fleet, before being destroyed by a PVD Typhon in the Vega system on or about 2333 (tech room "...in the two years since this ship first appeared..."). In fact the whole 4th fleet was destroyed, which raises the question, was this fleet ever re-formed, or did they simply create a new fleet to replace the destroyed one.

That leaves us the GTD Galatea, GTD Intrepid and the GTD Minnow with no fleet assignment mentioned (as far as I remember, correct if I am wrong). From the ref bible: "There is no more important symbol of Terran Pride than a ship like the Galatea or the Intrepid cruising past a colonized planet, patrolling the system and ensuring safety." So obviously both of these ships are top-of-the-line, and would propably be stationed in a more important fleet, such as the 1st (Sol?) or the 2nd. And what about Minnow? Unless they reformed the 4th fleet, propably the 6th. Pure speculation, this part, thought.

So...what are your thoughts?
"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." - Jonathan Swift
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Offline Kie99

The only time I can remember the GTD Minnow being mentioned is in All Hands to War.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
The Galatea was stationed in Epsilon Pegasi...I think.  The Minnow was in Deneb, because it was supposed to be the destroyed that was holed in the FS2 intro.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Andreas

• Ai No Koriida
Originally posted by kietotheworld
The only time I can remember the GTD Minnow being mentioned is in All Hands to War.

Playing Judas command briefing excerpt:
"The Intrepid and the Minnow will be in charge of protecting the Antares-Vasuda Prime node..."

EDIT: Added the quote.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 01:31:20 pm by 1607 »
"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." - Jonathan Swift

Offline Andreas

• Ai No Koriida
Originally posted by Liberator
The Galatea was stationed in Epsilon Pegasi...I think.

:wtf: Where did you get this, If I may ask? GTD Galatea never even entered the whole bloody system, it was never mentioned in Conflict Freespace, correct?

The Minnow was in Deneb, because it was supposed to be the destroyed that was holed in the FS2 intro.

Yeah, not to mention that whole intro had holes the size of Nebraska :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 01:35:03 pm by 1607 »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Originally posted by Ai No Koriida

Yeah, not to mention that whole intro had holes the size of Nebraska :rolleyes:

Well, the intro IS canon, holes or not.

Your first missions flown from the Galatea were in Antares. However, I doubt that the Terran fleets of FS1 were "stationed" in a system. They were probably free-roaming.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 02:22:15 pm by 2191 »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I think free-roaming fleets fits better with what we know of FS1.  The ref bible says something along the lines of "When an Orion stays in a system for a short time, the citizens are happy.  When it stays for a long time, the citizens become afraid, for where an Orion goes, war is sure to follow."

Epsilon Pegasi isn't even labelled on the Volition node map, which probably means it was recently discovered.  If that's the case, they wouldn't have time to put a fleet there.

And the Orion in the FS2 intro is the GTD Legion.  Adam Pletcher said so on the VBB.

Incidentally, the first appearance of the Typhon was in 2333.  If the Eisenhower was destroyed right away, it could have been replaced by the time FS1 took place.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Definately free roaming...

That was indeed the GTD Legion in the intro though... I didn't make a mistake THAT big... :p ... I'm still debating about what happens to the Minnow in AHTW though, as it was wasted in Awakenings, but i don't know...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Andreas

• Ai No Koriida
Yeah, I knew that the ship in the intro was (supposedly) the Legion. I was just referring to the fact that that intro still has a lot of things wrong with it, so I absolutely didn't mean to offend anybody by what I said :D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 02:26:40 am by 1607 »

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
Originally posted by Liberator
The Galatea was stationed in Epsilon Pegasi...I think.

Nope, if anything it started out in Betelgeuse.  There's probably an assigned fleet to Sol, and they rotate fleets in and out of the frontline systems (Vega, Antares).  The rest of the fleets move around in the vast frontier systems (systems beyond Vega basically).

And the Orion in the FS2 intro is the GTD Legion. Adam Pletcher said so on the VBB.

Not exactly.  What he said was that the Orion there didn't have a name, and if the person asking wanted to call it the GTD Legion, he could (it was some background story for a campaign if I remember right).  I think it was probably intended to be the Galatea, but the fight it was in didn't follow FS1 much.

We can call it the Legion for no other reason that we really don't have a better name for it.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline Andreas

• Ai No Koriida
Originally posted by Eishtmo

Not exactly.  What he said was that the Orion there didn't have a name, and if the person asking wanted to call it the GTD Legion, he could (it was some background story for a campaign if I remember right).  I think it was probably intended to be the Galatea, but the fight it was in didn't follow FS1 much.

We can call it the Legion for no other reason that we really don't have a better name for it.

This is pretty much what I meant to say. Since they dont never show the nameplate, and there also isn't any Legion mentioned in the main campaign :p, I wouldnt call it exactly to be canon. There is one good thing about the intro though, the date when the Galatea and SD Eva were destroyed suits the 2/28 (the Battle of Deneb) mentioned in the intro, since they didn't give any dates on the Evangelist and Doomsday missions.

But! There never were any Vasudan ships! That is just ridiculous propaganda fed by those headz-eating, sandcrawling boneheads!  :drevil: It was the finest of the GTA against the night! :D

Offline Kie99

Plus there were no Fenrises, Leviathans, Cains or Liliths
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by ngtm1r

Well, the intro IS canon, holes or not.

I doubt it - the in game missions override the cutscenes as canon, and there are tonnes of things directly contradicted by V missions, such as the location of the Hades, the missile points on the Manticore, etc, etc.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Lets not forget Lucys 'eye beam' beam cannon... installed, then removed, for the filming of the intro :)

Lets SoD it away; the intro is plainly from the perspective of a young GTVA pilot (your character) about events he has only heard of as history, a history about the fall of mankind and the loss of Earth.  It's probably more influenced by the 'Max Steel - One Man Against The Darkness' movies than actual facts; particularly given that Colossus wasn't finished yet, etc etc.  His political views are suspect (Vasudans go home!), so is his grasp of history(He totally crashed near the Hades, man!).  Its hardly a problem, since basically everyone who saw the Lucifer fire her beams was killed.  Discovery Channel makes mistakes like that all the time ;)

I always assumed that the Orion in the FS2 intro was the Galatea! I thought the other ships were added for eye-candy, to represent the other ships in the system at the time. I only know of the Galatea and Bastion being in Deneb at the time, but I'm probably wrong.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Has anyone looked up that wing designation symbol on the Herc's side? Might point it to a capital ship, since FS2 and FS1 have specific wings assigned to specific ships.

Offline Andreas

• Ai No Koriida
Originally posted by SuperCoolAl
I always assumed that the Orion in the FS2 intro was the Galatea! I thought the other ships were added for eye-candy, to represent the other ships in the system at the time. I only know of the Galatea and Bastion being in Deneb at the time, but I'm probably wrong.

The ship in the intro suits being the Galatea, because of the date and system (2/28/35 and Deneb),exactly where the missions Evangelist and Doomdays occurred, so yeah, at least something good came out of that intro.

There are lots of interesting little inconsistencies, just off the top of my head, what the hell is a Faustus class science ship doing in the battle?

The whole intro looks mainly to have been simply just an eye-candy lead-in, rather than any attempt to make an integrated backstory production. The cut-scene artists were probably given a general outline and script and told to have it ready by Tuesday or something.

Trying to integrate that type of thinking into a canon storyline requires a lot of ignoring the inconsistencies. Better off just to put it as a vehicle to introduce the general story rather than anything more serious.
All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.
And a laughing yarn from a merry fellow rover.
And a quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.
- JOHN MASEFIELD

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Considering what they were dealing with, perhaps Admiral Wolf decided he needed every little bit of firepower he could muster, so he shanghai'd all the GTA ships in the system to join the Galatea on the blockade. Or at least all the ones he could get to before the Bastion's commander did the same.

Or perhaps they figured the safest place to park a science cruiser would be near a destroyer, and didn't figure on the Lucifer.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
But it's not the Galatea.  It's the Legion.  It's been stated as the Legion time and time again.  The Galatea was ambushed and destroyed by the Lucifer in deep space, not to mention that canonically she was desintegrated rather than impaled.  And there were no ships about.  I always looked at the FS1 intro as one of the many great war battles that Alpha 1 didn't see, as he was busy elsewhere trying to save earth.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM