Author Topic: semi-sub-official hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!  (Read 148494 times)

Re: semi-sub-offitial hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!
If you read his "message to the Descent Community", though... he says he's done with the D2X-XL project for good. He'll fix a couple more bugs then abandon it.

I tell you... I'm really PO'ed at descentbb now... this guy did brilliant work and they do this? I simply don't see the logic behind it.  :mad:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline AusRED5

If you read his "message to the Descent Community", though... he says he's done with the D2X-XL project for good. He'll fix a couple more bugs then abandon it.
Of course I read it, and I've also talked to him after the fact.

Its not over.....and its not the end.... trust me.

Have faith.
When the time is right..... all will sort it self out.  ;)

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
*crosses fingers and hopes for the best*
I am a revolutionary.

Offline AusRED5

Here's an e-mail that Diedel sent me today.

Quote from: Diedel's e-mail
As I said, I will keep fixing bugs in D2X-XL. I will just not add new stuff (apart from what has been projected, like the hires models). That means D2X-XL should stay in a very healthy state. I will also keep my site and the SF.net project up. So people don't need to be worried about D2X-XL. It is here to stay. You can tell people that. ;)

I have added contact data to my Descent site, so people can reach me directly via e-mail if they wish now (see the "Impressum" link).

So there you have it guys. No need to worry! :D

good and thanks for what you did. :)

Offline watsisname

Whoa... the thread, it lives!  :eek:

I'm open for a game tonight (Thursday) and possibly Saturday night as well, probably between 9pm and 2am EST.  I'd love to get back into d2 with you guys again. :)
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Here is a thought.  It's clear Diedel isn't  liked over there at www.descentbb.net  what if we gave him a spot over here at hard-light where we are clarly a little more tollerant of otherpeoples hard work.  Freespace and Descent share some of the same roots, such as same software makers and Freespace 1 being called Descent: Freespace. Heck, I'm a little suprised there isn't a forum already.  ;)
Besides this has to be one of the longer threads in the history of hard-light.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Just as a general comment, please do remember that there's more than one side to every story.  I'm the last person who's about to point fingers, assign blames, or criticize anyone, but for those of you who are rather unfamiliar with the daily happenings of the DBB or the Descent community at large, try to keep in mind that making blanket statements about an incident whose history you are completely unaware of is not the most prudent of decisions.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Unless enlightened to the situation, I think you'll find most people here will support Diedel without considering the "other side of the story." This thread itself is a good example.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Quote from: http://www.descent2.de/index.html
The Future of D2X-XL

It has been brought to my attention that there is quite some uncertainty among the D2X-XL users about the future of D2X-XL. You can rest assured that there is no need to be worried. :) As I said, I will keep fixing bugs in D2X-XL. I will just not add new stuff (apart from what has been projected, like the hires models). That means that the state of D2X-XL should grow increasingly healthy. Actually you should be happy that I will stop to constantly screw something up while adding another feature or doing another crazy experiment. ;) I will also keep this site and the D2X-XL project on Sourceforge.net up. D2X-XL is here to stay.
*breathes sigh of relief*

Offline watsisname

Here is a thought.  It's clear Diedel isn't  liked over there at www.descentbb.net  what if we gave him a spot over here at hard-light where we are clarly a little more tollerant of otherpeoples hard work.  Freespace and Descent share some of the same roots, such as same software makers and Freespace 1 being called Descent: Freespace. Heck, I'm a little suprised there isn't a forum already.  ;)
Besides this has to be one of the longer threads in the history of hard-light.

That's not a bad idea, though I somewhat doubt that Diedel wants or requires being hosted here.  One the other hand, we could always ask and see. :)
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline karx11erx

• D2X-XL and DLE-XP coder
    • Descent 2 & D2X-XL
Actually I really want to tone my involvement with D2X-XL development down to the necessary minimum, so I think Sourceforge.net provides all of the necessary infrastructure. The D2X-XL area on DescentBB.net had been almost inactive during the last weeks, so it doesn't currently look like a D2X-XL specific forum is a necessity for the existance of the project. But thanks for the offer. :)

I definitely have to say that you guys here are a pleasant bunch of people to be with. I had browsed other parts of this forum and found it to be a remarkably friendly place. Keep it up. :)

As far as the recent events on DescentBB.net go: We have a saying in Germany that you always need two people for a fight. 'Nuff said.

Take care

Diedel

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I finally got D2X-XL to compile... so if anyone wants a game... I can play as soon as I procure a version of Descent 2   :)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It's good to know that D2X-XL development will continue. The Sourceforge system looks like a good choice for bug reporting. We use a very similar setup for FS2.

Speaking of compiling, can you (Diedel) post the compiler flags you're using for the Windows builds? I've been looking through the code a bit and am finding that the builds I make work okay, but the level loading times are much longer than in the official exes. There is a specific point in the loading sequence that goes very slow, so it would seem to be something related to either the compiler optimizations or the older VC version (6) I have.

I'm a little tied up this weekend, but am pretty much completely free for games next weekend. I don't think I've played at all since September, so it would be good to get some games going again.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Also... did you ever get multi player to work in Linux? I'm getting a variety of errors... am I missing configure flags?

Offline karx11erx

• Descent 2 & D2X-XL
Bug reports and support requests via D2X-XL on Sourceforge.net please.

I had it working in a LAN using direct UDP/IP connections.

Edit:

Mars, I have fixed a few bux in Linux UDP/IP code that mainly affected 64 bit Linux, but may also help with 32 bit Linux. Try port 0 (zero) if other ports don't work.

Anyway, as I said: No more bug reports here please. I want to get such stuff channelled through sourceforge.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 03:33:10 pm by karx11erx »

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Latest SVN build works like a charm. ^_^

If anyone wants a game this next weekend, I'm there... depending on how the multiplayer aspect works nowadays... I didn't have a problem on my LAN... but WAN is where the gremlins seem to live on D2X-XL

Offline karx11erx

• Descent 2 & D2X-XL
CP5670,

I should still have the MSVC 6 projects for D2X-XL. I could e-mail them to you.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I actually found that the loading speed issue was fixed with one of the newer versions. I think the source I was using earlier was a few weeks old. Thanks for the help in any case (and the fast response with the two bugs I submitted).

karx11erx,

Does D2X-XL support alternate hires player ship models* other than the Pyro-GL already available from your site? I realize you have (practically) ceased development on this project, but do you plan to implement this feature sometime in the future?

Thanks,
fsi.scsi

*i.e. Phoenix, Magnum AHT :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 01:19:06 pm by fsi.scsi »