Author Topic: FS3?  (Read 31326 times)

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
The thing is, you're not facing some kid who was sent to kindergarden by their parents, who's got a girlfriend back home, who's got a little child.  You are facing a five-legged bug with incomprehensible thought processes which in all evidence is out to completely and totally annihilate your species, no quarter.  You cannot find common ground with the Shivans, at least not as far as the FS2 story has progressed.  There is only kill or be killed, nothing else.

------------------
-Knife missiles have a way of cutting to the heart of an argument.

Shall we import Lard or Steel?
Would you rather have Butter or Guns?
Guns makes us strong, Butter merely makes us fat.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Unidan

• http://unidan.stickserv.net/

Originally posted by Shrike:
There is only kill or be killed, nothing else.

They are what they are, nothing more. There is nothing to explain because there is nothing to be explained.

------------------
My E-Mail=         [email protected]        

If Indiana Jones and Han Solo were in a fight... who would win?

If you figure out what this number means you win a prize :D
26724 2337

I am the Parser Breaker!!!
I'll think of a siggie later..

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
But what if that isn`t what the shivans are up to?

In Enders Game the buggers killed large numbers of humans because they were a hive mind and didn`t understand that they were killing individuals. They saw kidnapping and disecting a few live humans the same way a human scientist would see taking a cell culture.

In B5 the shadows appear to be trying to wipe out all other life forms until halfway through you find out that their goal is to promote evolution through survival of the fittest.

Alien creatures can have completely alien motives for what they are doing. Even if they do have human motives though that doesn`t mean that they are genocidal as a species trait. What if the shivans currently have a Hitler style leader? The average shivan might not particularly want to wipe out humans.
 What if the capellan supernova was something like turning Jupiter into a star in 2010?
 Since we know next to nothing about the shivans so it's hard to say why they do what they do.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Originally posted by karajorma:
What if the capellan supernova was something like turning Jupiter into a star in 2010?

Huh?  

------------------
America, stand assured that Israel truly understands what you are going through.

"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
In the movie 2010 (Sequal to 2001) Jupiter gets turned into a star because a higher power believes that humanity needed it to happen for their further development (I think that was the reason. It's been a long time since I saw that movie)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

In the movie 2010 (Sequal to 2001) Jupiter gets turned into a star because a higher power believes that humanity needed it to happen for their further development (I think that was the reason. It's been a long time since I saw that movie)

It was as a result of an impending war between the US and USSR, and they granted humans the moons around Europa  - except the Ice one (Europa?).

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
The alien superbeing that created the monolith (Dave Bowman "met" it when he was taken "inside" the monolith at the end of 2001) turned Jupiter into a star in order to feed the chlorophyl that had been seeded on Europa. Apparently, this superbeing put chrolophyl on Europa because it saw that Europa had the potential to create intelligent/sentient life eons from now. Turning Jupiter into a star would speed up the process.

"Detonating" Jupiter was for this express purpose: creating new intelligent life on Europa. Using it as a demonstration of power to the USA and the USSR was merely incidental, but still accomplished a secondary goal: keeping humanity (another sentient race that the superbeing also "uplifted" alive. (Remember how the first monolith uplifted those apes at the start of 2001 and also uplifted those astronauts who discovered the monolith on the moon midway through 2001? The Discovery (Dave Bowman's spaceship)was built by those same astronauts 18 months later...)

------------------
FRED Zone's Grammar editor/ FS history moderator
Former member of TCA
Member in good standing of 99th Skulls
Honorary member of TCS and UGC

"I created your civilization...now I will destroy it!"
--Ra, the Sun God
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Kinda proves my point though. Alien races can do destructive things for reasons that are much more benign than at first seen.
 It's wrong to assume that the shivans are just xenophobes out to destroy us just on the basis of their actions. It may be true but then again it may not. Bosch noticed that there was a way to communicate with them and even believed that it was possible to make an allience with them. Maybe he was wrong but then again maybe he was right.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

wrong to assume that the shivans are just xenophobes out to destroy us just on the basis of their actions.

Isn't the fact that they toasted Vasuda Prime and were about to do the same with earth, ignoring any other objective, isn't enough for you?
They're at least vasudaphobes and terraphobes  
SCREW CANON!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Nope. It isn`t enough. The US nuked japan during the second world war but they weren`t japanaphobes were they?
  After the war we made peace with Japan and they ended up being one of the wests biggest allies.
 If the shivans are xenophobes there would never be any hope of anything apart from war with them. If however they mearly have different goals and motives there is that possibility.
 Considering that the campaign we are discussing her involves shivan defectors we`ve got proof that not all shivans are xenophobes

Offline Nico

• Venom

Nope. It isn`t enough. The US nuked japan during the second world war but they weren`t japanaphobes were they?
  After the war we made peace with Japan and they ended up being one of the wests biggest allies.
 If the shivans are xenophobes there would never be any hope of anything apart from war with them. If however they mearly have different goals and motives there is that possibility.
 Considering that the campaign we are discussing her involves shivan defectors we`ve got proof that not all shivans are xenophobes

excuse me, but did the japanes were standing there, and then the US came to nuke them, just like did the shivans? No, the japanese attacked first, and before they used theit bombs, there was some years of war I believe...
shivan defectors doesn't prove that not all shivans are xenophobes. just that they don't share the same goals.
Don't understand me wrong, I don't think shivans are xenophobes, that they kill everything they meet (you'll now what I think in my campaign). No. But the fact is that the statements said above don't prove anything, and are not flawless  
SCREW CANON!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Who says the shivans started it? We know that GTI had already met the shivans before they are introduced in FS1.
 Even if they did start it the shivans might not have been involved in a xenophobic attack. In both the attack on ross 128 and the first campign mission the shivans appear in the Humans are fighting vasudan forces. The shivans could believe themselves some kind of interstellar police force, exterminating any trouble makers (remember that the ancients were also subduing other races around them and then tried it on against the shivans before they got their butts kicked)
 My point about america VS japan was that to an outside observer who didn`t know why the war started it might look like xenophobia especially once nukes started being dropped. but WWII wasn`t about that and the shivan wars might not either.

Offline Nico

• Venom

Who says the shivans started it? We know that GTI had already met the shivans before they are introduced in FS1.
 Even if they did start it the shivans might not have been involved in a xenophobic attack. In both the attack on ross 128 and the first campign mission the shivans appear in the Humans are fighting vasudan forces. The shivans could believe themselves some kind of interstellar police force, exterminating any trouble makers (remember that the ancients were also subduing other races around them and then tried it on against the shivans before they got their butts kicked)
 My point about america VS japan was that to an outside observer who didn`t know why the war started it might look like xenophobia especially once nukes started being dropped. but WWII wasn`t about that and the shivan wars might not either.

mmh, only flaw there: the police defends those who are attacked, the shivan attacked the terrans, but they also annihilated the vasudans...
I see only one reason why they would do that then, but I'll keep it for myself  
SCREW CANON!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The vasudans were fighting the terrans. So the shivans kill them both.
 If you notice it isn`t just the ancients who have vanished. All the races they subdued are also missing.

Offline Nico

• Venom

The vasudans were fighting the terrans. So the shivans kill them both.
 If you notice it isn`t just the ancients who have vanished. All the races they subdued are also missing.

of course, the ancient didn't subdue them, they killed them ( it's said in the FS1 cutscenes). Anyway, I doubt the ancient empire was limited to the known GTVA space, so who knows what we could find after the boundaries of this known space?  
SCREW CANON!

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

In the movie 2010 (Sequal to 2001)

There's a sequel to 2001? Man, I gotta stay awake...  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'm working along the lines that the shivans aren't mindless destroyers in my campaign. I`m not going to do an "Explaination for everything" type of campaign but I`ve got ideas that hint at an explaination for capella's destruction and what the shivans were upto during the Great War.

Offline Nico

• Venom

I'm working along the lines that the shivans aren't mindless destroyers in my campaign. I`m not going to do an "Explaination for everything" type of campaign but I`ve got ideas that hint at an explaination for capella's destruction and what the shivans were upto during the Great War.

me too   and don't worry, shivans won't be mindless blood-thirsty creatures (tho they have about nothing in common with terrans or vasudans in any way).
SCREW CANON!

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue

Originally posted by Setekh:
There's a sequel to 2001? Man, I gotta stay awake...    

REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The funny thing is that in FS2 the shivans are pretty mindless. I did think that maybe they were a species of much lower intelligence than humans who had somehow managed to get a leg up on the technological front. Then I played FS1. In that the shivans showed good knowledge of tactics that they didn`t show in the sequal. I guess their best general was on board the lucifer.