Author Topic: Download Freespace 2 SCP (Complete) Packed by Shivan_SPS  (Read 128760 times)

Offline neoterran

Re: Download Freespace 2 SCP (Complete) Packed by Shivan_SPS
The problem with this torrent and others of the same ilk is that it can cause some serious problems on certain machine configurations. I originally got into the SCP with this torrent but it was very unstable and would have multiple problems, probably because it was only playtested on one machine (shivans) and it has issues on different configurations. However, it was very useful for showing me how a SCP setup should look like and i ended up cannibalizing various files when i rebuilt my own 4 GB SCP extravaganza setup, which looks awesome.

But it was a LOT of work and trial and error to get to that point. Trial and error during which I learned alot about how the SCP and the files and mod system work. 

I think that using a huge torrent of "it's all set up" is good idea in theory, but not in practice for the above reasons. Those people who are interested in the SCP are encouraged to use the FAQ, read through these boards, and slowly put their versions together. If you start having issues, don't use experimental features, etc. What works on some peoples systems doesn't work on others, keep that in mind.   
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Download Freespace 2 SCP (Complete) Packed by
The idea is a good one but I think ShivanSPS made a few errors in setting up that I'm sure he wouldn't duplicate if he had to do it again today.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline ShivanSpS

Yeah, you right... anyway, someone can told me what exactly is wrong? I think in 3 things, about the Low-end shockwaves, the HTL Ursa, and the high poly lucifer that causes slowdowns on somesystems...

Anyway, the CVS 1/25 is bad too, but for that moment is the better that I found.... I planing to give the FS2 SCP pack 2.0 as soon 3.6.8 get stable... Which the finals 3.6.8 VPs I hope that ones includes the Low-end shockwaves :P

anyway, I cant even think is giving a new pack right now, I having a lot of problems in some mods yet... the Port have a lot of CTD that one moths ago dont have.... cold be CVS or 3.0.3 problem I no know... Also I getting some randon hangs in the lasts CVS vercions... so is imposible to give anything now.

Addicionaly, the pack 2.0 will include OpenAL installed, its only need the OpenAL32.dll right?

About the mv_adveffects.vp... what you think guys? I should be optional, installed or not even there? for the pack 2.0, as I know the adveffects is no needed and have a big performance hit. But I still could give them in a folder inside the mediavps so is not to be used.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 01:55:42 pm by ShivanSpS »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Personally I'd add a mod.ini for the main folder saying that the mod is running without any of the graphics upgrades and to choose mediavps to turn them back on again.

Offline ShagRug

Here's a question: on the second (or possibly third) mission, I get an error when the briefing starts to load; it says:

Can't open model file <cruiser01x.pof>
File:\fs2_open\code\model\modelread.cpp
Line: 1744
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

These are my settings:

C:\Games\Games\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_r-20060125.exe -spec -glow -jpgtga -mipmap -cache_bitmaps -missile_lighting

I got through the first mission or two with zero problems, it looks fantastic, all my settings worked just fine.  Then, this.  I'm relatively new to the SCP, but I was hoping that someone here might have some ideas.  I thought I'd post in this thread because I'm using Shivan's pack (thanks Shivan!).  In short: HELP!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 07:21:53 pm by ShagRug »

Offline neoterran

I think this has to do with the ships.tbl file that is in the main directory. To be completely honest though, I just rebuilt my entire install due to these errors rather than figure them out. But i can tell you if the SCP is configured right on your machine, it will not have errors like that. It can run (relatively) bug free.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline ShivanSpS

You are using the meviaVPs folder as a mod no?

anyway, update that CVS, "fs2_open_r-20060125.exe" is too old... go to the CVS post in Souce code project, a download a standart one...

to ShagRug and anyother that have problems....
I have played the FS2 retail campaing which everything as they are in my pack, using the last CVS build the 3/23...

I never played from 0 the retail which the 1/25... I have heart that could be a problem which the ships.tbl in the data folder, but that file is needed for the low end shockwaves... so dont deleted it.

so, everyone, use the last CVS there should be no mayor problems...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 10:34:09 pm by ShivanSpS »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yep. The ships.tbl is the problem. Personally I'd suggest that he simply goes to the mod tab on the launcher, picks choose mod and selects mediavps as the mod so that he can play with the full graphics.

Offline ShivanSpS

Yeah, but I dint having any problems which the ships.tbl... why others have it?

About the mod.ini... is done.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You probably played only with mediavps as your mod or didn't play any missions featuring the Leviathan/Cain/Lilith (whichever one Cruiser02x is).

As you can see this is exactly why I stated that there is only very rarely a good reason to put anything in \Data\

Okay, I'm giving this torrent to a friend, what other files do I need to give him to make this run properly? To which build should i link him exactly?
Also, its a weak PC, should he enable mediaVPs?

Offline ShagRug

Well, I'll be damned; putting mediavps as a mod did the trick.  Might as well update the CVS while I'm at it.  Thanks all!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Okay, I'm giving this torrent to a friend, what other files do I need to give him to make this run properly? To which build should i link him exactly?
Also, its a weak PC, should he enable mediaVPs?

From what I understand the torrent should run perfectly well on a high powered PC if you simply install it and choose mediavps as your mod.

On a less powerful PC you may have to delete/remove mv_adveffects.vp

Offline ShivanSpS

launcher6.ini of my pack

#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
[launcher]
exe_filepath = C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_r-20060125.exe;
game_flags = -cell -spec -glow -jpgtga -mipmap -missile_lighting -dualscanlines -targetinfo -rearm_timer -ballistic_gauge -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload -oldfire ;
active_mod = mediavps;

I see many people have removed the mediavps as a mod xD

Yeah, you right... anyway, someone can told me what exactly is wrong? I think in 3 things, about the Low-end shockwaves, the HTL Ursa, and the high poly lucifer that causes slowdowns on somesystems...

Anyway, the CVS 1/25 is bad too, but for that moment is the better that I found.... I planing to give the FS2 SCP pack 2.0 as soon 3.6.8 get stable... Which the finals 3.6.8 VPs I hope that ones includes the Low-end shockwaves :P

anyway, I cant even think is giving a new pack right now, I having a lot of problems in some mods yet... the Port have a lot of CTD that one moths ago dont have.... cold be CVS or 3.0.3 problem I no know... Also I getting some randon hangs in the lasts CVS vercions... so is imposible to give anything now.

Addicionaly, the pack 2.0 will include OpenAL installed, its only need the OpenAL32.dll right?

About the mv_adveffects.vp... what you think guys? I should be optional, installed or not even there? for the pack 2.0, as I know the adveffects is no needed and have a big performance hit. But I still could give them in a folder inside the mediavps so is not to be used.

HI Shivan,
thanks for the work you did. Already gave the Pack away to some friends so we can play FSPort multiplayer soon.
So far one can´t play at all and one got a problem in mission3 of FSPort. (Don´t know the details yet). I played through   FSPort 3.0.x and DoP, started Awakenings (waiting now for AdmiralNelsons adjustments.)
Had only a few troubles. Using 23-3-2006 build now.
mv_adveffects is commented out and I prefer it that way so I can still show it off to friends with better graphic cards ;)
So I am for optional. I would also include Xvid codecs since they aren´t so big. Unfortunately .NET Framework 1.0 plus Update is rather big otherwise I would include it too. I got friends who either don`t have broadband acccess or don´t trust Microsoft enough to access their website.

Offline ShivanSpS

Well, my pack have the port 2.3, if you have upgraded to 3.0, remember that there is a new files that you new to delete, and as far i know, both awakenings and DOP of my pack cant be used which port 3.0

Deleted 2.3 and installed DoP3.0. Awakenings is missing some weapons and ships but works up to mission 3.
I like playing in a "historical" timeline so I didn´t try the FS2 campaign yet. Should I delete anything else, like in the data folder ?

Offline ShivanSpS

mm no, the things in data folder should cause no problems, if you always use the meviavps or a mod that uses the vps in a the ini file...
Anyway, you can move the files inside of the Ursa folder to your mediavps/data folder... because is not used whee in right now.

Offline d4oa

Hi, firstly thanks shivan for this pack but alas all is not well.

At first it gave me a whole bunch of errors so I upgraded the launcher to 5.3, dl'd the 367 official build + the relevant vp's, installed open al, am using opengl. Yet when I run fs2 or any other mod (fs1 etc) I get a selection of errors about the piranha, see below. I dont see what else to do, ive tried changing various feature settings such as 'load only used weapons' to no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Error: mv_shockwave-wep.tbm(3):
Error: Required token = [$Model file:], found [$Shockwave Speed:   90.0]
in weapon: Piranha.

File:parse/parselo.cpp
Line: 551
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------

That particular error means that the weps tbl entry is out of order. Look in the FS Wiki and there should be a list of the correct order of table entries. If you think you can rearrange it yourself, try, but keep the original table as a back up. Believe me when I say table files are frustrating to change.

Oh and by the way...

:welcome:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"