Author Topic: Lucifer then... Lucifer now...  (Read 8638 times)

Offline mnftg64

Lucifer then... Lucifer now...
So I have always wondered why in FS1 the Lucifer was shielded so well we couldn't touch it except in subspace... but in FS2 this is not the case... What the heck happened to that? Did the shivans get dumb or something? I would think that even though it can be destroyed in subspace, that would be a good thing because it forces the enemies to do extra work to destroy it...

Thoughts?

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Re: Lucifer then... Lucifer now...
You see, the Shivans are trying to run old software with their ultra-new equipment--much like us playing old DOS games-- and every time they activate it, all their computers lock up, and then slowly melt into plaster of paris...somehow...

I wouldn't say the Shivans became dumb, rather the Terran and Vasudan military got just a bit smarter and bit better armed.  When you look at FS1, most GTA and PVE ships are inferior in terms of capital ship combat.  Granted, their fighters got massive upgrades via shields and better weapons to make them more formidable.  As a rule though, most Shivan ships were superior initially.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the GTVA became better equipped.  Sure, the Lucifer is immune to harm via FS1 era weaponry, but we've never seen one battle another.  Beam weapons changed the equation.  We have no idea how effective (canon wise on FRED wise) such weapons would be against the Lucifer's shields, so its fair to say a Lucifer might not do so well against modern GTVA warships.
GTI Rebellion FREDer

Dissident Theory

Permissum sacramentum non exsisto infractus , per fides exsisto led.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
They didn't have Will Smith in Freespace 1? :nervous:

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I seem to recall a quotation about the fact that beam cannons made Shivan Sheilds less dangerous, in the intel section of the tech room maybe? Could very well be wrong...

Offline mnftg64

I kinda meant in relation to fighters...

Unless I am completely making this up, in FS1, fighter weapons and missles do 0% damage. In FS2 fighter weapons and missles can do damage. Do you think that GTVA weapons are really just that much more advanced?

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
The Lucifer proper was a special case.  There isn't an equivalent in FS2, so it's hardly suprising that fighters are capable weapons against Shivan capital ships.  They were in FS1 for all ships other than the Lucifer.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline ZmaN

WOW thats funny
Well what do I do now?  Well Jack, you seem to have an act for blowing things up....

www.underoath777.com  <---  The BEST BAND EVER!

My Rig:
NZXT Apollo Case, with the insides painted black, and refinished side panels
Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750 watt PSU
Intel Xeon E3110 (e8400) OC'd to 3.6ghz
Xigmatek S1283 HDT Cooler
Biostar TPower I45 Motherboard
2 x 2GB's Crucial Ballistx DDR2-800 RAM
XFX Geforce 8800GTX GPU
Onboard sound
3 x 36GB Raptors in RAID 0
1 x Western Digital 640GB stand-alone

Matthew 1:1-2  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was with God in the beginning.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You see, the Shivans are trying to run old software with their ultra-new equipment--much like us playing old DOS games-- and every time they activate it, all their computers lock up, and then slowly melt into plaster of paris...somehow...

Best explanation evah.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline mnftg64

Yeah, I guess the Lucifer in FS1 could be a special case, but if it worked so well, why not do it for all Lucifer class destroyers?

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
So I have always wondered why in FS1 the Lucifer was shielded so well we couldn't touch it except in subspace... but in FS2 this is not the case... What the heck happened to that? Did the shivans get dumb or something? I would think that even though it can be destroyed in subspace, that would be a good thing because it forces the enemies to do extra work to destroy it...

Thoughts?

I believe (in the days of the VBB) one of the developers stated the Lucifer was only invulnerable to FS1-era weapons; i.e. the GTVA simply didn't have the munitions, rather than it being literally invulnerable.  Plus beams cut right through shields, and the Lucifer seems to be a special case ship (particularly with 4 reactors, which sort of implies some very heavy power requirements), so there possibly isn't any point in the Shivans shielding the likes of the Sath.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£

WOW thats funny

Actually, it was more satirical, but thanks anyway ;)

Offline Shade

why not do it for all Lucifer class destroyers
Maybe they did. We only ever saw the one so there's no telling whether they did that or not. Or if others even exist.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Nuclear1

I seem to recall a quotation about the fact that beam cannons made Shivan Sheilds less dangerous, in the intel section of the tech room maybe? Could very well be wrong...

No, actually you're correct. IIRC, beams were specifically developed to deal with the possibility of a second Lucifer-class destroyer.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

mnftg64, the Lucifer in FS1 was set with an invulnerable flag by the mission designers. That is the only difference. It's an in mission, FREDded, "invulnerable" flag. Except in the last mission (Good Luck), obviously. There is no "special shielding" of ANY kind built into the ship, although I'm sure someone could conceivably add sheath shielding to the HTL Lucifer and set the shields powerful enough that only beam cannons, and not fighter weapons, can penetrate it.

That's why if you make a mission in FS2 and slap a Lucifer class into a blank mission and shoot it, you'll do damage. Canonically speaking, [V]olition never had a Lucifer class in the FS2 campaign (only the heavily armored Sathanas) so they didnt bother to make the FS2 Lucifer actually have shields penetrable only by beam cannons, hence your confusion.

Offline Nuclear1

Yes, that's the technical explanation for it. We already know about the invulnerable flag attached to the FS1 Lucy, so the discussion primarily lies with the story-based explanation for the shielding.

There is no "special shielding" of ANY kind built into the ship, although I'm sure someone could conceivably add sheath shielding to the HTL Lucifer and set the shields powerful enough that only beam cannons, and not fighter weapons, can penetrate it.

IIRC this is the case with the FSPort--there is an actual visible shield that forms when weapons are fired at it. Of course, since they typically go through shields like a knife through butter, beam cannons would do damage against the Lucy, laser cannons and missiles wouldn't.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Although, the Lucifers' shields were described as 'sheath' shielding, which could imply some totally different type of technology.

Offline bfobar

Are there any mods where capital ship shielding works and looks neat like fighter shielding? It would be fun to have missions with shield breaking bombs and stuff.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I belive the sheilded Deimos model was made to prove that it could be done, go look on Hades Combine.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
It had shield bubbles around turrets and subsystems, but you won't be able to import them to the HTL model, as they won't line up properly.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!