Author Topic: Port and Silent Threat: Reborn FAQ  (Read 139962 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Port and Silent Threat: Reborn FAQ
Post your questions here and we will answer them... maybe. :drevil:

You get the first two for free:

Q: When is version 3.0 coming out?
A: This month, hopefully. :) 3.4 is out already.

Q: When is ST:R coming out?
A: Soon. :nervous: Is out already.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 11:25:07 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
Re: Port and Silent Threat: Reborn FAQ
hi,
ok here the questions:
any pre-chance list of 2.3 to 3.0 or feature list of 3.0 avaible?

and what is ST:R  :confused:

Mehrpack
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 10:51:59 pm by Mehrpack »
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline Cyker

Will it be available to download via either BitTorrent or at least some Non-Evil place (i.e. NOT FilePlanet or any other Must Register scumbag download place?)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
any pre-chance list of 2.3 to 3.0 or feature list of 3.0 avaible?

Here's what the readme currently says:
Updates in 3.0:
--Overhauled the Port to use the FS1 tables, including ships, weapons, sounds, and species.
--Added the revised and enhanced FS1 music table (SCP).
--Added the FS1 personas.
--Added the FS1 ranks (SCP) and medals.
--Reconverted the FS1 missions using the import feature in FRED2 Open.
--Restored the FS1 shockwave behavior (SCP).
--Added the following ships:
----**** ******* (*******)
----**** ******* (*******)
----*** * (*******)
----*** ******* (*******)

and what is ST:R  :confused:

Silent Threat: Reborn.  A complete rewrite of the original Silent Threat.  Same plot, better missions. ;)

Will it be available to download via either BitTorrent or at least some Non-Evil place (i.e. NOT FilePlanet or any other Must Register scumbag download place?)

Yup.  Straight from HLP, hopefully.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 06:02:31 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
hi,
thanks a lot and sound interesting.

ah ST:R = Silent Thread *smack me self*  :lol:, thx.

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline Nuclear1

Q: Will current projects being made with Port 2.3 be compatible with 3.0?

(Yes, I know we discussed this via PMs, but I'd thought I'd throw it out there for others :) )
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline bfobar

Q: Will there be a way to override existing campaign ships.tbl and weapon.tbl files with the ones in the new port? I'm playing the Shrouding the Light campaigns right now and have had to do a fair amount of table hacking to get the right ships weapons to get recognized for the right missions so that the game won't crash.

Q: How are you handling the voices on the ST:R campaign? all the original material from Violition or are you redoing that too for the missions?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Q: Will current projects being made with Port 2.3 be compatible with 3.0?

(Yes, I know we discussed this via PMs, but I'd thought I'd throw it out there for others :) )

Ugh. :p Version 3.0 will be rebuilt from the ground up, so older campaigns won't really be compatible with it.  The upside is that you'll be able to convert FSMs to FS2s very quickly with the SCP converter.

Q: Will there be a way to override existing campaign ships.tbl and weapon.tbl files with the ones in the new port? I'm playing the Shrouding the Light campaigns right now and have had to do a fair amount of table hacking to get the right ships weapons to get recognized for the right missions so that the game won't crash.

You can override tables with the Port just like with any other mod.  If you're having trouble with the STL mods then you may have other stuff hanging around your folder that you're not aware of.  Try reading karajorma's FAQ.

Q: How are you handling the voices on the ST:R campaign? all the original material from Violition or are you redoing that too for the missions?

The new messages will be voiced.  I'm not sure if we'll redo the personas.

Offline Steel01

Q: will the mainhalls be included?
Snips from Hackers Defend Liberty (Definitions for hacker):
But I like rescuing good words from sad bad fates, and so I cling to Eric Raymond's definition:
    "1. A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary...
    "7. One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming or circumventing limitations.

I also like tinkerer, as defined by Freedom to Tinker:
    "Your freedom to understand, discuss, repair, and modify the technological devices you own."

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Q: will the mainhalls be included?

Maybe.  I need to talk to Galemp about that.

Offline CaptJosh

I tried to start redoing the mainhall tables myself, but I never quite got around to it.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Update: Main halls have been included. :) If you use a SCP build after 3/1/2006 and include warble_fs1, they'll also play the FS1 music. :)

Hello, I have a problem. It's a huge problem. I was a childhood fan of Freespace and Freespace 2. I have now been out of the community for over 5 years. Now all of a sudden I come back and there is this MASSIVE WAVE of information and builds and downloads and mods EVERYWHERE, and I do not even know where to start. Basically my question is, from what I have gathered this is a port of the FS1 game to the FS2 engine. I would like to play it. I have FS2 installed on my comp and nothing else. Can I play it? And how do I install it?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

Offline bfobar

Q: Got any progress updates on ST:R? Preferably in the form of pretty screenshots. I like looking at pretty screenshots...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Eh, might as well.  In no particular order...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Nice.  You've updated "Hellfire" to include friendly cap-ship support, and you've increased the number of ships around Jotenheim.  That looks like a mini-shipyard there.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Sexy

Offline Nuclear1

I agree with the two posts above.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline shiven_warior

• A true shivan
when i try to load freespace 3.6.7 open with the port 3.0.3 it says "cant load main hall galetae" or something like that what is wrong?
i know i misspeld my name >_<