Author Topic: How do YOU play Freespace?  (Read 17024 times)

Offline Reptile

How do YOU play Freespace?
I use the Strike Fighter Series Flight Controller/Strike Fighter Throttle combe... just about every command I need is at my fingertips... it's a bit old but hey, it functions  

------------------
"It's nearly impossible to defend against an assassin who's willing to die for his cause."
"Agreed. There's only one way to deal with terrorists... locate their base of operations... and destroy them."
"I love that answer, Captain Hunt." Tyr Anazasi to Dylan Hunt-Andromeda
"It's nearly impossible to defend against an assassin who's willing to die for his cause."
"Agreed. There's only one way to deal with terrorists... locate their base of operations... and destroy them."
"I love that answer, Captain Hunt." Tyr Anazasi to Dylan Hunt-Andromeda

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Y'all better go back to english, or I'll start with Hebrew! Consider yourselves warned!    

------------------
America, stand assured that Israel truly understands what you are going through.

"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
Quick! Someone find me a English-Russian dictionary!

Offline Ryx

• Twilight Falling
  • Away in RL land. Back later.
Sidewinder FF2 / Keyboard combo.
Intel C2D E6850|4Gb RAM|Abit IP35 PRO|ATI X1900 XT

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Originally posted by sandwich:
Y'all better go back to english, or I'll start with Hebrew! Consider yourselves warned!    

hein? qu'est ce que vous racontez, là, tous?  
SCREW CANON!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Originally posted by venom2506:
hein? qu'est ce que vous racontez, là, tous?  

You forget: I can translate that stuff with Babelfish. You can't translate this:

Ain li musag ma atah omer, aval ani choshev shehishtagata, zeh batuach!
Tistemu et a piot shelachem lifnay she ani ba eleichem ad habayit vemareh lechem ma zeh migdal Bavel!  

------------------
America, stand assured that Israel truly understands what you are going through.

Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
What did you just call me?

[This message has been edited by Thorn (edited 10-28-2001).]

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

You forget: I can translate that stuff with Babelfish.

hem yeah, I think it was dragon Claw or darkage who translated a french sentence with babelfish and show it to me. Damn I laughted for two minutes  
And you're right, I can't translate that :þ
SCREW CANON!

Originally posted by jonskowitz:
Worse than that is bragging about being at VBB, kinda like bragging about how cool you were in highschool...

Must be. I don't think I bragged about being at VBB, and I'd never brag about my highschool times...  
My point was - and as the following proved! - that I couldn't be recognized if I had changed the nick.

Originally posted by Gortef:
Moro Tero! Koitahan viihtyä HLP:llä  

We'll see!  

And, to stay on the topic...  
Rudder pedals would be very useful too, and even more useful when flying realistic airplanes. Did anybody here try the free Warbirds III weekend last weekend?
The nick is not a typo, it's a pun.

Offline The Avenger

• Banned
    • http://www.microsoft.uk
neural uplink  
I am Jesus

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Originally posted by venom2506:
And you're right, I can't translate that :þ

'Course not - it's transliterated. If I wrote in Hebrew characters, y'all would really be confused... at least this way you can try to pronounce it...  

------------------

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
What the... Can't believe it. No one uses a mouse? Well, I'll be the first. On other space combat/flight sim i use my cheap Wingman Attack, but haven't bothered adjusting the Deadzone/sensitivity settings.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Zander

That Seitek joystick is the one that looks like it was assimilated by the Borg, right? the one that can have it's buttons and stuff repositioned?

no the saitek x36 doesnt look borgish    umm heres a pic of it http://www.saitekusa.com/product/x36.htm
it has more buttons than what you can see and it has mode slectors (2 of them)

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue

Originally posted by Black Sheep:
MS SideWinder Force Feedback!

I wanna feel, when I'm hit!

Yah, I totally agree! MS SideWinder Force Feedback MARK ONE ONLY! I can't stand the Mark 2, it looks ugly to me.

Im an old-fashioned conservative, what can I say?  

------------------
FRED Zone's Grammar editor/ FS history moderator
Former member of TCA
Member in good standing of 99th Skulls
Honorary member of TCS and UGC

"I created your civilization...now I will destroy it!"
--Ra, the Sun God

[This message has been edited by Su-tehp (edited 10-30-2001).]
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Zander

umm doesnt the force feedback throw off your aim too?  maybe u should get a chair with straps and motors to really shake you when u get hit.  i used one on a different fighter sim and its really cool  (about $3000 for a crappy one though)

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue

Originally posted by Zander:
umm doesnt the force feedback throw off your aim too?  maybe u should get a chair with straps and motors to really shake you when u get hit.  i used one on a different fighter sim and its really cool  (about $3000 for a crappy one though)

Um...Zander, if I'm getting hit from behind by laser fire or missiles, the LAST thing I'm going to be worried about is my aim!

Originally stated by Commander Snipes:
"Evade, evade, evade! Get outta there! Get outta there!"

Besides if I had $3,000, it'd go towards paying off my law school loans.  

------------------
FRED Zone's Grammar editor/ FS history moderator
Former member of TCA
Member in good standing of 99th Skulls
Honorary member of TCS and UGC

"I created your civilization...now I will destroy it!"
--Ra, the Sun God
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Akrovah

Originally posted by Raa Tor'h:
Ok, original question:

I can't play Freespace... something about my PC not able to detect 3d Acceleration after numerous attempts to fix it...

But starcraft still woks

Starcraft is not 3d, which is why you can still play it just fine even though freespace cannot detect 3d accel.

What kind of card do you have? If you hae one of the more recent VooDoo cards, then you may need to go into the 3Dfx toolbox and disaple the glide splash screen.

------------------
Bobby (Akrovah) Hovorka
    [email protected]  
    "The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shap of that future, or where it will take us. We only know, that it is always born in pain." -- G'Quon - Babylon 5
Bobby (Akrovah) Hovorka
    [email protected]  
    "The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shap of that future, or where it will take us. We only know, that it is always born in pain." -- G'Quon - Babylon 5

Offline Akrovah

Zander & Akrovah:

WELCOME TO HLP!!!            

That Seitek joystick is the one that looks like it was assimilated by the Borg, right? the one that can have it's buttons and stuff repositioned?

Well thank you sandwich.

Is the Seitek one called a cyborg? 'caus if thats the one, then yes, the buttons can be repositioned, and I have Two buddies who recomend it highly.
edit: Nope, just saw the pic.

------------------
Bobby (Akrovah) Hovorka
    [email protected]  

[This message has been edited by Akrovah (edited 11-01-2001).]
Bobby (Akrovah) Hovorka
    [email protected]  

Offline Zander

Originally posted by Su-tehp:
Um...Zander, if I'm getting hit from behind by laser fire or missiles, the LAST thing I'm going to be worried about is my aim!

hmm well lets see roll and use CMs. usually works for a bit    atleast long enough to destroy current enemy

Poksis

Originally posted by Dark_4ce:
Though I'm quite opposed to Microsoft, I cant think of anything better than playing FS2 with my sidewinder Forcefeedback 2 and my GameVoice headset. Its SO much cooler when you can actually SPEAK you're comunications, as in actual voice commands! "Alpha wing form up, Beta wing engage enemy, Delta wing disarm my target!" Woohoo!

It also lets me focus more on the actual flying as well as alow me to use the wingmen more efficiently. Whoah... I'm almost selling Microsoft here....