Author Topic: external weapon documentation  (Read 6441 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
external weapon documentation
I've just about got the external weapon code done, mostly I need testing, but for that you need to know how to use it.
so

first off, you need (for primary waepons, this is an option for secondary as they already have a model) to make and specify in the tables a model to be rendered on a per weapon basis on the hull, on each weapon point useing the table entree "$External Model File:", this goes right after the regular model file entree that is in every weapon. the model file you make may optionaly specify additional primary fireing points (again only for primary weapons) these points will be used in place of the hard points in the ship's pof (each one will be vector added to the fireing point of the ship thus fireing from the corect place on the weapon model)
so far everything I've said is optional for secondary weapons, now is the important part for both of them.
in the ships table, you must specify wich banks are to have weapon models rendered, directly below were you specify for capacities (this _is_ an option for primarys, it is below default loadout) you need the following:
$Show Weapon Models:     (yes,no)
you can have as many 'yes/no's as you have banks for that weapon system (and it isn't too picky about capitaliseation)
there is also an optional "$Weapon Model Draw Distance:" (placed directly before "$Allowed PBanks:") beond this distance the weapon models will not render (actualy I forgot to implement this but as soon as I get home tonight I'm codeing it) it defaults to 200 meters if you don't tell it any better

also there is _highly_ untested code for haveing subobjects on primary weapon models rotate when you fire the primarys, to activate add under "$External Model File:" the optional lines "$Submodel Rotation Speed:" and "$Submodel Rotation Acceleration:" with apropriate values (floats), *AND* add the string "$gun_rotation:" to the submodel properties of any submodel you want to have spin, it currently is only posable to have them spin around the Z axis, but I have a feeling that is the only one that would ever get used.
(looks at Nuke)

the most up to date version of my animation code is in this too, but that is not the purpose of this thread.

please, I beg of you test this, there are so many posable ways this can go wrong, and I only have so much time to test it myself

finaly the build
http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater/fs2_open_r_wm.zip

also for your amusement, a pic from one of the tests
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 10:47:00 am by 57 »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline übermetroid

• Current Father Of Samus
  • He who dares wins.
um...  nice weapon?  :D
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Hmmmm. Almost makes me tempted to try modelling a fighter :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Like I said in the other thread, this is all well and good, but it's begining to show how completely out of scale our weapons models are.

I mean... This looks Ridiculous:

And there's no way the ship is holding more than the 6 of them. Ever. :p
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 11:14:34 am by 273 »
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yes well that's why it's off by default
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Originally posted by Raa
Like I said in the other thread, this is all well and good, but it's begining to show how completely out of scale our weapons models are.

I mean... This looks Ridiculous:

And there's no way the ship is holding more than the 6 of them. Ever. :p

Those are bombs though.  They aren't meant to be carried by a Serapis, but by a ship 3x the size of a Serapis.  For that, they are in scale.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Lynx

Bobdude, you're the man.:yes:

Are the missile models now affected by ingame lightin, or still unlit?
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by Liberator

Those are bombs though.  They aren't meant to be carried by a Serapis, but by a ship 3x the size of a Serapis.  For that, they are in scale.

No, actually, they're TAG-B missiles. :doubt:

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
intresting. very intresting. probibly not gonna be able to use this for my 50mm+ guns as those were designed to be integrated as part of the ship. however i can use this for bolt on goodies like beam cannons and such. dont suppose you could have a weapon model with a turret? bolt on turret anyone? but il make a phalanx gatling gun for testing. i swear i have at least 50 modeled gatling guns laying around so it shouldnt be too hard to come up with a weapon model.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Mav

Originally posted by Raa

No, actually, they're TAG-B missiles. :doubt:

... looks like their size should be reduced by a factor of 2, then.
But still, most regular FS fighters (and bombers, for that matter) are supposed to carry their missiles internally - so it's good that this is now optional. (I can't wait to see it on some WC2 fighters, though :D )
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

-----------------------------------
capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
did anyone ever make a "no reload" weapon flag?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Mav

Originally posted by Nuke
did anyone ever make a "no reload" weapon flag?

... would be useful, methinks. :nod:
Sadly not heard of it being implemented so far.
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i modeled a gatling gun and im trying to get them to work, however bob's instructions sound like he was too excited and are confusing as hell :D i think im misinterpreting something.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Wait a tick! Bob's using my Ares! :D

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yup, I have a whole mish-mash of things installed.

I wasn't exited so much as in a rush, I only had a few minutes to look up everything and type it down.

you know rather than being 'no reload' you could have a triggered animation that has some sort of reloading sleve pop out when the suport ship docks.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
who wouldd want to model it

hey bob do you mind posting table examples, im doing something wrong and i cant figure out what.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
ok i got my guns to show but still no spinny

i didnt realise till now how pisspoor v's gunpoint alignments are till now
« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 12:50:38 am by 766 »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I never actualy tested the getling thing, so it's probly just not working yet.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
So, I don't have the time, but who wanna try a... a... darn, that terran/fish fighter in the pic above, with helios? That should prove, hem, funny.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
for some reason the myrmidon doesnt use its outermost missile launchers. kina lame waste of geometry dont ya think?

Nuke's Scripting SVN