Author Topic: Freespace TV  (Read 2118 times)

Offline tofu

I'm becomming a fan of the battlestar galactica series on sci fi.  It got me thinking about freespace and got me started playing it again.  That's what brought me to this forum.

It's also made me wonder, if the scifi channel has the money to spend on a custom TV series, why don't they make one in the freespace universe?  The backstory and technology are all there, the universe is actually more rich and well fleshed out than the battlestar galactica universe.  It seems like a slam dunk to me.

I know it will never happen, but it's fun to dream.

Offline Nuclear1

Sure would be interesting. Doubt that they would get it anywhere near off the ground though, unless they somehow got THQ/Interplay/whoever-the-hell-owns-FS to OK it. :)

I think I had a script going somewhere a few years ago based in the Freespace universe... I'll see if I can fish it up.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Kie99

Someone said once that if you made a film of Freespace 2 people would be coming out of the cinema saying
"They should make a game out of that!" :lol:
BTW
:welcome:
Tofu!
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline tofu

thanks for the welcome.

Who actually owns the rights to freespace?  Isn't volition out of business?  I only ask because now that I think about it, if there was actually a replay feature in the game, you could almost do a TV series yourself (and by you I mean a talented film student or something).

Let's see, you'd need some cheap constumes, a few CG sets and the ability to bluescreen them, some starving actors and a script.  Eh, maybe not.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Interplay owns the rights, Interplay is going out of business.

What you just said would only require a few thousand dollars and some bored teenagers to do. :p

There is actually some demo/replay code in the FS2 codebase, no one has really looked over it AFAIK, although daveb mentioned it in the walkthrough.
-C

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
Originally posted by nuclear1

I think I had a script going somewhere a few years ago based in the Freespace universe... I'll see if I can fish it up.

That would be great to see :D
No surrender, no retreat.

We've got a new target, bearing 192 by 328 by 291! Commence plasma core insertion! FIRE!

:welcome:

*clears throat*

Hello, tofu. I am admiral InfernoGod, writer of the useless freespace report. And stuff. Instructions can be found below:

Exits are to the sides and rear. Water guns are under the seats for what they're worth. One or two might even have holy water. If you encounter any Shivans while crawling in the air ducts, hopefully it's only Carl. Give him your lunch and hope he doesn't kill you with his fusion-cannon-thingy. Plasma rifles are located in the lockers up front. However these can only be opened by [V], God, an Admin, or a hyperintelligent shade of the color blue. Do not try to enter the control room as it is guarded by claymore mines. Thank you, and enjoy your stay!

Now, if you will plz get in the line so we can collect your head:
:headz:

If you need a map of the first floor, look at this link: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,29504..0.html It's the one at the bottom that was completed by an0n.

Enjoy your stay.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 05:49:49 pm by 1943 »