Author Topic: Sol w/ multiple nodes?  (Read 8727 times)

Offline Striker

Sol w/ multiple nodes?
I was just plaiyng through my copy of FS1 and noticed during the Taranis mission briefing there were 3 nodes leading from Sol. One was to Alpha Centauri, one to Beta Aquilae, and the last to Delta Serpentis. Anyone ever noticed this? :confused:
...lurk

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
We all tend to disregard the inconsistencies in the FS1 nodemap. There's too many to count.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Adam Pletcher, lead designer told us, back in 1998: The animations for command briefs was made before the node map or the story was finalized.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
ph34r the w0rd of Pl3tch3r!
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Andreas

• Ai No Koriida
They dont exist in FS2, but in FS1 if you examine the briefings, the GTD Galatea & co. uses all these "un-existing" nodes, and in the end cinematic it is said that "All the jump points from Earth have been destroyed."
"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." - Jonathan Swift
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Originally posted by Ai No Koriida
They dont exist in FS2, but in FS1 if you examine the briefings, the GTD Galatea & co. uses all these "un-existing" nodes, and in the end cinematic it is said that "All the jump points from Earth have been destroyed."

Its more than just Sol.  There's plenty of nodes in the CB anims that don't actually exist according to a final, finished, canon nodemap from Volition.

Refer to my original post for reasons why.

If you need to explain it out in terms of story...then yes the Lucifer took down all of the nodes in Sol.  However, this contradicts what happened to the Bastion in FS2.

In either case...its a story/development issue...not really something we should worry about.
- IceFire

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
We'll just say the Lucy blowing up made them all unstable somehow.

How's that sound?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Originally posted by ngtm1r
We'll just say the Lucy blowing up made them all unstable somehow.

How's that sound?

Again...contradicts what happened when the Bastion took out the Capella-Epsilon Pegasi node.  The other two nodes were still intact (to Gamma Draconis and to Vega).
- IceFire

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Not if the Lucifers explosion was several orders of magnitude due to the extremely unstable and powerful nature of shivan reactor technology bracket slash technobabble.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Originally posted by Black Wolf
reactor technology bracket slash technobabble.

Whats with not just typing a / ?
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Originally posted by Hippo

Whats with not just typing a / ?

comedy
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
uh huh...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
I wrote this up a while back, and it's stricktly from the campaign/mission briefings:

*Antares - Vasuda Jump Node exists
*Betelgeuse-Antares Jump Node exists near an asteroid field
*Antares - Ribos Jump Node exists
*Antares-Beta Cygni Jump Node exists in center of dense asteroid field
*Beta Cygni-Ribos Jump Node exists - the "less direct Jump Node to Sol"
*Beta Cygni-? Jump Node exists - the "more direct Jump Node to Sol"
*Ribos-Antares Jump Node exists and must be secured to reach *Vasuda Prime from Antares
*Deneb-Vega Jump Node
*Deneb-Altair Jump Node
*Delta Serpentis-Sol Jump Node
*Sirius-Delta Serpentis Jump Node
*Only two subspace jumps between the Lucifer fleet in Ribos and the Vasudan homeworld.
*Dozens of star systems off the Ribos node
*Alternate route to Vasuda Prime from Ribos through (1) Antares and (2) Beta Aquilae
*Alpha Centauri-Vasuda Jump Node
*Alpha Centauri-Aldebaran
*Alpha Centauri- Sirius Jump Node

Antares/Vasuda - On map
Betelgeuse/Antares - Not
Antares/Beta Cygni - On map
Beta Cygni/Ribos - Not
Ribos/Antares - On map
Deneb/Vega - On map
Deneb/Altair - Not
Delta Serpentis/Sol - On map
Dozens of stars systems off Ribos node - NOT
Beta Aquilea/Vasuda - Not
Alpha Centauri/Vasuda - On map
Alpha Centauri/Aldebaran - On map
Alpha Centauri/Sirius - On map

In other words, the inconsistancies are more wide spread than just the ani files.  FS2 is much cleaner about it.

I tend to lean towards the explination in one of the tech rooms, where many of the nodes are very unstable and short lived, so the extra nodes off Sol were just stable enough to list on the ani's, but after the Lucifer, they collapsed completely.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Lets be honest; extra-textually, Volition were just lazy.  They COULD have stuck with 'all the nodes have been...' but changed it to just one.  They removed alot of other nodes too, just to make their silly map look better.  I much prefered the FS style 'nodes ahoy' to the FS2 'one to three nodes each please, watch your fingers' style.  We can all just handwave 'subspace instability' and its okay, but it would have been better if they hadn't messed it up to start with.  I imagine the closed-but-not-Delta Serpentis nodes would be easier to stabilise again :)

Offline Grimloq

• Backslash enthusiast
i like BWs technobabble.

besides, the high concentration of technology on earth maybe had an effect... >_<

besides, the bastion exploded farther into the node than the lucy, which was like 2/3 out (IIRC)
A alphabetically be in organised sentences should words.

Watching the Bastion explode and then the Lucifer explode, the two are very different.

The Bastion explodes, releasing a shockwave, while entering the node, is destroyed before the node closes and the pieces sucked into the node before the node closes.

The Lucifer is breaking up as it leaves the node, lets loose a shockwave as the node closes and shears the Lucifer into two, then the part that sends off another shockwave before finally exploding.

Although I don't believe :V: intended for it to account for the three other nodes, let's pretend it does XD

Offline Andreas

• Ai No Koriida
I wonder why V decided to ditch all those jump nodes, after all, even if those nodes would have been there in FS2, it wouldn't have affected the story a bit, since even in FS1 there was only one node to Capella from Vega (not mentioned by name, but there are a lot of outer systems in the CB-anims in FS1, that are not labeled.

I've actually drawn a map of all the jump nodes of FS1 on paper. It took a little while, but it was well worth it. Why hasn't nobody made a FS1 nodemap, with all the missing nodes? It is quite strange to just ignore all these nodes, because there literally are dozens of nodes that just simply ceased to exist in FS2. :ha: If they would have been removed from FS1, the story would be a LOT different. Just replay the FS1 campaign, and pay attention. Think about it! :o
"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." - Jonathan Swift
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Cause without Sol being gone there would be no "lost generation"
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
And because FS2's storyline required much more strategy; there were battle lines drawn and tactics to be considered. In FS1 it was just Shivans pouring in from all over the place.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...