Author Topic: Specular..whatever .. ruin the atmosphere....  (Read 19484 times)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Re: Specular..whatever .. ruin the atmosphere....
Well, try with the following command line parameters:

-ambient_factor 75 -spec_exp 1.0 -spec_tube 1.0 -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 0.8 -allslev

Tried this...no effect. It's still WAY too bright. Each ship looks like it has 20 reflectors pointed at it from all angles.

b.t.w. - did anyone notice that most HTL fighters are missing INSIGNIAS????

Could you please post screenshots? For all we know you have some sort of error. Also tweak the settings yourself, turn it down a bit.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Idk waht's up with specular, if you have a lightsource, it's going to reflect, and quite frankly, if you have ship with a suns light reflecting off of it, you will see it for miles on end, just like you do see planets on miles on end with a sun. But, idk, maybe for ****s and giggles it would be better if this was a bug to be fixed, idk, light sources work fine for me with the standard recommended flag settings
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Nuclear1

I've never had a problem with specular, and I run it with essentially the same numbers that Mars does (the ambient level's been lowered to 68 in mine, though).

Still, screenshots FTW.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR
turn the ambient factor down.

I tried with 20.

also, i think that insignias have been borked for a looooooong time now...

Which is terrible. I pay a lot of attention to details and each and every terran or vasudan wing in my campaign belongs to a squadron and has insignias..and every ship is nameplated.
and now half of the detail is gone... AGONY..... :(
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Dramaqueen. :rolleyes:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
well, it does suck that they're missing. How difficult is it to add those things anyway? It looks like PCS allows you to do it directly without any modeling program.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Trashman. The simple fact is that not that many modders bother with Insignias. Based on your ships I know you do. Why not simply ask for the files and add the insignias yourself?

It's not like anyone is against having insignias or anything.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Trashman. The simple fact is that not that many modders bother with Insignias. Based on your ships I know you do. Why not simply ask for the files and add the insignias yourself?

It's not like anyone is against having insignias or anything.

I allready imported insignia data from old [V] models into the new ones.. Didn't work entrely, since the new models are slightly different. the insignias are half-visible now..

How hard is to manuly just move the insignias (jsut their X values) a bit? I never done it so I'm not even sure what field I should be checking...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Insignia aren't hard to do. It just takes a bit of time and effort to get all the points in the right places. Flat surfaces make them much easier too.

Trying to use the original insignia on the new models, even with adjustments, is likely to turn out quite messy. If you still want to try, in PCS you can change the offset to move the whole thing or you can adjust the individual vertices. The vertex coordinates are all relative to the offset. If you change the vertices much, you'll probably need to adjust the uv coordinates for the relevant faces as well.

Out of interest, does anyone have any comments about the insignia I did for the htl Pegasus?

Offline sfried

With regards to lighting, try -ambient_factor 18.5 spec_exp 18 -spec_point 0.8 -spec_static 0.8 -spec_tube 0.6 .Resembles classice Freespace 2 atmosphere, but misses some of the fancy lighting (meaning Fenrirs don't light up like Christmas trees when shot at).

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Well, this is with the average flag settings except the lighting for the laser and the beams was jacked up to max. Because quite frankly, you would be lit up like a christmas tree if you were blasted in the dark with a huge bright ass beam that had a color to it.
Though this is a deimos getting lit up, and not a fenris, good example anyway

Wintergreen :D
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Why not just change the sttings to your own pref? :confused:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Well, this is with the average flag settings except the lighting for the laser and the beams was jacked up to max.

How do you increase the beam/laser lighting? Is there a command line option for that, or does it involve table hackery-pockery?
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline sfried

Well, this is with the average flag settings except the lighting for the laser and the beams was jacked up to max.

How do you increase the beam/laser lighting? Is there a command line option for that, or does it involve table hackery-pockery?

Isn't that spec_tube ?

Oh, and S-99, what is the maxed out value you used (default is 1.0, which can be adjusted lower. But what's the highest value you've inputed)? And is that some bloom I'm seeing?

Heck, just post the entire command line.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
exactly spec_tube should be 1.0, and spec_point which i think is for the lasers should also be 1.0. And then you'll have that.
It's really cool, because there's a ship in the dark, and it gives itself away when it fires or is fired on.

SMBFD

Offline sfried

exactly spec_tube should be 1.0, and spec_point which i think is for the lasers should also be 1.0. And then you'll have that.
It's really cool, because there's a ship in the dark, and it gives itself away when it fires or is fired on.
You get bloom effects at spec_tube and spec_point 1.0?

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Lol, no, i was using hdrish for the bloom, but without hdrish, umm, things will still look like a christmas tree. This picture was my only good example.

SMBFD

Is it just me or do beams not cast light on the ship that fires them?  Using these settings improves battles a great deal, but I don't get any light applied to beam-firing ships, either AAA or regular.  I'm not sure the impacts cast light either.  Any ideas?

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Use OpenGL instead of D3D, and dynamic lighting will look much better.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline sfried

Lol, no, i was using hdrish for the bloom, but without hdrish, umm, things will still look like a christmas tree. This picture was my only good example.
Where do I get tthis hdrish mod?