Author Topic: The PXO story?  (Read 7254 times)

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I mean what actually happened to PXO?  I mean did they go bankrupt or something?

I wouldn't be surprised though I guess:doubt:
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
word has it that the PXO "server' was damaged during a Volition move, and they just decided to take it offline permanently

kind of cheap if you ask me, because any one of us would've been willing to pay to run PXO (i've emailed them multiple times the last few years), plus part of the FS1/2/D3 'agreement' was at least implied that PXO would be around :(*

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
although the source code project / FSOPEN is taking the place of "PXO" anyway.  i still feel bad though, cause i remember playing FS1 for YEARS... originally with all the 'aces'... Xinny and Zer0, anyone remember them?  then it kind of slowed down, more and more, and in the end i'd just sit in the lobby, and every 20 minutes or so, someone would join (someone who managed to go through the long and tedious upgrade process), and be like "Hey, i just bought Freespace", and i'd be like "hey man, welcome!.  you up for a game?".  i was like the relations manager LOL.  i'd 'train' so many people.  it got to the point where i just wanted someone to play with!  And it got so lonely.  I played with Superior_Dragonius, sole-taker (a real-life doctor.  he was good), jafah, and GOD there were so many others I played with regularly.  It's a shame almost, because i've lost contact with all of them (literally)... and i was so close to some of them... we'd meet up the same time every night, play for a few hours, boy those were the DAYS.  makes me sad looking back.

Offline ZmaN

Originally posted by Stealth
word has it that the PXO "server' was damaged during a Volition move, and they just decided to take it offline permanently

kind of cheap if you ask me, because any one of us would've been willing to pay to run PXO (i've emailed them multiple times the last few years), plus part of the FS1/2/D3 'agreement' was at least implied that PXO would be around :(*

Can't we like do something legally against that???  I mean they broke the license aggreement by taking PXO away, couldnt we like, sue?
Well what do I do now?  Well Jack, you seem to have an act for blowing things up....

www.underoath777.com  <---  The BEST BAND EVER!

My Rig:
NZXT Apollo Case, with the insides painted black, and refinished side panels
Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750 watt PSU
Intel Xeon E3110 (e8400) OC'd to 3.6ghz
Xigmatek S1283 HDT Cooler
Biostar TPower I45 Motherboard
2 x 2GB's Crucial Ballistx DDR2-800 RAM
XFX Geforce 8800GTX GPU
Onboard sound
3 x 36GB Raptors in RAID 0
1 x Western Digital 640GB stand-alone

Matthew 1:1-2  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was with God in the beginning.

count your blessings...

we havent been sued yet...even though some of the things we do are questionable at best.....

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Originally posted by ZmaN

Can't we like do something legally against that???  I mean they broke the license aggreement by taking PXO away, couldnt we like, sue?

This is why newbies shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion.

MP, did crazy get his CVS yet?

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
As I understand it...there was a move afoot to setup our own PXO version through the Source Code anyways.  Give it time to mature.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
As it is now, it's an attempt to get 1.2 to work without anything needed to be done client wise - ie, retail, only hosted from a different location.

I have high doubts in that happening, but if they pull it off, rejoicing is in order.

Either way

Originally posted by IceFire
Give it time to mature.

is a good advice to follow.

Originally posted by BlackDove

This is why newbies shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion.

How about this:

I've been around longer than you, and I think he's got a point.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
You want to sue parallax?!??!!?
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
The trick is to sue Interplay for the rights to Freespace, so then they can't counter-sue for use of copyrighted work without permission. :p

Call it a preemptive first-strike :nervous:
-C

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
lol WMC

we have the sourcecode for PXO around somewhere - it's written in MFC though so we need one of our resident wxwidgets gurus (wmc.. myself) to port it from MFC to wxWidgets
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Originally posted by Mystical

How about this:

I've been around longer than you, and I think he's got a point.

How about this:

Go finish elementary school, then form an opinion.

Or better yet, just simply read the EULA.

There is no positive for you here. He can blame his opinion on being a newbie. If you support that opinion, you're just simply uninformed and stupid to boot.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 02:11:12 pm by 461 »

Originally posted by BlackDove

How about this:

Go finish elementary school, then form an opinion.

Or better yet, just simply read the EULA.

i didn't say to sue.  i said he's got a point.  in that everyone that buys a game can't play it online.  i'd be pretty pissed off if i bought Starcraft (just as old), and couldn't play it online out of the box.  

granted SC still has thousands of players online at any given moment, but you see the principle.  i'm still pissed off sometimes that they took it offline just because it wasn't being used enough... that's what it boils down to.  granted FS2 and FS1 were a joke, but the D3 PXO still had a lot of activity :(

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
So it is being uninformed.

They didn't take it off because it wasn't used, they took it off because it was broken, and fixing something that you're not getting paid for doesn't take priority over something that puts food on the table. That's one of the basic principles of life.

Also.

Originally posted by Mystical
granted FS2 and FS1 were a joke, but the D3 PXO still had a lot of activity :(

?

What?

Why don't we just go with "uninformed" - that's best.

nice edit.

he can blame his opinion on being n00b.  you can blame your attitude on being a prick.  and i can blame my opinion on playing FS and being around the FS community for the last 5+ years.  thanks.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
And I can blame it on being with the FS community for the past +7 years.

Bye n00b.

actually.  i think you're uninformed...

when it broke, they could have fixed it.  the reason they didn't was because there wasn't enough activity to justify it.  so basically you're stating exactly what i said...

and why am i "uninformed"?  again... i've been around Fs1, fs2, and d3 since the weekend FS1 came out... how am i "uninformed'?

obviously not with this community (teh largest FS community on the net)... *looks at join dates*

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Actually, I'm not stating anything that you said. I'm stating it broke. You state that they took it down because it wasn't used.

Two entierly different things.

Go back to D3. It's where you belong.

Also, n00bar, FS community stems from the VBB and VW. This was always the 3rd place to be at.

But you wouldn't know that because you have no idea what you're talking about after all.

Bye bye.