Author Topic: Enter the Dragon  (Read 12647 times)

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter

redone textures

anyone feel like making it prettier with a model?

Story: when i first opened up and looked at the texture, i thought it looked like it was just terran, grayscaled and with some red glowy bits.  sooooo, i took some cues from shivan capships and applied them to the dragon texture, making it all nice and spikey and scary, while trying to retain some of the mechanicalness.

basically i re-drew a bunch of plate lines and reworked the shines to make it look like it does now

as for distribution, i'd love to package it with a model, but i could host it if you want
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 08:54:03 am by Turambar »
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Nice. :yes:
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
You did start with the FS1 hi-res maps, right?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Turambar

I started with the ones in mv_textures, but mine is different enough anyways that it wouldnt have made any difference if i had started with the fs1 hires one
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
I'm considereing doing the dragon once i finish off the ursa...
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Ooh, pretty.  I'm seriously still in the market to make that high-poly if no one else is stepping up to the plate for it.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I thought the FS1 high-res models were in mv_textures?

Although I suppose LS could've made a replacement and I unwittingly overwrit them.
-C

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
They are, only resized into powers-of-2.  It's based off the FS1 map so that's not a major concern.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
uh, the only difference i see is shinemaps...
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Mav

Ooh, pretty.  I'm seriously still in the market to make that high-poly if no one else is stepping up to the plate for it.

If I'd have had the time for it... I felt tempted to try it about half a year ago.
Yet it doesn't seem likely I'll get the time I'd need  :( , AND also note that I wrote "try" - I don't think I'm that good yet  :( , I just would have tried in order to (hopefully) improve my skills...

Anyway, nice to see my favorite fighter having started an overhaul.  :) :yes:
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

-----------------------------------
capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
-----------------------------------
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Combine that with a high-poly model and I think I'll fangasm. :p

Offline Muriac

Oh man that's beautiful. I've always despised the Dragon for ruining the MVP experience with its mushy textures. Of course, they take the longest to destroy, too, because they're so damn fast.

When doing the high-poly version (whoever does it), might I ask that you experiment a little with different looks for the two cannons? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they're the only Shivan weapons that look like Terran ones, and as such they're a little out of place.

Offline Turambar

*brushes off shovel*

sorry guys, needed this thread back where i could see it.

Offline Kaine

maybe i should break out milkshape and have a go at modelling. Problem is i've got no idea how to get models in-game. I can model and do some basic skinning but the raw model to in-game part i don't know.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
I'd like to HTL the Dragon (or perhaps start it from scratch) using my Blender 3D, which I have learned from the past few months, to gain more experience in 3D modeling.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
Yikes, thread necro.

Hasn't someone already at least attempted to do an HTL Dragon?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I smoothed one over for the interface; same goes for the Anubis, Seth and Amun. Perhaps I'll finish it someday.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Yes.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Aardwolf

I did a high-poly Dragon once. It doesn't look as awesome as I thought it did when I was making it, but it still exists. (Also it was sort of messed up, cuz I had the model flipped horizontally)

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
Gentlemen.

<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that