Author Topic: I think I broke the Speed Limit...  (Read 7317 times)

Offline Grey Wolf

I think I broke the Speed Limit...

I almost reached 9000 m/s but I hit the wrong button at ~8700 and went to a dead stop. I've calculated it would take 4 days game time to reach the speed of light in this ship, and 16 days for Warp 2, which is it's max speed. Turns out the engine can't handle Warp 3... :D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2002, 07:43:52 pm by 102 »
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Originally posted by Grey Wolf 2009:

I almost reached 9000 m/s but I hit the wrong button at ~8700 and went to a dead stop. I've calculated it would take 4 days game time to reach the speed of light in this ship, and 16 days for Warp 2, which is it's max speed. Turns out the engine can't handle Warp 3...  

I didn't think that FS could handle those distances. Isn't there a limit to how far and fast you can travel in FS? Apparently not...

By the way, Warp speeds are exponential. Warp 2 is two times the speed of Warp 1, Warp 3 is three times the speed of Warp 2, Warp 4 is four times the speed of Warp 3, etc.

[This message has been edited by Pegasus V (edited 09-11-2001).]

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

I've calculated it would take 4 days game time to reach the speed of light in this ship

Well, that's a neat skill I guess... Stuff you, LDS system...  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Originally posted by Pegasus V:
 I didn't think that FS could handle those distances. Isn't there a limit to how far and fast you can travel in FS? Apparently not...

Yes, the battlefiled is, I believe, a 60 km wide cube.

SCREW CANON!

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...

Originally posted by venom2506:
Yes, the battlefiled is, I believe, a 60 km wide cube.

Well according to that shot, hes 4346.157km away from that Lillith...

------------------
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.

Offline Nico

• Venom

Originally posted by Thorn:
Well according to that shot, hes 4346.157km away from that Lillith...

IA ships have no limits and can be put outside of the battlefield. But the player will collide with himself as soon as he will leave the area.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Grey Wolf

That Lilith is in the very center of the battlefield. I started right next to it. I would be long gone if not for that "invulnerable" tag...
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Grey Wolf

By the way, Warp speeds are exponential. Warp 2 is two times the speed of Warp 1, Warp 3 is three times the speed of Warp 2, Warp 4 is four times the speed of Warp 3, etc.

I thought it was the Warp Factor Squared x C, so Warp 2 would be 12000000 m/s and Warp 3 27000000 m/s.

Offline Grey Wolf

Warp 1 has been reached!

This was taken ~4 Light Minutes (1 Light Minute = 180000 km) from the Lilith. I managed to increase the acceleration 24x the original acceleration rate.

I thought it was the Warp Factor Squared x C, so Warp 2 would be 12000000 m/s and Warp 3 27000000 m/s.[/B]

Actually, I think you're right... I just knew it wasn't  like Warp 5 is five times the speed of light, etc.

Offline Grey Wolf

I actually got that from an ancient shareware game called Trek Trivia. It actually asks whether your monitor is Color or Monochrome!

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
All this talk of big numbers. My head is full.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Nico

• Venom

Originally posted by Setekh:
All this talk of big numbers. My head is full.

mine fried  
SCREW CANON!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Warp 1 has been reached!

This was taken ~4 Light Minutes (1 Light Minute = 180000 km) from the Lilith. I managed to increase the acceleration 24x the original acceleration rate.

I've one question: why is the Lilith disabled?    

------------------
America, stand assured that Israel truly understands what you are going through.

"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Anduril

So it can't chase him.  

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
700 million meters away.... good god.. Imagine going that far using an unedited Ursa...
3 weeks later the pilot is dead from starvation and hes still only gone 1/1000th of the way...

------------------
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard kids! Be evil!

Offline Grey Wolf

Originally posted by sandwich:
I've one question: why is the Lilith disabled?    
The Lilith's disabled because I ran the tests for the Thor cannon in this same exact mission. The Lilith's also disarmed. In addition there are 2 cargo containers, but they're just target practice, as is the Lilith. This is really just my basic ship/weapon testing mission. If I'm testing a fighter, I just add some fighters in; a weapon I leave it the same; a generic MOD, depends...

Offline KillMeNow

• The Empire Lives
i once set the burners to a very slow rate of change in speed but a very very very very very veyr veyr high top speed so it was light real physics i burned upto speed then coasted made battle very difficult if you were closing froma  long distance tended to over shoot your target doing 20000kph then it took forever to slow downa dthen speed up and head back adn the the same would ahppen - but i never took it to that extreme =) i will hav to see if i can break warp 3 lol its warp 10 thats supposed to be unachievable
ARGHHH

Offline Grey Wolf

The GAME engine can't handle Warp 3.

Offline KillMeNow

• The Empire Lives
BUGGER!!!!!!!!!!!
ARGHHH