Author Topic: Stem Cells FTW! :D  (Read 25903 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
[q]
Then we must concede that science cannot fully explain it. So if it's impossible to fully explain the natural universe, how can we hope to explain the supernatural?
[/q]

That's not actually what I said.  What I said was that in order to explain such a thing, we don't need to explicitly model the entire universe but a sufficient subset of knowledge.

[q]
Fair enough.  But those characteristics, because they have a supernatural cause, will not be explicable by a natural cause.[/q]

That would depend upon the method of action.  A truly supernatural cause would be indistinct from natural action, random or otherwise, because an observable miracle or 'divine act' is surely defined by observability.

[q]
No; you're confusing "science currently doesn't know the answer" with "science cannot know the answer".  Granted, it's not always easy (especially from a subjective viewpoint) to tell the difference, but the difference is there.[/q]

And you're assuming science cannot know the answer, which is an equally subjective viewpoint.  The difference is, the former encourages active questioning and advancement to push towards that answer.  The latter deters it by making the act of learning and exploration inconsequential.

[q]
The context of that passage is not a mathematical treatise; it's a description of temple artifacts.  Strict accuracy wasn't needed; 3 is an acceptable "rounding off" of pi.

That passage isn't even making a proclamation (e.g. "Thus saith the Lord: The measurement round a circle shall be exactly thrice its span").  It's describing something a certain person did.[/q]

'And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it about. ' I believe is the quote.  This is the specification for the Great Temple of Solomon IIRC, which raises an interesting question as to why you would use a value known to be wrong as an engineering specification?  Moreso, the point is that you cannot take the bible literally in this case; in order to accept it as true, you need to twist and rationalise it in some way, making assumptions about the meaning of the passage.  As written, it is wrong.  Only by interpreting it as an acceptable margin of error, or rounding, etc, can you square it with both what is known now, and what was known then (the Babylonians, for example, had pi to something like the 3rd decimal place).

[q]Well, over the internet is a far cry from seeing it in person. [/q]

Seeing it in person is a far cry from empiracal evidence.  St. Elmos fire would be a divine manifestation if seen in person.

[q]He's a full-time missionary - his stories are about the only thing he can sell.  He still has to make a living.

And if he was just a shyster looking to make a quick buck, why on Earth is he doing it in a third-world country?  There's no shortage of televangelists willing to defraud Americans out of their cash, for example.  Why go to Zaire?[/q]

He can cite millions of people seeing it, and say 'look, here's some documentation and believers', then flog a tonne of books.  Being in Zaire (now DRC) would mean that it's easier to do it away from scrutiny, and a lot easier to get round tricky red tape - it's a country synonymous with corruption.  It's also a country which is in a key area for missionaries (one of the few growth areas of Christianity IIRC, as the developed world tends to lapse), and one where - without wishing to sound insulting - decades of instability and conflict (and the resulting infrastructure damage) would leave a population both undereducated and more desperate for hope.

I mean, I'm pretty sure there are a hell of a lot of missionaries who don't need to release 12 books or so to live or do their job.

[q]
What sort of personal stake do I have in telling you this? [/q]

To go against it would be raise issues of your belief. If you take my position, where religious belief is a method of self-rationalisation enforced by societal status benefits, the last thing you'd want to do - subconsciously - is to leave it unjustified.  You'd feel obliged to defend your position, same as I feel onliged to reply and actually try and cite some justification.  It's a sort of feedback loop; without debating the veracity of a particular miracle or not, you want to believe in miracles because seeing miracles reinforces your belief, so you become more likely to see miracles.  Is the sun coming up every day ultimately a miracle, or ultimately just physics?  We all have our opinions.

It's like you say below with the whole 'open your eyes' or whatever type thing.  Once you believe, you don't want to turn against what is a nice psychologal bulwark (this goes both ways, of course, and I'm not going to do a Kazan and say you're delusional or some ****e, because it's impolite and arrogant to make that presumption). 

It's psychologically complex; where you see some miracle that reinforces your faith, I see something with logical holes that reinforces my doubt.  It's highly subjective, no doubt. But I'm not going to assume I'm automatically right, that my view should be held higher than yours, and I'd ask you do the same and not assume that what you believe, no matter how right it feels to you, is right for everyone or anyone else.

[q]
Well, compare that to people who try a diet for three days with no observable results and conclude it doesn't work.  Or, if you thought there was buried treasure in your backyard, would you dig a few holes and conclude it wasn't there?  Instant gratification nowadays has dulled us to the things that actually require hard work. [/q]

Strangely, it's the 'hard work' of observational results that convinces me there is no justification for organizaed religion beyond the socio-political.  You can self-justify it by twisting round the Bible and God to explain the duality of interventional miracles and bad things happening to good people, but you have to want to believe in that justification in the first place.  I see holes.  That doesn't make me blind, it means I look differently.  Not less.  differently.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
some might argue corectly...
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
some might argue corectly...

Some might not.  My concern here is which viewpoint per-ce has the most impact on those who would argue differently to it. That's why I support both choice and the use of neutral scientific evidence alone in determining the choices we make available.

EDIT;
This is, to be fair, a classic circular & unresolvable argument.  Both Goober and I are probably aware enough to understand our relative positions & motivations for them, but there's still a sort of inherent urge to dance-the-dance of elucidating them to everyone else who reads the thread.  I suppose if either of us had the power to enact upon those positions, it might be an entirely different debate, but who knows?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 08:08:49 pm by aldo_14 »

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
Goober spoke from his personal experiences, so I spoke from observations of my own. >..>
Sorry if that offends, I'm just being honest.

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
God eh? >..>
yes

If god loves us all and wants us all to be in heaven, then why don't we all go straight to heaven?
do research on the purpose of earth.  i.e. read Genesis.  God originally created humans on earth, not in heaven...
We have to make our own choice in order to follow him hmm?
exactly. Humans were created with free will. which is why adam and even originally made their own (bad) choice. again, read Genesis
Is he not omnipresent, all powerfull, and all knowing?
yes he is
Can he not create a way for all mankind to both have freedom of choice and go to heaven?
again, humans have to make their decisions. do things right, or do them wrong, it's their perogative
I mean we're talking about a being beyond our comprehension here, can do anything he wants in an instant.
mhmm
Why can't he just instantaneously create a way for us to choose of our own will and go straight to heaven?
do you realize what you just said? "create a way for us to choose our own will"... that doesn't define "free will" lol...we're already able to choose our own will
I mean everyone too. Every last human on earth. All in heaven. Why not?
free will
If not, then he is not all powerfull is he.
if i say i don't want to beat your ass. does that mean i can't beat your ass?  no it doesn't...
If not, he is not all generous is he .
generosity doesn't mean you give everything to undeserving people. it means you're WILLING to give. doesn't mean you shoot out freebies to everyone and everything
If not, he is not so compassionate after all is he.
compassionate, as in, He understands human imperfection. which is why the door's open. again it comes down to how hard an individual is willing to change his/her life
If not, maybe, just maybe he doesn't exist in the form as the bible perceives him to be, as all powerfull and all knowing, and loving.
you're free to believe whatever you want. :)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I've never understood why an omnipotent, omnipresent being would feel a need to be worshipped.  Not like he/she/it is likely to be insecure, after all.

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
respect?

if you designed something that was unheard of, wouldn't you want respect to be given to you as the designer/creator?

now imagine that you are the all powerful being of the universe, and you created life. takes it to a whole new scale

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
respect?

if you designed something that was unheard of, wouldn't you want respect to be given to you as the designer/creator?

now imagine that you are the all powerful being of the universe, and you created life. takes it to a whole new scale

So god has an omni-ego to go along with his omnipotence, omniscience and omni-presence?
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
Heh heh, this is just the textbook Hegelian tragedy, isn't it? God creates humanity for the purpose of receiving humanity's recognition, making God the recognized consciousness and humans the recognizing consciousness. Thus, God is apparently the master, and humanity the slave. But the relationship is self-defeating, as God is inevitably dependent on our recognition-- recognition that would end the moment we elected to engage in the life-and-death struggle to become truly self-conscious ourselves. But then neither wins in that struggle, since either we kill God or God kills us, negating the victor's prospect of recognition. I guess in this case, either God creates another humanity and begins the process again, or we create another God.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 04:11:57 pm by Ford Prefect »
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
respect?

Why would God feel such a need?  I mean, you're applying natural human characteristics (quite possibly created due to certain evolutionary pressure that made 'respect' an important part of mating competition and thus the desire to gain it a key sexually selected advantage) to what is a fundamentally supernatural and alien 'thing'.  i mean, my - human - desire for respect is part of the complex machinations of the human psyche, not something that's an inherent rule of the universe.  and it was, that'd only be the observable i.e. natural universe.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
God is already participating in a relationship that meets all his needs, from eternity past to eternity future.  The Father loves the Son, the Son loves the Father, and the Spirit facilitates the relationship.  God doesn't need anything else.  In fact, created beings aren't capable of fully participating in an infinite relationship anyway, so it's not like creating us made any difference.

One way of looking at worship is that God thought to himself (without a trace of arrogance), "I'm so cool, I want to share this coolness with everybody."  So worship is God trying to get us to understand how cool he is.  It's for our own good; if we don't worship him, we're missing out.

Another view is that worship is God's due, simply by virtue of what and who he is.  Imagine if a runner competes in the Olympics and comes in first place, only to be told, "Okay, that's it, good tournament, time to go home."  That's not fair - the gold medal is his rightful due.  He earned it.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
So either way, God created a universe that required him being worshipped to be 'complete', despite God not actually having pressing need to be worshipped due to the whole ominipotent supreme being thing.

Y'see, this is the main reason I'm an aetheist.  It's makes absolutely bugger all sense to my fragile little human psyche.

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
That paradox is very telling about the nature of god as a product of the human being. Atheists commonly assume that god is simply a story that we consciously invented either to explain natural phenomena or to provide a basis for normative ethics, neither of which even skims the surface of how deeply-rooted this paradigm is in human thought. There is something about the process of human cognition that makes it fundamentally impossible for us to perceive the world outside the context of this idea of larger consciousness.

I posted an article from the Globe about this a while ago. (Don't know if anyone read it, though.)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 08:15:33 pm by Ford Prefect »
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
That paradox is very telling about the nature of god as a product of the human being. Atheists commonly assume that god is simply a story that we consciously invented either to explain natural phenomena or to provide a basis for normative ethics, neither of which even skims the surface of how deeply-rooted this paradigm is in human thought. There is something about the process of human cognition that makes it fundamentally impossible for us to perceive the world outside the context of this idea of larger consciousness.

I posted an article from the Globe about this a while ago. (Don't know if anyone read it, though.)

I remember it, yeah.  But I think there's a lot of seemingly abstract human psychological traits than can arguably be tracked back to an evolutionary advantage which was later propagated by society.

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Why would God feel such a need?  I mean, you're applying natural human characteristics (quite possibly created due to certain evolutionary pressure that made 'respect' an important part of mating competition and thus the desire to gain it a key sexually selected advantage) to what is a fundamentally supernatural and alien 'thing'.  i mean, my - human - desire for respect is part of the complex machinations of the human psyche, not something that's an inherent rule of the universe.  and it was, that'd only be the observable i.e. natural universe.

Genesis 1:27 == "And God proceeded to create the man in his image, in God’s image he created him; male and female he created them. "

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Genesis 1:27 == "And God proceeded to create the man in his image, in God’s image he created him; male and female he created them. "

Aside from the whole questionability of Genesis, that doesn't really relate to psyche, does it?

Because, God is by nature (AFAIK) infallible, so any flaws in the human psyche and human nature would imply that we are different and hence has different thought processes (if you can apply the idea of thought to a concept such as a divine omnipotence).  Otherwise you'd expect God to be as subject to jealousy, thoughtless and pointless anger, insecurity, etc as humans manifestly are.  The only alternative is to assume Gods psyche - or the equivalent - to be humanly flawed, which to me would seem to run contrary to the theology.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
What's a stem cell? :nervous:

:p

Israel is heresy

the messiah was supposed to lead them back to the holy land, and the only people doing any leading around there are butchers and overall very bad people

To wha-ba-hu1? Did you mean "Israel is heretical"?

Regardless, what is the basis for your second statement? I'm not contesting it, I just want to clarify it before I address it. :)

1 A cookie to whoever gets the reference. ;)

SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Aside from the whole questionability of Genesis, that doesn't really relate to psyche, does it?

Because, God is by nature (AFAIK) infallible, so any flaws in the human psyche and human nature would imply that we are different and hence has different thought processes (if you can apply the idea of thought to a concept such as a divine omnipotence).  Otherwise you'd expect God to be as subject to jealousy, thoughtless and pointless anger, insecurity, etc as humans manifestly are.  The only alternative is to assume Gods psyche - or the equivalent - to be humanly flawed, which to me would seem to run contrary to the theology.

if you're going to be arguing about God's characteristics, then please tell me you're going to acknowledge the Bible as being true... otherwise we can't really have this discussion ;)

That's assuming that demanding respect for something you created is a vice... since when?  If you developed a cure for AIDS, would you want people to look up to you and respect you? would you be wrong for doing so?

now imagine if you created the universe, the earth, and humankind. 

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
That's assuming that demanding respect for something you created is a vice... since when?  If you developed a cure for AIDS, would you want people to look up to you and respect you? would you be wrong for doing so?

Given the pattern God goes by? Yes.

With God's pattern, I would create the cure for AIDs. Then I would leave it lying around someplace. Rather than claiming credit, and preventing others from doing so,  I would allow dozens of other people to claim credit, then publish a book that states that I did it. This published book would also contain a number of other statements that directly contradict many other pieces of evidence known to man. Not only that, but I would also totally disappear from civillization and leave behind no evidence of my existence - other than aforementioned AIDs cure.

Finally (and this is my favorite part): For those that chose (against all odds) to respect and credit me with the AIDS cure, I would give a panacea. For those who thought anything else, I would give their address to a serial killer, who would then brutally rape and torture each and every one of them.
-C

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
if you're going to be arguing about God's characteristics, then please tell me you're going to acknowledge the Bible as being true... otherwise we can't really have this discussion
I disagree. If one is going to challenge the plausibility of characteristics attributed to god, then all supposed accounts of the nature of god, including the Bible, must be fair game.