Author Topic: Port and Silent Threat: Reborn FAQ  (Read 139967 times)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Re: Port and Silent Threat: Reborn FAQ
Try a newer build, much newer, maybe the Team Loadout test build I belive it is the most up-to-date.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Q: Now that Import Background makes it so easy, are you going to be using lightspeeds nebulae?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
A: Eventually, but Import Background has nothing to do with it. :p

I'm going to add a "Substitute Background" feature that lets a new background override the default one, just like we have "Substitute Music" to override the FS2 music with FS1 music.  That'll let us use the new backgrounds without breaking retail compatibility.

It might go faster if we had a recommended selection of backgrounds to quickly choose from. :)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
How much closer are you done to releasing ST:R? The wait is killing me. :p
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Yeah, will it be somtime this summer, or in the fall (again)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Hopefully in 2006.  Of course, last year I said hopefully in 2005.  We'll see. :nervous:

By the way, I've created a wiki page about the campaign, at least until we get an official web page up. :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 09:20:11 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
Here's a Q.

Q: I have installed FS2 Retail and applied the 1.02 patch. I've downloaded FS1 port 3.0.3 and all the other goodies files from the website for the FS1 port. I do not have original FS1.

Exactly what do I need to do to make FS1 Port 3.0.3 work with FS2 Retail? What folders do I need to create, if any? Which of the files go in which folders? the readme with 3.0.3 mentions copying/extracting stuff from FS1 _or_ downloading it from the FS1 Port site, but then fails to tell exactly what to do from there.
<end Q>

Since I haven't found a 'compleat newbie' guide to setting up this port, I tried dumping all the port's .vp files in the main freespace2 folder where FS2's are. That sorta works. I get the FS1 main hall, dunno if the music's different. Only the FS2 campaign is available. Ships are different but breifing text/voice/animation in the first training mission are from FS2. There's also the problem of the script wanting the player to go at max speed but expecting a max slightly slower than the ship can do so it never gets past that. (Is there a key that adjusts max speed in 1M/sec increments? Page up/down goes too much at a step.)

P.S. Reminds me of a Dune II game ROM I tried to get to work on a HP-48 calculator emulator. The instructions provided told the user every piece of info, how to load the ROM into the emulator etc, except for the most important instruction, what virtual button(s) on the emulator to click to run the ROM so it could be played. So the ROM was in the emulator's memory space and there it sat doing nothing no matter what buttons I clicked because the person who packaged the ROM assumed everyone would already know how to run it.

Think of telling a person who doesn't know what a car or a gas pump are how to fill the car's tank with fuel! Every little niggling detail has to be included because you cannot assume any prior knowledge on the part of the person doing the task. Wayyyyy back when in grade school, one of my teachers did stuff like this where pairs of students had to direct each other through a task, with the one doing it doing only and exactly what they were told. Much funny stuff happened! :) Dunno if anyone else learned the lesson, but it helped me a whole bunch in dealing with walking people through computer problems later. (I've 23 years experience as a computer (ab)user.) I also gained a rather low irritation threshhold for unclear/incomplete instructions.  :ick: If you want to see what has to be among the finest examples of instructions for the total newbie, find a manual for the IBM PCjr. It tells the user _exactly_ what he needs to know, leaves nothing out and doesn't go off on tangents about how stuff's different on other IBM models.
"They were really only teeny little A-bombs, honest!" Dr. Charles Dart

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
In order to work with retail, all the VPs must be put in the FreeSpace2 folder.  Just remember to remove the VPs if you want to run a different mod later on.

To play the Port campaign, first make sure all the Port VPs are present and especially make sure the fsport-missions.vp is present.  Then fire up FS2, create a new pilot, go to the campaign room, and select "The Main FreeSpace Campaign".  Then go to the ready room and it'll start the campaign for you.

Retail doesn't support the FS1 music or the enhanced backgrounds, but you'll still be able to play the FS1 campaign with all the FS1 ships. :)

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
Ah! This is what confused me!

FreeSpace Port 3.0 Mission Pack (904 kb) - All the missions from FreeSpace 1 and Silent Threat, including the standalone and multiplayer missions.

FreeSpace 1 Training (8.6 mb) - Overrides the mission pack campaign to add the training missions. Includes voice.

That and the much larger size led me to believe that it included the non-training missions too!

Perhaps changing the description to "Adds the training missions and voice." would make it clearer?

Q2: Can I have the FS1 port installed and still play regular FS2 or do I need to move the FS1 files when I want to play FS2 missions?
"They were really only teeny little A-bombs, honest!" Dr. Charles Dart

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ah! This is what confused me!

FreeSpace Port 3.0 Mission Pack (904 kb) - All the missions from FreeSpace 1 and Silent Threat, including the standalone and multiplayer missions.

FreeSpace 1 Training (8.6 mb) - Overrides the mission pack campaign to add the training missions. Includes voice.

That and the much larger size led me to believe that it included the non-training missions too!

Perhaps changing the description to "Adds the training missions and voice." would make it clearer?

Ah!  Okay, I see how that could be confusing.  Sorry.  Yes, I'll change the description.

Q2: Can I have the FS1 port installed and still play regular FS2 or do I need to move the FS1 files when I want to play FS2 missions?

Just remember to remove the VPs if you want to run a different mod later on.

Including unmodded FS2. :)

can i use these together with the vp's?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You mean, together with the FS2 vps?

Yes, but keep in mind you won't be able to play the FS2 campaign (or any non-FSPort campaign) while the FSPort vps are there.

Hey goober I tried something that might help, I placed all the current mods I have in their own folders IE awakenings, COW, homesick etc. and put the port in the main FS2 folder along with what was already there from the scp, and when I want the FS1 or Silent threat I use the FS2 retail launcher, with my pilot, if I want he SCP mods, I use the launcher and select the mod I want, so fat the only problem I've had is no sound or weapons in Silent threat, but if I remember right I can fix that.

Just a thought for U guys to try.
All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Hey goober I tried something that might help, I placed all the current mods I have in their own folders IE awakenings, COW, homesick etc. and put the port in the main FS2 folder along with what was already there from the scp, and when I want the FS1 or Silent threat I use the FS2 retail launcher, with my pilot, if I want he SCP mods, I use the launcher and select the mod I want, so fat the only problem I've had is no sound or weapons in Silent threat, but if I remember right I can fix that.

That is entirely the wrong way to do it.  If you keep the FSPort vps in the FreeSpace2 folder, but use non-FSPort mods, you're going to get some very unpredictable results.

Yea I'm starting to find that out with Awakenings .

Ya know what goober I did it again LOL wound up uninstalling and reinstalling FS1

The bad part is Goober was right, I had some really unexpected problems with the mods and the SCP both, so I wound up doing the uninstall/reinstall thing again with both FS1 and FS2, once again all mods working as advertised, only thing is I still have no sound with Silent threat LOL I have never had any voice with Silent threat, I can run the Main FS1 from  training all the way to the end with no problems, but Silent threat has always been a silent movie for me LOL.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 08:08:15 pm by wolfen »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Do you have OpenAL installed?

Yep open al is installed, although it looks lie FS1 isn't anymore, just an empty folder there, could that have a little bit to do with it LOL.

Quick question. Does the Lucifer in FSPort use Ses--...Sesque...that one guy's SSLBeam, or the original (*coughboringcough*) Shivan Super Laser? I noticed the SSLBeams are included in the mod.