Author Topic: Final 3d shockwave release for all systems!  (Read 28790 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
Final 3d shockwave release for all systems!
i did as you said, and it works. damn, it still looks beautiful! *sniff*

To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Originally posted by DaBrain

Maybe loading this effect into the gfx ram before the misson starts would fix it.

Is there an easy way to do this, or will I have to wait for some code modification or some such thing? I don't know how to do much other than copy and paste files from your zips. :p
I am a revolutionary.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
I've no idea how the loading works atm, but it's a code issue. I can't change anything about the loading.

Maybe it's working as I suggested, already. ;)

@Cobra
 That's good news on the one hand, but it toally confuses me on the other hand. I thought about a DDS problem of some kind, but if a single DDS frame works, this can't be the problem...

Is the flare still there?
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Maybe loading this effect into the gfx ram before the misson starts would fix it.

I should be already.  The models are preloaded, bitmaps marked as used in the mission, and bmpman loads them into video ram.  The only way that it won't is if there isn't enough ram to stick everything into.  If that's the case then it could either be left out initially or the ram flushed when it gets full and new images start going in.

You have to remember that more than textures go into video memory.  You've got to count API stuff and geometry data for all models too.  In a typical mission you may only be able to get about 100 meg of textures on a 128 meg card.  Using -spec, -glow and -jpgtga, most missions are already above that.  Add to that the memory wasteful options of -pcx32 (used mostly for interface graphics at this point) and -d3dmipmaps (they are generated but not used) and that's more memory down the drain.  Also, turning on AA will use about twice the memory that it would otherwise.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
@Cobra
 That's good news on the one hand, but it toally confuses me on the other hand. I thought about a DDS problem of some kind, but if a single DDS frame works, this can't be the problem...

Is the flare still there?

nope.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Ulala

Originally posted by taylor

I should be already.  The models are preloaded, bitmaps marked as used in the mission, and bmpman loads them into video ram.  The only way that it won't is if there isn't enough ram to stick everything into.  If that's the case then it could either be left out initially or the ram flushed when it gets full and new images start going in.

You have to remember that more than textures go into video memory.  You've got to count API stuff and geometry data for all models too.  In a typical mission you may only be able to get about 100 meg of textures on a 128 meg card.  Using -spec, -glow and -jpgtga, most missions are already above that.  Add to that the memory wasteful options of -pcx32 (used mostly for interface graphics at this point) and -d3dmipmaps (they are generated but not used) and that's more memory down the drain.  Also, turning on AA will use about twice the memory that it would otherwise.

Well in that case, maybe my graphics card has finally met it's match. ;)  The effect is still great, the slowdown is uncommon and is not that bad (no worse than when I played FS2 on one of my older systems when it first came out).
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Originally posted by Cobra
hey, DaB, i'm getting an expanding flare instead of an expanding shockwave.
pic:

Am I the only one who thinks this could be used for the new 'souped-up' effect?

Shockwaves are big and nasty - however IMHO they need more 'UMMPH!!!'.
Starting them out with a flare like that could do the trick.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Actually, they already start with this flare... :rolleyes:
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
it flares, then the flare goes inward, then the actual shockwave comes blasting out. :D

Offline Ulala

'tis p1mp
I am a revolutionary.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
**** I need to get my FS2 working.

Shockwaves are paged in at the beginning of the mission. I did not go to the trouble to make sure that they were kept in memory between missions, so what should happen (barring forgetfullness on my part) is that the shockwaves needed are paged in at the start of a level, then paged out, then the process repeats.

There should be no loading shockwaves in the level. Except from virtual memory.
-C

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
So when do you think you'll have all of the Blue versions DaB?

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Later...

Maybe tomorrow. :)
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
hey, dab, have you found a fix for the expanding flare problem yet? :)

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Yeah, I could use your stuff into my Star Wars mods :crazy:

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Originally posted by Cobra
hey, dab, have you found a fix for the expanding flare problem yet? :)

No, but it's probably a code bug.

You should report it to Mantis. Maybe it will get fixed till 3.6.7.
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
roger!

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html

No, but it's probably a code bug.

You should report it to Mantis. Maybe it will get fixed till 3.6.7.

You know, I was wondering (not having the time to look at this myself yet) if this "expanding flare bug" would have anything to do with the improper warp glow scaling in the initial/final moments of a subspace protal's existance.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Later...

Maybe tomorrow. :)

*ahem*

The Public demands it.

:nervous:

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Done. ;7

Blue 3d shockwave release!

Super-High-End blue download (22 MB)

High-End blue download (8 MB)

Mid-Range blue download (2 MB)

Low-End blue download (250 KB)
(hosted by Game-Warden)