Author Topic: Team Fortress 2, it lives! (now with trailery goodness)  (Read 5993 times)

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Team Fortress 2, it lives! (now with trailery goodness)
OK, some great and yet slighty wierd news out of Valve this week. Team Fortress 2, a serious contender for the Vaporware Champion is...on it's way. Apparently, it will be released along with Half-Life 2: Episode 2, which should be available in (very roughly) six months or so.

And now the wierd bit. It's not going to be a gritty war-themed squad shooter. or anything like that Instead, they've chosen to take it in a shall we say bold direction. Apparently, the theme is something along the lines of cell-shaded 60's spy thing, ala Austin Powers or the NOLF games.

Not only am I surprised that the game is actually being developed, but I am now doubly surprised at the unconventional theme of the game, though I applaud their initiative and hopefully it works out for the best.

Here's the press release, which also announces another, previously unknown game/mod/whatever, and plans to port all the HL2 content to the 360 and PS3.

Valve, developer of the blockbuster series Half-Life and Counter-Strike, unveiled Team Fortress 2 and Portal, two new games to be included in its next release, Half-Life 2: Episode Two. In addition, the studio announced its plans to deliver these products, plus enhanced versions of Half-Life 2 and Episode One, in one tremendous package for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

"By evolving our development process to an episodic approach, we're able to reduce risk from things such as schedule and funding and invest more in new types of gameplay," said Gabe Newell, president and co-founder of Valve. "This allows us to produce innovative titles such as Portal and Team Fortress 2 and deliver them in a timely fashion to customers along with Episode Two."

Episode Two advances the 16-million unit selling franchise, as Valve's trilogy of episodic single player releases continues the award-winning story of Half-Life 2. Armed with new weaponry and vehicles, Dr. Gordon Freeman must race through a countryside riddled with an increasingly fierce Combine threat.

Team Fortress 2, an all-new version of the title that spawned team based multiplayer action games, features the most advanced graphics of any Source-based game released to date. Players choose from a range of unique character classes such as medic, spy, sniper, or engineer and must work together to complete a variety of tactical objectives.

Portal is a new type of single player game that changes how players approach, manipulate, and surmise the possibilities in a given environment in a manner similar to how the Gravity Gun changed our approach to how an object may be leveraged in any given situation.

Team Fortress 2 and Portal will be included with all retail and Steam versions of Episode Two for the PC. In addition, these products plus Half-Life 2 and Episode One will be available in one tremendous offering for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. New videos from Episode Two, Portal, and Team Fortress 2 will be released next week.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 04:50:01 pm by Rictor »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: Team Fortress 2, it lives!
Hey, that's neat. Kudos to Valve. :)

Offline Roanoke

I take issue with valve trying to claim  the credit for CS  :wtf:

The CS I remember anyways.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
I have been waiting for this news for a long, long time.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
wow, totally new direction, kudos to them, it's a real turnaround from what we've all been seeing in the past.
from gritty war to sixties spy.. gotta love that  :yes:
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
oh god, the splash screen is terrible.  I was hoping it would be something like TFC: Source, but they ****ed this up.

Looks like Fortress Forever will be awesome then.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
*Hugs Valve*

Cheers Rictor Nice one..  I been waiting uber-years for this :D

(does a short jig oof happiness)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
What's wrong with the splash screen. Looks funny and let's face it TF is hardly serious.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Its all about the fun :D
GO SPY!!!!!!!!!!!
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I have been waiting for this news for a long, long time.

I've read the thread title and instantly knew you'd be here ;)

As for TF, I like the idea of a goofy cell-shaded shooter.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
I think Team Fortress blows. It's just a chaotic button-masher.
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Offline Nuclear1

Finally, something that I think we can both safely agree on.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
So are we having a HLP invitational TF2 bash then?

Offline Rictor

Finally, something that I think we can both safely agree on.

That may well be, but it's one of the only multiplayer games, shooter or otherwise, that has been able to keep my interest for any significant period of time. Not every game can be or should be Deus Ex or System Shock. Besides, have you actually played TFC? I would say that it's far from being a thoughtless button-masher, even though that's what is sometimes becomes (as do the vast majority of games once in a while.)

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
It's not chess by any means but a skilled player can still rack up a whole load of kills in some really amusing ways. Just thinking about it makes me miss TFC so much :(

Offline Rictor

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Re: Team Fortress 2, it lives! (now with trailery goodness)
Here's hoping for a better trailer.  :wtf: Thanks anyway.

Offline Falcon

I've never a Valve game before, but I just might play this... looks fun. :D

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Portal looks really neat, too... kinda like the portal feature of Prey combined with the HL2 Gravity Gun, all tossed into The Incredible Machine for good measure. :yes:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
I am going to have to consider buying HL2E2 now aren't I and allowing STEAM to infest my machine.  :ick: