Author Topic: What is the raw math behind primary weapons, energy, and damage?  (Read 7887 times)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Re: What is the raw math behind primary weapons, energy, and damage?
In that case, I've been doing something horribly, horribly wrong :nervous:. I'd better figure out how to use that ETS.

Offline bfobar

If I were re-releasing freespace 2, I'd make trebuchets bomb targetable. They're fast enough that a barrage would make it through, but the capital ships should have a fighting chance angainst some guy in an Aries at 5k lobbing in trebs 1 at a time.

Maxims do too much subsystem damage for their range I think. Either cap ships should have gotten subsystem shielding, maxims should do less damage, should be ballistic to avoid abuse.Or cap ships should get 3km weapons to shoot back with. I think on hard difficulty though, maxims become more feasable because it's hard to keep them fed with energy without sacrificing speed or shields, making them a liability, which they should be with the damage they do. On easy though, maxims are cheese.

Do tag missles ever do anything useful besides make for a mission objective?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Whoa!  :bump:
I agree with you about Maxims and Trebs.
TAG missiles only work on properly FREDed missions, I'm not sure how many in the main campagin are properly FREDed, at least the one with the GTCv Warspite in the Barracudas.

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
[...]

If you like the Erinyes with duel Kaysers then do yourself a favor and turn up the difficulty: usually people fly the Erinyes with a Subach/Kayser combination, or duel Prometheus S. Kaysers drain your energy banks faster then anything save the Maxim and will drain them in seconds on any difficulty but Very Easy. Test it out for yourself, when you get to Clash of Titan's II give yourself the Erinyes with duel Kaysers on medium and try to save all of the cruisers. You can't recharge your primaries much while your running from one wing to anouther. For that very reason my favorite weapon is the Subach HL-7, you virtually can't run out of energy with it on anything other then Insane (which I'm trying (and failing) to play the main campagin on currently, I had problems with an empty primary bank on The Roman's Blunder.)

hi,
in the erinyes one kaysers are enough or all other fighters were a single bank have 4 guns (best compination is kaysers/maxim), if you have only 2x2 its better to use it linked, like in perseus.
use it single, the firerate is very high and the powerdrain is not so high.
if you want a little bit more area damge put it in the first bank, for point damage use the second bank, but i think the first bank is better.
you can shot with a single kaysers without problem a wing of 4 seraphims really fast down and you have in the most time enaugh energy to shot directly one or two other bomber down, too.

and imho is with the single bank in the erinyes the rate of shots that not completely hit lower as with the linked bank and so you saving energy too.

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline bfobar

I usually go with a keyser and a maxim in an erinyes, only use one or the other on single fire, turn up my weapon power as much as I can get away with, and make sure that I don't shoot unless I know I'm going to hit. Power drain is insane, but so is the damage.