Author Topic: Hi-poly Hecate (taking initiative)  (Read 16858 times)

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Re: Hi-poly Hecate (taking initiative)
Excellent  :yes:

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
EDIT: Slight glitch: There's a little piece of glowing debris visible in the lower left main engine.

I noticed. :( Pain in the neck, that poly will have to have its texture reassigned if I ever reconvert.
Good news is that most of the time it's not noticeable under the engine glows, but it's kinda irritating in the tech room.

I'd like to clarify something for any FREDders out there: if the ship is disabled and gets repaired, you'll probably only want to repair engines 1 and 2, as the exhausts for 3 and 4 get destroyed and their glows just float in space.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

I've noticed much more severe geometry 'popup' in nebula missions with the new Hecate.  At a given distance, rotating your view has parts of the ship suddenly appearing and disappearing as they near the edge of the view area, rather than emerging from the mist.  The geometry isn't being obscured by mist, it appears to totally disappear - but I haven't noticed it on non-nebula missions.  The bow shields, aft towers and ventral engines are the most common areas that have this problem.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
That's odd, I haven't seen any nasty nebula popups recently. Try using the 'Poofs don't intersect hull' flag in the launcher.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

I'm already using it!  :)

I don't know jack about how the nebulas or models work, but I haven't seen this with any other models for some time.  In vanilla FS2 it was pretty bad, as whole ships would go from 'invisible in the mist' to 'not misted at all', but on the 'Mystery of the Trinity' mission, whole geometry sections leap out of the mist as you move around the ship.  Again, I don't know anything about how this works, and it's hardly major, but it's jarring none the less.