Author Topic: cool stuff and ideas that may not work.  (Read 5957 times)

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
cool stuff and ideas that may not work.
Originally posted by ngtm1r
*coughHiddenTerrorlivesAFAIKcough*

A Vausdan version of the Main Campaign would be interesting, but I'm not so sure about an NTF one; mainly because the NTF loses, after all.

well, what happens to the NTF after they surrender?... the pilots, that is. would they be absorbed into the GTVA under some special conditions?

and i remember hidden terror, but i've head so little about it recently.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Turnsky
and... we all remember descent, what about complex flying missions where you have to say, blast a door apart with a bomb, then haveta shoot stuff up inside.. like a reactor or fuel/ammo dump, ai might need to be upgraded in order not to have your wingmen try to fly through rock or steel.

yes...thaT would be a really good Idea. i hOpe someone Works up somethiNg like that Soon. You cOuld pUt the player pretty much anywhere you wanted with a system like that.

:nervous:
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
l4m0r. :p
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
well, what happens to the NTF after they surrender?... the pilots, that is. would they be absorbed into the GTVA under some special conditions?

What NTF? They pretty much all got killed in the second act. Only two ships made it through the Knossos and from the sounds of it everything else got wiped out IIRC.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
okay, since i've been given a few ideas, i figured i'd post 'em here..h
here goes..

For "mercenary" type campaigns:
-Quick Load menu system where one chooses the mission, and for what reward... could be experience, could be ships, weapons..money, you get the idea..
-mission "templates" like if you have to visit the same system repeatedly and has to be the same bar a few variables in it... like frieghter A docked at station C, and so on. could save on tedium when designing, too.
- Co-ordinate/destination/autopiloting call it what you will, but the option to choose your ultimate destination between various mission areas.. just choose a destination, and jump out..  fairly easy
-player "inventory" kinda like your standard mission loadout, only it keeps track of the ships that you have, weapons, etc..

using this kinda system, somebody with a lot of time could theoretically map the ENTIRITYof GTVA space (and then some), in fred..

i do realise that some of these would require extensive reworking of the SCP code.. but hey, better to have hard to reach goals, than to have none at all .
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
How about flickering lights when a capship is under heavy fire?

I think this could be done by simply turning the glow effect on and off for the duration of the heavy attack.

Of course, that wouldn't work for parts mapped with no glowmap parts.

So...aynone know if this is possible?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by TrashMan
Of course, that wouldn't work for parts mapped with no glowmap parts.

If it doesn't have any glowmaps you'd have no lights to flicker on and off anyway :p

As far as I can see you can do this pretty easily using Goober's new conditionals and a repeating event. Since I've only got a limited number of capships in SoR I think I might try this one out in my campaign :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
i do realise that some of these would require extensive reworking of the SCP code
Not really.  I did Freespacelancer in FRED retail alone; and you can do everything you proposed quite easily with persistent variables.  All that's needed is a mission designer with the time and motivation to do it.

As for quick mission loading... have you tried 3.6.5 yet?  Thanks to taylor's IBX code and caching, the missions load very quickly.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
Originally posted by Goober5000
As for quick mission loading... have you tried 3.6.5 yet?  Thanks to taylor's IBX code and caching, the missions load very quickly.

i was referring to... dock at station, loads up loading/mission choice screen, pick one, it loads the one you choose, and off you go.  :)
   //Warning\\

Offline Falcon

If you want that then you might as well play Freelancer :p

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
i was referring to... dock at station, loads up loading/mission choice screen, pick one, it loads the one you choose, and off you go.  :)
It's still possible with 3.6.5.  When the player docks at the station, display a training message with the choices.  Then have the player press 1, 2, 3, or 4, trigger the end-mission sexp, and branch to the mission you selected. :)

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Glowmaps flickering off (meaning they actually go out finally) during a ship's death-roll would be hella cool. Also there should be more and more persistant "flame" particles (see Lucifer destruction in FS1).

Aand last but not lest...

Spoiler:

Thrusters? *sobs*
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Ok - I tought of a good thing.

To have all ships and weapons in the Team Loadout in FRED turned OFF by default. Or at least the -D versions!!!!!

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
here's another..

multiple IFF designations
currently we have Friendly, Enemy, and Neutral.. expand that (especially the enemy field) to allow for crossfire between different warring factions... for example
Shivans vs Terrans vs Vasudans vs Ancients vs NTF and so on, something like that would make for one helluva impressive furball..
   //Warning\\

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I was saying that ages ago....

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
right, this one's less of an idea, and more of a thought on if/when the high poly colossus is made, if you wanna still keep the overall design of the ship the same, but want to keep it as canon as possible, try angling the ventral engine tower towards the stern a bit, that way, it looks a bit more "faster" and hopefully, less like a gun. ;)
   //Warning\\

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
IIRC, the concept art for the Colossus had that a bit....it looks way better then the final model for sure.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
here's another..

multiple IFF designations
I'm *cough* working on that. :nervous:

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Originally posted by Goober5000
I'm *cough* working on that. :nervous:

IFF table?

It would be useful if we could set the IFF so one faction is hostile towards another - while the later remains neutral and will only fire if fired upon.

So we can have a NxN table (N:= number of factions) and set the IFF a faction will handle the other with.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
YAY! thanks Goob..

B.t.w. - while you are at it, can you make that Team Loadout fixage (all -D weapons turned off by default or ALL weapons/ships turned off by default)?