Author Topic: "This is Lt. Ash, Terran Patrol, Wing Gamma, 3-9...  (Read 72292 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
"This is Lt. Ash, Terran Patrol, Wing Gamma, 3-9...
...requesting immediate reinforcements!"

As you can see the mapping is still kitbashed, and should be adjusted by someone far more talented than me.

Reference pics here: http://www.descent-freespace.com/goodies/gallery/cockpit/
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 09:52:42 pm by 510 »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Ooh, so this is the big secret ;7

Looks sharp.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Looks sooooooo much better than the original apollo. I like Ash's. I hate the one we got.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:jaw:

Niiiice... :yes:

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Wow. That is AMAZING!! :)
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline CaptJosh

Da-ha-ha-ha-am! I LIKE it. It may be kitbashed, but it looks good to me.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
Looks great. Some of the mapping is weird, but I can safely say I'm in love with the cockpit job. :D:yes:
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

my favorite ship...

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
Can I get a wireframe/non-textured pics of this new, better Apollo?
lol wtf

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Very sharp looking mapping job. :) Unless I'm really missing something, I don't see any major changes to the model besides the cockpit; please correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Really. It's jsut the original model with a cocpit and maps from the cutscenes AFAICT. :wtf:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
There's a lot of extra detail there.  I think Galemp would be offended if you did a comparison and still thought they looked exactly the same.  I can point to just about any part of that ship and see what he's done.  The detail in the engines alone should tip you off to this being a complete job.

GE, apparently people don't believe the model's been touched if you don't provide an unmapped render.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
One small detail... if it's going to be the "regular" Apollo then loose the damage detail... they don't make these things half crippled ;)

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
:eek:

GE wins
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Admiral Nelson

Interesting that it swaps the position of the guns and missle launchers.  I imagine in playtesting they discovered that it was impossible to hit anything with guns mounted so far away from the centerline.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Which is probably why :v: switched them in the map and on the model in the first place.  There's more than one ship like that in both FS1 and FS2.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Originally posted by StratComm
There's a lot of extra detail there.  I think Galemp would be offended if you did a comparison and still thought they looked exactly the same.  I can point to just about any part of that ship and see what he's done.  The detail in the engines alone should tip you off to this being a complete job.

GE, apparently people don't believe the model's been touched if you don't provide an unmapped render.

If anything, what threw me off is that the nose still looks like it's on the low-poly side.  I thought that the engines looked improved, but it's been a while since I've seen the original Apollo.  Sorry if I came across as ignorant.  I think an unmapped shot would really give a better sense of what improvements have been made.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Wireframe, original maps and cutscene maps.

Click for animations.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 02:13:32 pm by 510 »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Admiral Nelson

I think that what would really make the model would be to add in the FLIR like thing mounted under the nose.  The lower structure there does seem plain in comparison to the rest of the model.

It does stick out quite a ways under the nose.

Mind you that's not to say that the model isn't 1000 times better than before, which it is... :)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
All right, those animations make it blatantly obvious enough for me. :p I didn't realize that what I called "low-poliness" was actually present on the cutscene model as well; I guess that's just the way that :v: intended the nose to look.  Very nice job. :) Though I'd have to say that, if we could get the above model in-game, I might have to lend my support to that one. :p