Author Topic: RELEASE - MediaVP 3.6.8 Zeta  (Read 191249 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: DUDE - MediaVP 3.6.8 Zeta
The new patches are going up now.  I think I got everything this time, though I haven't actually tried them myself.  If any problems are noticed then let me know.  Although you don't need to remove the previous VP patches for these to work, it would be a good idea to do so.  I changed the filenames this time to make it easier to distinguish the patches from the normal VPs (for easy deletion later).

So, we have: many fixed animated glowmaps (I don't think I've got them all, but I converted what I have), the fixed hi-poly missiles (with IBX files), a tbm to use LOD0 for the hi-poly bombs in the hud targetbox, the yellow_glow bitmap in both data/effects and data/maps, the fixed Satis model from StratComm (with IBX file), and the same old alpha fixes from before.

Oh, and as a neat bonus, I included Vasudan Admiral's new thruster glows.  I really like them so I figured others might as well. :)

http://fs2source.warpcore.org/mediavp/mp-710_adveffects.rar
http://fs2source.warpcore.org/mediavp/mp-710_effects.rar
http://fs2source.warpcore.org/mediavp/mp-710_models.rar

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Something was done to the Satis? Was it the turret, because IIRC that was fixed moooonths ago. :confused:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
The debris was screwed up, it rotated wildly on the wrong axis.

Offline neoterran

The new patches are going up now.  I think I got everything this time, though I haven't actually tried them myself.  If any problems are noticed then let me know.  Although you don't need to remove the previous VP patches for these to work, it would be a good idea to do so.  I changed the filenames this time to make it easier to distinguish the patches from the normal VPs (for easy deletion later).

So, we have: many fixed animated glowmaps (I don't think I've got them all, but I converted what I have), the fixed hi-poly missiles (with IBX files), a tbm to use LOD0 for the hi-poly bombs in the hud targetbox, the yellow_glow bitmap in both data/effects and data/maps, the fixed Satis model from StratComm (with IBX file), and the same old alpha fixes from before.

Oh, and as a neat bonus, I included Vasudan Admiral's new thruster glows.  I really like them so I figured others might as well. :)

Can we use these with your VPs, Taylor ?  ;)
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Can we use these with your VPs, Taylor ?  ;)
You don't need them with mine. :D

Though, you might want to update mv_effects_t, mv_models_t, and mv_textures_t to get all of the current changes/fixes ... if you remember where to get them that is.  :drevil:

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
The debris was screwed up, it rotated wildly on the wrong axis.

Ah. Wasnt aware of that. Cool, then.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
To clarify, do these also contain the updates found in the RC# patch vps? ('m going through a clean up in an attempt to understand the media_vp's and how much is redundantly present after making a few realizations.)
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Yes, these would replace the RC# patch VPs.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis

+ The new animated eff glowmaps are as fast as older ani versions at least with 3.6.9. RC5 (Is it an SCP bug?).

+ If I haven't missed any one, you've converted all anis but the less detail ones (c version) and these ones: Capiltal02-01a, capital02-01b, cruiser03-03a and cruiser03x-01a. (I would upload them but capital02-01a is bigger than 1 Mb).

(I think converting c version anis is pointless.)

IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
yeah i have that problem to, just with the flak though.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
+ The new animated eff glowmaps are as fast as older ani versions at least with 3.6.9. RC5 (Is it an SCP bug?).
The new EFFs are fixed timings, since the ANI versions would play in a fraction of a second with the new code.  But there is a code bug which makes some maps play faster than they should.  I have a fix for this but Goober and I are going back and forth over how to properly deal with it.  The data is fixed though, so we should be good to go there when the fixed code becomes available.

+ If I haven't missed any one, you've converted all anis but the less detail ones (c version) and these ones: Capiltal02-01a, capital02-01b, cruiser03-03a and cruiser03x-01a. (I would upload them but capital02-01a is bigger than 1 Mb).
The EFFs came out of my own VP set, and I don't use some that are in the official VPs.  Mainly, I'll never use the c versions, and I really only like animations on the Shivan vessels.  If it turns out that the new official MediaVPs are going to be delayed a lot longer then I'll convert the extra animations to also be fixed, but I don't plan on doing that at this moment.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Quote from: Admiral Nelson
The missions supplied with the MediaVps still use the memory guzzling duplicate model texture replacement method, as the "normal" type was not functioning when I made the nameplates.  Since the "normal" method is now fixed, I've edited the missions to use it instead of duplicate model.  These missions should replace those in the MediaVPs:

w00t! These seem to work out better than the MediaVP one's. But I did so far notice a few anomolies.

"Rebels and Renegades" (loop1-1.fs2):
In the briefing animation "Beta" (as it's identified by they briefing text) is labled "Theta". "Theta" as a wing doesn't show up until next mission.

"As Lightning Fall" (loop2-1.fs2):
Firstly, shouldn't that be "Falls"? Secondly all "+Flag:" lines have "+Respawn priority:" on the same line followed by a blank. By the layout of all other files, "+Respawn priority:" should be on that blank line.

In SM1-03.fs22 "The Romans Blunder" (and a few others) you have #Alternative Types" that declare NTF, NTC & NTFR vessels (Instead of GTF, GTC, GTCR), but this isn't carried over in SM2-04.fs2 "The Kings Gambit". Further, in SM2-04.fs2 the Uhuru, Pax, Liberty and Undaunted (as well as their attendant wings) are all flagged as "$Team: Neutral", shouldn't that be "$Team: Hostile"?

As well, consistancy in $f and $h tag's are inconsistant in many of the briefings.

So far that's as far as I've gotten in only an hour or so and I was wondering if (inspite of these existing in the original files) wether or not this were things that could/should be fixed? If so, I've already made copies of the changes and can provide them, but I'd like to have some feedback before I go through the remaining 22 files.

Also, as a side note, I was wondering if anyone else was tackling the originals additional mission files, the MDH-##, Templar.fc2 (and it's .fs2's) and the Gauntlet files (regular and co-op). If not, I'd love having something to do, even if it is as small as this. (though I suspect it's not nearly so small as I think it will be to accomplish, just small in it's overall impact).
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
"As Lightning Fall" (loop2-1.fs2):
Firstly, shouldn't that be "Falls"? Secondly all "+Flag:" lines have "+Respawn priority:" on the same line followed by a blank. By the layout of all other files, "+Respawn priority:" should be on that blank line.

Probably not a problem. FS2 won't care about the mistake most likely. If you've changed it and it works then that's fine but don't feel the need to change it :)

Further, in SM2-04.fs2 the Uhuru, Pax, Liberty and Undaunted (as well as their attendant wings) are all flagged as "$Team: Neutral", shouldn't that be "$Team: Hostile"?

Nope. NTF (and HOL) ships are always flagged as neutral to denote the fact that they won't attack Shivan craft. Flagging them as Hostile wouldn't have made a difference to this mission but it would be an unnecessary change in this case and could actually screw up missions which involve the NTF and Shivans.

So far that's as far as I've gotten in only an hour or so and I was wondering if (inspite of these existing in the original files) wether or not this were things that could/should be fixed? If so, I've already made copies of the changes and can provide them, but I'd like to have some feedback before I go through the remaining 22 files.

Feel free to keep asking questions. I'll answer those I can :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Ahhhh. Logic insited there be a reason for "Neutral". Thank you.

So far, aye, it doesn't seem to care one way or the other about +Respawn.

So, how many hopefulls end up facing how many dead-ends? :) Still pluging away though. "Discouraged" is a word I have to look up, it's not in my vocabulary. :)

Also, regarding the 20060710 mvpatches.......I did 2 different ways both with the same results. One was original 3.6.8z's with the updates in the mediavp's folder, the other was merging the data from the updates into the vp's.

GTFR Triton and GTC Aeolus still reflect _very_ heavily. (saran wrap skins)
SB Nephilim, Seraphim, ST Azrael, SFR Mephisto, SFR Asmodeus all still blink their red texture fast....in the case of the Azrael it's REALLY fast, but the SFR Dis, SC5 and SAC 5 have no animation (don't know if they're supposed to or not)

Cannot view either the SC Lilith or SC Cain in F3 or Tech Room.....system locks hard. Audio still loops like it should, caps lock and num-lock still do thier thing but the system is un-responsive to anything but a reset button.

All but the following missiles still spin on thier arse instead of center in Loadout: Hornet, Cyclops. The Harpoon, Trebuchet and Stiletto II now spin around their noses.

In loop2-1.fs2 (As Lightning Fall) the Pharos are now invisible. Completely. Can't even run into them. During jumps in the nebula missions, the players ship seems semi-transparent up until it almost completes it's jump out.

Other than that, the amount of newer and subtle details by comparision is frikken fantastic.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 07:10:23 am by Zacam »

¤[D+¬>

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Uh, hi there! Hope this is in the right place. I think the Orion has a tri mistextured. Observe:
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
I've looked it up in Lith. There is a map called "installation" in the material list. That's the map, we can see in the picture. So it's confirmed.

It would be a real pain for me to fix it without a MAX or 3DS file...

If you got PCS, try this:
Open the model. Look up the maps. Search for the "installation" map and rename it to ... hmm I think "capital01a" or "capital02a". If the UV mapping is correct for this triangle, everything should be fine.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline ShivanSpS

Taylor, you can tell me what files in the Adveffect correspond to the dabrain super high shockwaves I think i can play which adveffect, but those shockwaves give me insane slowdowns

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
effects\: f_shockwave.tga, shockwave3d-glow.eff & shockwave3d-glow_*.dds
Total files: 162

models\: shockwave.pof

tables\: mv_shockwave-shp.tbm & mv_shockwave-wep.tbm

And yeah, I realize I'm not taylor, but since I did it myself and you asked, I figured I'd share. :)

¤[D+¬>

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I've looked it up in Lith. There is a map called "installation" in the material list. That's the map, we can see in the picture. So it's confirmed.

It would be a real pain for me to fix it without a MAX or 3DS file...

If you got PCS, try this:
Open the model. Look up the maps. Search for the "installation" map and rename it to ... hmm I think "capital01a" or "capital02a". If the UV mapping is correct for this triangle, everything should be fine.

Don't do that.  It wouldn't fix the problem, and it would also destroy the texture variation that Galemp put into the model as he put that capital tile in there to break up the limited orion texture pallete.  It's a problem with the model file itself and fixing it in anything other than MAX isn't really an option.  I'll see if there isn't a quick fix for it on my end though.

EDIT: I've got a fix but nowhere to put it.  The texture anomoly isn't a big deal, but if another compilation's getting made then it can go in.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 01:01:08 pm by StratComm »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Kaboodles

• Kill the meat. Save the metal.
Are there any external mirrors for these files?  I can\'t seem to download anything off hard-light