Author Topic: semi-sub-official hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!  (Read 146706 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
semi-sub-official hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!
damn that was a cheasy thread id
anyway weve been having really awesome games for the past 3 or 4 days and we want more players. ulala has been so kind as to keep a d2 server going for the community to enjoy. we hope to see you around there.

to play you need :
d2x-xl which can be dled (as well as any custom missions we may be flying) here
descent 2 data files can be found here

extract both in the same directory and run the exe (i think)
in the multiplayer menu select join udp/ip netgame
the ip is 128.193.246.12 and port is 28342
hit enter and there should be a game there.
if noones playing its because were all asleep or otherwise occupied.
admins, hilight!

« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 01:36:06 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline karx11erx

• D2X-XL and DLE-XP coder
    • Descent 2 & D2X-XL
Re: semi-sub-offitial hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!
Find more players on the Descent BB. ;)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Re: semi-sub-offitial hlp super happy descent 2 mu
Sorry to steer the conversation away from the (very worthwhile) multiplayer aspect of the thread (I'm really enjoying the multiplayer).

But I'm having something strange happen with my OpenGL after playing. Ordinarily I have an OGL screen saver that turns itself own flawlessly after 3 minutes of screen inactivity. However after playing D2 I find myself only getting a black screen where once there was coloured goodness. I tried changing to another OGL screensaver and the same thing happens. Infact the only way to get things back to how they were is to restart the machine.

What gives?

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I've been trying to get used to the controles again, especaly the new setup I have with dual analauge sticks
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
damn that was a cheasy thread id
anyway weve been having really awesome games for the past 3 or 4 days and we want more players. ulala has been so kind as to keep a d2 server going for the community to enjoy. we hope to see you around there.

to play you need :
d2x-xl which can be dled (as well as any custom missions we may be flying) here
descent 2 data files can be found here

extract both in the same directory and run the exe (i think)
in the multiplayer menu select join udp/ip netgame
the ip is 128.193.246.12 and port is 28342
hit enter and there should be a game there.
if noones playing its because were all asleep or otherwise occupied.
admins, hilight!

I don't see any games. :(
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
me either, keep ckecking in, im sure wel see some more in the near future.

i got an idea
hlp vs dbb :nod:
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline wolfdog

i got an idea

We'd be outnumbered and out-gunned.... sounds fun :D count me in if I'm not at school or asleep.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Server is back into Deathmatch. IP is 128.193.246.12

Hope to see you there.  :)
I am a revolutionary.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I'll be on tonight as usual.

By the way, I couldn't rejoin your game last night. It behaved like I didn't have that level you were playing ("fire and steel" or something like that), even though I did in fact have it, and the auto-download thing wasn't working. Let's try to get all the levels we want to play in advance.

Offline Ulala

I'll see what I can do about putting together a .zip everyone can d/l with the levels I'll be hosting with. Strange auto-download wasn't working.. I was sure to have it enabled.  :doubt:
I am a revolutionary.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
It's funny, I've never played Descent online and this is the first time I've played D2.  I got Descent 3 last year but never got into it.  I got Descentone with an ancient pc, it was fun but my newer pc runs it to quickly, almost like it's being fast forwarded.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
im also working on a level, not sure if anyone will like it but wel see. id like to replace the pyro with something freespacy though. but the descent model converter has some rather strict modeling requirements.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Ulala

I wonder if it'd be possible to code in an actual dedicated server option, with map rotation, working auto-d/l, etc... Sorry the server is a little.. well, bumbling. I try to check it as often as I can to ensure things are working properly.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
er.. so yeh... does it work ok with 56K dialup?? :nervous:
This is a blast.  I was dreading hooking up the old dosbox for this.  I absolutely love this game still to this day.  Both of em that is, D1 and D2. 
"Descent - 360 degrees of vertical motion.  Doom - Zero"

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
damn my hog file went corrupt on me. ive tried every trick but it refuses to load for further editing. i can still edit the rl2 file and i still got my custom pog but ive tried every hog editor out there and i still get the same load failure when i try to load it up in dle.  oh well, my levels suck anyway.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Ulala

Sad! I was looking forward to playing it.  :(
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i remember having similar problems with dmb2. get something near completion and then the mission file gets corrupted. it had this really cool hyperspace speed tunnel that took me all day to make. it would have led to the boss chamber that would have my custom gatling boss i made awhile back. aside from that it also had a large vertical shaft that would have had various rooms at each level. it would have also had vertical speed tunnels to make traversing the shaft alot faster. oddly the mission still works in game. assuming dle continues to let me edit the pog file i should be able to continue work on it and hog everything later. but im tired and i dont feel like any more modding today.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline karx11erx

• D2X-XL and DLE-XP coder
    • Descent 2 & D2X-XL
me either, keep ckecking in, im sure wel see some more in the near future.

i got an idea
They would eat you for breakfast. The guys at the DBB have never stopped playing Descent. ;)

At the DBB, we are currently working on providing a unified tracker service to allow for easy D1/2 game access.

Nuke,

read your PM. I might be able to fix your level file.

Re auto download: Both players need to have it enabled. If it doesn't work, try to increase the auto-d/l timeout.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 06:12:14 am by karx11erx »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Sorry I didn't join last night; I got tied up with some things and forgot about it until 4:00 or so, after which you had left.

I have several crazy levels lying around. I made them when I was 10 or 11 (with the old DMB2) and they aren't exactly of the highest quality, but a few of them are somewhat decent.

Offline Ulala

They'd be fun to try out.  :) I increased the auto-d/l timeout, so if you have it enabled, it should work.. hopefully.
I am a revolutionary.