Author Topic: HLP Store  (Read 4385 times)

I just noticed the HLP Store and I really must commend you guys on this. It was hilarious! You guys really did a great job on it. The descriptions are what put it over the top. Hell, I'm thinking of getting a GTVA hat.

However, there is one question I have here (and there's nothing about it in the FAQ). Isn't it illegal to be making money off of images/logos from Freespace, even if you're just using the money to keep the site going? Although, from other posts I have browsed, you guys seem to cover all your bases before doing anything, and who cares? The stuff is cool! I doubt you make enough money for [V] or Interplay to give a damn.

And yes, I am a newbie, so I have no idea where this post should go. Go ahead and shoot me, give me my ritualistic flogging, or whatever--if you can catch me. :p
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 10:47:17 pm by 2743 »

Offline Anaz

:welcome:

That's the traditional way of "welcoming" newbies. I'll let someone else give the spiel.

Also, the store is Galactic Emperor's (or GalEmp as he goes by these days...), so any questions would have to be directed towards him. I think we're operating under the "they don't seem to give a damn" clause.
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

...There's an HLP store?
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Yeah, they have their very own merchandise, where the real money from the game is made. Maybe they should have a link to it somewhere.

Originally posted by Anaz
I think we're operating under the "they don't seem to give a damn" clause.

Yeah, that's what I figured.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
It's not an "official" store in that the admins didn't set it up and aren't making millions behind the scenes, if that's what anyone is thinking.

Which reminds me, I still have got to order my sweatshirt.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...
well yall better get to dealin then:p
Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

Originally posted by Sandwich
It's not an "official" store in that the admins didn't set it up and aren't making millions behind the scenes, if that's what anyone is thinking.

Well of course not, an "official" store probably would've attracted unwanted attention. It's blatantly obvious the profits are used to pay for upkeep of the site.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 12:05:09 am by 2743 »

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...
Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
Originally posted by EtherShock

Well of course not, an "official" store probably would've attracted unwanted attention. It's blatantly obvious the profits are used to pay for upkeep of the site.

I don't know if there is any profit margin on the stuff, but they leech the hosting off gamespy.
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Hmm, well in that case--oh well.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Why did I not know about this? Very, very cool. :)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Bwhahaha...now I may have a present for my friend that I gave an "IOU" birthday present to.

It'd even make up for interest.

...OMG! A node map mousepad! :eek:
-C

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Yep, Galemp has some pretty cool stuff on there. :)

Originally posted by EtherShock
Hmm, well in that case--oh well.

Our hosting is freely provided by GameSpy, with the condition that we display their banner ads. Simple as that!
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

I got the HLP hat, it's great. And it proves the shipping actually works, too.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I've long considered buying something...hmm...that Medusa mousepad looks nice...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Andreas

• Ai No Koriida
I've always wanted to buy that Medusa-mousepad. Whoa, they've even added a GTA cap :eek: Too bad I can't buy 'em. :(
"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." - Jonathan Swift
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
Yes, nobody beat me to the speech! I get to give the welcome spiel, woohoo!

Welcome to HLP!

Exits are to your right and left, and flamethrowers are under your seat. Be careful, though, as they are sometimes filled with water. If this is the case, try to club someone with the non-working shotguns in the weapon closet. Also, be careful while wandering the ventilation shafts, because sometimes Carl the Shivan lurks in there. If you happen to come across him, just toss him your lunch and hope that it satisfies him. If it doesn’t… run. And pray. In the event of an emergency, you can and will be used as a flotation device.  The Plasma rifles in the forward locker are released only under authorization of an Admin, [V] God, and/or hyperintelligent shade of the color blue. Oh, and whatever you do, don't hit on Tiara, no matter how good of an idea it might seem.
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I still want the PVN messenger bag...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Cafe Press > *

I used it get custom office stuff (like mousemats) etc made for me biz. Was cheaper than a big supplier. Awesomeness.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
GTVA Baby Doll T-Shirt - Made for all the five or so females that have registered at HLP
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord