Author Topic: Anyone notice how beam weapons in Inferno are just a tiny bit Over-powered?  (Read 23728 times)

Anyone notice how beam weapons in Inferno are just a tiny bit Over-powered?
Huh? Inthe first mission, the Carolina wiped the enemy cruisers in 1 hit. in all my fights where the Independance is with me, the Independance has gotten to 6% health within 1 minute of the sortie before I can take out the enemy ship's beam weapons. In the 4th or 5th mission (depends how u look at it) Where the Independance+SoC command Ship attack the Kismat and Diablo, one shot from the Diablo main beam took 50% of the Independance health, before I took out the beam cannon. in Regular FS2, I could survive even Sathanis beam shots for a few seconds, maybe 4 or 5, enoguh time to get out of the way. In Inferno, a cruiser beam kills me in less than a second. Whats the deal with beams?
Just don't give away the homeworld...

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Re: Anyone notice how beam weapons in Inferno are just a tiny bit Over-powered?
Weapons technology advancement has outstripped armour technology advancement. Simple as that. :rolleyes:

Weapons technology advancement has outstripped armour technology advancement. Simple as that. :rolleyes:
But then why has EA beam tech also risen? And Shivan beam tech. They were 3 different civilizations who had bo contact with each other, meaning the development scale of each couldnt have been same as the GTVA. the EA had a lot less resources than the GTVA, yet their weapons are on par wit em. The Shivans are a older race, much older. How come their weapons are on par with the EA? I know, beam wpn tech got stolen from the Shivans in the Great War, but if the EA had Great-War era wpns, how did they develop weapons on par with the GTVA? The only thing I have seen that Earth has and the GTVA doesnt is a high population and Prometheus-S Cannons....
Just don't give away the homeworld...

Offline neoterran

Here's a better answer, because the author of Inferno made them too powerful.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
the EA had a lot less resources than the GTVA, yet their weapons are on par wit em.
The GTVA also has to reconstruct their civilisation twice after each Shivan encounter were Sol only had to recover from the loss of contact with other GTA systems. The Terran and Martian forces also managed to examine some Shivan technology that survived the explosion of the Lucifer.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Meh beams werent stolen during the great war............The GTA found them on Aincent sites i was under the impression from command briefs mentioning classified aincent sites. Plus we had a major dicussion here years back on that subject right?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
There's no evidence at that at all. The Ancients were supposed to be on the same level of technology as the GTA when the Shivans attacked. If they were then they did not have beam weapons.
Since beams can pierce shields in the game, the Ancients would of been able to destroy the Lucifer with beam weapons.

This was the reason our redesigned fleet has fewer beam weapons per ship. The GTVA Terrans and EA have the least, followed by the Vasudans, and the Shivans have the most. However the Terrans and EA also have the best secondary anti-cap weapons to compensate. The Shivans are completely reliant on their beams and bombers to kill enemy warships. Vasudans occupy the middle ground, having a good range of weapons in all classes to get the job done. In relative terms the Terran and Vasudan beam weapons are pretty crude compared to the Shivans' - that's why they have fewer weapons per ship and much higher recharge times.

ATM the Terrans use heavy plasma cannons and a variety of torpedoes - some with SSM capabilities - as secondary armament. The EA use high-powered railguns to blast through enemy armour, and are the most destructive secondary armament either species has. This is so because of a much longer development cycle... you'll see them in Woo's Sol mod. Vasudans have neutron guns for medium range engagements, and their anti-fighter fusion guns can also be used at shorter ranges. The Shivans only have massive kinetic pulses to keep enemy warships away from theirs, so they can use their many beams instead - this still needs a bit of balancing yet though. :p

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Cool! can't wait to see some of these in action and its nice to see  that the races cept the shivans arent dependant on beams get the job done
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
But some explosions aren't so realistic at all...
Both the GTVA Rapid Laser and the Shocker create shockwaves...both stop the enemy fighter.
When an Arcas is attacked,you see the enemy fighters and bombers being stopped by the Rapis Lasers.
Those lasers are tiny.Did someone planned to fix this in other releases?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Stopping a fighter is what the rapid laser is supposed to do.

Both weapons don't exist anymore anyway.

Offline Harbinger of DOOM

• Three fries short of a Happy Meal.
Heh. I despised those darn rapid lasers in the arcas assault mission.
Annoying things kept pushing me back. Curse you recoil!!!! :D
aldo_14 ~ "The ego has landed."
an0n ~ "Wheee, I can spam and no-one will notice!"

Rapid lasers weren't that tough to beat. Simply fire a Stiletto one way, then fire a bomb the other. Fools 'em every time.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

If you thought rapid lasers were bad you're going to utterly despise some of our new capital ship anti-fighter weapons.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Heh especially the Lucifer ones :D

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Stopping a fighter is what the rapid laser is supposed to do.

Both weapons don't exist anymore anyway.

If you thought rapid lasers were bad you're going to utterly despise some of our new capital ship anti-fighter weapons.

It this an R2 spoiler?If those weapons doesn't exist anymore,what will take their place?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
There's at least 5 different types of anti-fighter weapons for GTVA-Terran ships.

Offline Harbinger of DOOM

• Three fries short of a Happy Meal.
Is there any way to take away the shockwaves from the rapid laser and stuff?
It causes my comp to lag..... a lot.
aldo_14 ~ "The ego has landed."
an0n ~ "Wheee, I can spam and no-one will notice!"

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
The rapid laser doesn't create a shockwave. It creates an impact explosion using 'ExpMissileHit1' which is a stock FS2 effect so it shouldn't cause an performance issues unless your using a high res version in the media vps that your system can't handle.

Lucifer ones?  :eek2: