Author Topic: Anyone notice how beam weapons in Inferno are just a tiny bit Over-powered?  (Read 23758 times)

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Re: Anyone notice how beam weapons in Inferno are just a tiny bit Over-powered?
Hey,Woo:why the Dallie is "ATT" now?
Either it was a typo, or it means something like 'Tactical Transport'

Offline Snail

• SC 5
But if the Terrans did create flak guns, why were they not used in the V-T war?

Terrans created them after the T-V War, but before the Second Shivan Incursion, perhaps?  :rolleyes:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Countering the fact that there are REAL flak guns.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I just find it a little strange that Terrans (the Vasudans were with the Terrans at the time, so thats understandable) and Shivans have exactly the same type of flak gun, and they're not really the type to steal technology (unless you count the Kahlan).

unless you count the Kahlan.

Which isn't a canon ship, I'll point out.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Hey,Woo:why the Dallie is "ATT" now?
Either it was a typo, or it means something like 'Tactical Transport'

Heh heh,I have a 5 months old dog,Dalia,and I nicknamed her "Dallie".

But if the Terrans did create flak guns, why were they not used in the V-T war?

I mean that it isn't a V invention but an adapting of a 40's weaponry to a space combat environment instead.

Tha Kahlan isn't canon....
I don't know why in Inferno the Shivans have developed new techs,the should use the same ships for thousands of years.

Also, when it said "A Moloch jumped in" instead of "A new Shivan warship of corvette size jumped in" was undoubtedly because the Alliance encountered some the Molochs early in the Nebula campaign before Alpha 1 encountered one in that mission.

Also, I assume that the Shivans have had beam and Flak cannons for thousands of years before the Great War but they didn't have them in FS1 because they only sent their scouting force (The Great War Shivans) against the GTA and PVN and were assuming that they would be enough to deter any threat, be it a Shivan force with or without beam weaponry. Also, they had the Lucifer with beams and I'm sure Volition could have put them on every Shivan cap ship (Ever played the FS1 campaign Black Horizon?) Also, they didn't for balance reasons but story-wise, it was because the Shivans were confident that the Lucifer with beams and a shield and other Shivan warships without flak or beam weaponry would be sufficient to destroy the Terrans and Vasudans. But Volition could have put beam weapons on every Shivan cap ship and had the Alliance steal their beam technology.

About the Moloch,it should be exact what you said.But originally only the Lucifer was supposed to bombard the planets,scouting force or not the Shivans were supposed to have them in the Great War,no matter of what we see in FS1.

Except for Sol:A History,I didn't know other fonts where the beam cannon research was based only on the Lucifer flux cannons.
Anyone remember the Taranis?I know it was destroyed too early,but maybe someone had sufficient time to gather important datas and safe them from the Shivan rage.the Lucifer was also scanned,but it's beams are much different that the ones developed by the GTVA in the post Great War period.

If the beam technology was stolen from the Lucifer,how do you explain that Shivan beams in FS" are much better than their T-V counterparts?Just a different energy reactor?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Imagine the Gargant fighting against these tiny little flies called Typhons and Orions :lol:.

Methinks the Gargant wouldn't be all that effective. I mean, unless it is literally bristling with beams, it must have some really MASSIVE blind spots. Sure, you can't destroy it, but you have become an unscratchable itch on the Gargant's back.  :lol:

Of course this is rather narrow-minded. Whoever said the Gargant was designed to combat other ships? It has a subspace weapon of some sort.... maybe it is designed for planetary attack (like the Vinashaak)?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
You seen the render of the Gargant wiping out an Odin, a Phobos and some EA ships with its aft turrets alone ;7.

No I hadn't seen that render. But who said that one of my blind spots was the aft of the ship?
Where is the render located?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
In Inferno R1. Dissect the VP and look for the shot called CrIm09.pcx

Unstoppable, huh?

Ah, but my comp doesn't know what to do with .PCX's. I don't know which program to open them with.  :D

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Okay, then, attached :)

Now that that's out of the way: Unstoppable!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

:jaw:

I.......WANT......THAT.....SHIP!

Talk about overpowered Inferno weps.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
SSJ Gargant,not SH.
Once and for all,can you tell us what is "H" for in SH?Is it Hive?
Woo's image is more detallied.

Those beams weren't the main ones I think...main cannons are put <i don't know how do you call it> like in the Sathanas,right?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
I didn't name the image :D

The image isn't accurate for weapon placement.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Ha hem how about the H in SH?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
SH = Shivan Hive. :rolleyes:

There are no forward beams, only a SubSpace weapon (yeah, I know it's weird).