Author Topic: The PXO story?  (Read 7252 times)

!?  I've never played D3 in my life............

i'm still pissed off sometimes that they took it offline just because it wasn't being used enough... that's what it boils down to. granted FS2 and FS1 were a joke, but the D3 PXO still had a lot of activity

When i said that, i was referring to PXO (note how i said "because it wasn't being used enough)!!!  FS1 and FS2 i called a joke, because at any given time, you'd be lucky to catch 5 people on them at the same time.  you'd be lucky to ever catch ONE person on FS1.  I know a lot of people that played D3 till the day PXO went down... the D3 community was still (relatively) strong, and was still making good use of PXO

I'm a FS1 player myself.  only migrated to FS2 when FS1's PXO died down and everyone stopped playing it :-/

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
You came in too late sweety. When I played FS, there were hundreds of people online. But then again I'd know.

wow i'm glad.  that's great.  i remember there being a couple dozen online, but never hundreds.  i got FS1 within 2 weeks of it coming out... i played the FS1 single-player campaign many times, then got into making my own missions.  i never touched multiplayer, cause i had slow ass dial-up.  when i got cable around 2000, i started playing, but it was dying then already

When I played FS, there were hundreds of people online. But then again I'd know

so you must've stopped playing FS what... a year and a half after it came out?

yeah you're true.  no doubt about that :wtf:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 02:42:52 pm by 168 »

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Sweetheart.

Sunday, January 27, 2002

The Last of the FS Frenzies
- Posted by: Orange @ 02:30 PM CST - Post Comment

Here at Volition Watch we're calling for probably the last FS Frenzy ever. Since we've organized all the events in the past between Descent Chronicles and Planet Freespace (which eventually became this site), we feel it was necessary for us to do it again. Therefore, Chump (er.. I mean.. Alphakiller) has done up a page with information reguarding the next and probably last Freespace Frenzy. We hope to go out with a bang on this one. This Frenzy will go over a two day period and will cover both Freespace games (each one gets its own day). This will be a big day and we expect many to show up, including Volition Watch and Volition employees. Yays. Give the Freespace Frenzy Information Page a looksie and mark your calendars.

That was before the event started. In the night, there were 100+ people there. Normally, there were about 50+ people playing, and then at the very end before it shut down, there were 20-10 regular people playing.

You say that when you've been there, you've never seen anyone. That's because you're [size=999]NEW[/size]

Get it?

But see, here it isn't an issue of werther you're new or not anymore. You're new. We get it. But that's not the problem.

The problem is you just simply seem to be retarded, because you've actually been attempting to support your ambitions to sue PXO/V using imaginary logic.

Please stop, for the sake of me at the very least. I can feel my brain starting to bleed.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 02:43:09 pm by 461 »

Why are we even arguing?  I just think that even when PXO broke, they should've fixed it.  i would've footed the bill... so would've most people in the FS community at the time, just to keep it around.  

i don't want to argue with you, because i know you, i remember your name... from FS1/2 and SSC, and i remember you being a respected member of the community. sorry for being argumentative.  i just got pissed cause i really enjoyed PXO, and was sad when it died :(

However, in 2002... there was hardly even one person ever on FS1 PXO, and lucky to be a dozen at a time on FS2.
EDIT: a dozen.  6 or 7 is too low
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 02:47:03 pm by 168 »

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
In 2002 there wasn't anyone in FS1, aside from a guy called... ehh. I forgot. He still ran the points mission until he surpassed Xinny and Zero.

We used to organise FS1 games though in the SSC. But yeah, there wasn't anyone in FS1.

In FS2 however, there were always a few people you could count on to be there.

In its FINAL days though, I remember there still being 20-30 regulars there. Maybe not at all times, but certainly during peak.

Yes, it sucked it wasn't popular. But the fact it went down doesn't much have that much to do with it. D3 was being played (not sure how much, but certainly more than FS2 in its final days), and if they cared about keeping it up for "people who play", it would be done for them.

But it was broken.

However, they gave it to us. We should THANK PXO/Volition for giving it to us, instead of suing them. That way, there is hope that it will be once more.

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
If you're trying to argue that FS1 and FS2 PXO weren't dead when PXO went down, you're wrong.  

2002 the most i ever saw anyone on was the 'Titan tournament', where i saw about 15 people on concurrently.  lasted a couple of hours.  in late 2001 ---> 2002, the only people on all evening were myself, Hurricane, jafah, and occasionally sole-taker, shockwave, and a few other misc. noobs who "just bought the game from a discount store" :D

In 2002 there wasn't anyone in FS1, aside from a guy called... ehh. I forgot. He still ran the points mission until he surpassed Xinny and Zero.
Hurricane.  he played "Unstoppable" (the "points" mission) a couple thousand times :p.  i was there the day he hit Rear admiral, the day he hit vice-admiral, and the day he hit admiral.  i remember him when he was barely a commodore :)  we'd play every night.  from late 2001 ---> 2002, the only people online on a given night were myself, Hurricane, and a few others, such as sole-taker, shockwave, jafah, aReefer, etc.

We used to organise FS1 games though in the SSC. But yeah, there wasn't anyone in FS1.

In FS2 however, there were always a few people you could count on to be there.

In its FINAL days though, I remember there still being 20-30 regulars there. Maybe not at all times, but certainly during peak.

Yes, it sucked it wasn't popular. But the fact it went down doesn't much have that much to do with it. D3 was being played (not sure how much, but certainly more than FS2 in its final days), and if they cared about keeping it up for "people who play", it would be done for them.
yeah but see that's the thing... PXO broke, but i guarantee you, if there were 100+ on FS1 at a given time, 100+ on FS2, and 200+ on D3, they would've fixed it.  it's like if Azeroth went down (Battle.net US EAST server), they'd put it back up, because although they PROVIDE the service, they dont' GUARANTEE it...

But it was broken.

However, they gave it to us. We should THANK PXO/Volition for giving it to us, instead of suing them. That way, there is hope that it will be once more.
i agree with the people that have expressed disappointment in PXO being down.  i'm STILL disappointed.  i can't remember how many times i've emailed and called Volition asking for permission to host the server myself, or pay any expenses to get the server online.  they could've said "yeah. write us a check, and we'll get it up", but they didn't, because they didn't see a need to have it (i'm assuming.  can't even remember who i talked to)

« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 03:01:14 pm by 594 »

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
If you're trying to argue that FS1 and FS2 PXO weren't dead when PXO went down, you're wrong.

2002 the most i ever saw anyone on was the 'Titan tournament', where i saw about 15 people on concurrently. lasted a couple of hours. in late 2001 ---> 2002, the only people on all evening were myself, Hurricane, jafah, and occasionally sole-taker, shockwave, and a few other misc. noobs who "just bought the game from a discount store"

IIRC Hurricane was FS1 only, FS2 extremely rarely if at all.

Oh it was dead. Just not dead-dead. When I went in to play a mission or two, I could _always_ count on people being there.

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Hurricane was FS1.  we both played FS2 occasionally, but stuck to FS1 just out of loyalty :p

Also, in its final days, if you went into FS1, you wouldn't see anyone there.  at all.  i remember spending whole days with one of my computers idling in the lobby, and one person would go in and out.  in an entire day.

FS2 on the other hand, you COULD count on someone being in there.  within half a year though, the number dropped from 10 games played and 30 people in lobby, to 2 games played, and 5 people in the lobby... it dropped dramatically.  by the very end, there were 4 or 5 people idling, and maybe one game going

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
I'm not that into the D3 community, but I doubt they were dead. So all in all, I guess you looked at about a 100 people.

Tell you the truth, being one of the people who had contact with Volition in the final days of their service, it seriously did not look like they would be able to do anything even if 1000 people were playing. I think it was abundantly clear that it was an expense, and a time hog well beyond any sensible financial decision, and most of us knew that it was going to happen "one of these days". Though I could be wrong. Maybe they had an endless pit of money from which they could fund the service they were getting no money back from. With the termination of the buisness agreement from Interplay, any future copies sold looked like the profit would belong to Interplay itself.

The main point is that if you think PXO/V should get sued over the termination of the PXO service, you really need your head checked. No matter how bitter you are they pulled the plug for whatever reason, seriously.

Seriously.

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Originally posted by BlackDove
I'm not that into the D3 community, but I doubt they were dead. So all in all, I guess you looked at about a 100 people.
naaa D3 wasn't dead.  it wasn't like it used to be, but it was far from dead.  there were well over 100 at a given time.  i was just pulling those numbers for an example, to show that of the 5 games they "supported", only one was being used :-/

Tell you the truth, being one of the people who had contact with Volition in the final days of their service, it seriously did not look like they would be able to do anything even if 1000 people were playing. I think it was abundantly clear that it was an expense, and a time hog well beyond any sensible financial decision, and most of us knew that it was going to happen "one of these days". Though I could be wrong. Maybe they had an endless pit of money from which they could fund the service they were getting no money back from. With the termination of the buisness agreement from Interplay, any future copies sold looked like the profit would belong to Interplay itself.
right, but all PXO really was was a bandwidth hog... and it only hogged bandwidth when there were people playing on it.  i mean obviously it was their decision to make ultimately, but some people would've paid for it.  they had the software, they just needed a server to put it on apparently

The main point is that if you think PXO/V should get sued over the termination of the PXO service, you really need your head checked. No matter how bitter you are they pulled the plug for whatever reason, seriously.
he wasn't being serious.  you think he was going to literally sue PXO?  he was just displaying how disappointed he was.  don't take everything people say literally ;)

Seriously.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Actually I know how the transfer of PXO went from Volition to the community, and it wasn't really all about a second server or payment being important.

And I know nobody was going to sue PXO, for one, because people making those statements are always unable to do so, but also because I know that the idea is completely insane considering the terms of use in the EULA.

I am offended by the sentiment not being refuted. Not that I'm some V fanboy, far from it, but bringing such ideas to public is just something I am unable to stand by and ignore.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I can personally testify that the D3 side of PXO was relatively active right up until the end.  There were around the same number of servers (about 50) as there are right now, and while there may have been a few more people playing back then, there were almost always 20-30 at the least.  The one benefit that the D3 community has had that FS1/2 haven't is that D3's servers can be easily listed and joined from any number of server browsers (Gamespy, Kali, All-Seeing Eye, etc.)  The death of PXO didn't hurt our multiplayer nearly as much as it's hurt the FS community's, even if we may have lost out on a few people who picked up the game and assumed that all multiplayer was dead.  The one thing that some people in the D3 community didn't traditionally like about PXO was its login requirement, meaning that people from outside server browsers could see servers but couldn't automatically join them.  From what I understand from Inquisitor, if/when PXO gets back up, that requirement would be removed, meaning that we could get the best of both worlds.

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace
Jesus, just shut up already.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Wow, that's out of place.  Who are you anyway?
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Originally posted by BlackDove
Actually I know how the transfer of PXO went from Volition to the community, and it wasn't really all about a second server or payment being important.

yeah but remember that the 'transfer' took place quite some time after PXO initially went down... at that time i agree, it wasn't a matter of getting the original PXO running again (whether by paying for the hardware, paying in general, etc.) as it was in the very beginning :)

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
It took a good amount of time, but for a good reason too. After all, PXO wasn't released to the public like the Source Code was.