Author Topic: Re: CVS Builds  (Read 63925 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
No it doesn't. Not always.

oh, i'm sorry, the first 14 times are supposed to work then?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
No it doesn't. Not always.

oh, i'm sorry, the first 14 times are supposed to work then?

If you haven't made a bug report, you're wasting your time. If you have made a bug report, then I hope you were more accurate with your description. Exaggeration and sarcasm are not helpful in fixing bugs.
-C

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
no, it wasn't exaggeration, i actually tried 14 times. ;)

anyway, i mantised this problem and the stuttering errors too.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 07:02:07 pm by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Ok i put in some extra error catching code for the background import.  Have fun.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline redmenace

Updated!
CVS as of 12/21/05
Some Important Comments:
  • Standard Build Updated
  • Optimized Build Updated
  • Inferno Build Updated
  • Optimized Inferno Updated
  • Standard FRED2 Updated
  • Optimized FRED2 Updated
  • Inferno FRED2 Updated
  • Optimized Inferno FRED2 Updated
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Background importing is working fine for me now. Whee

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Hmm. Well if I load FRED with no mods, I can import backgrounds from the base data/missions folder fine, but I can't load any from a mod folder that has no stars.tbl in it. And if I load FRED with that mod, I can load missions from that mod's mission folder but not from the base missions folder.

That sounds more like the cause. My tests would have included the media.vp Stars.tbl. I knew between us we could work it out :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Still no music for me :(

I hate this.....cant play the main campaign again without the music of Freespace. Sux...

And yes,  did remove the ogg files, tried swapping everything, including tables - no go :(

Edit: openal doesnt fix the problem either. is it supposed to download, execute and just say installation complete?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 08:37:15 am by Singh »
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
There is possible to implement the XWA weapons behavior ? I mean the laser are all focus on the reticule target and not be fired like Fs2 where all shots go straight away.

Possible bug:
Latest build, MVP368 beta

fs2_open_r-20051221.exe -spec -glow -jpgtga -mipmap -2d_poof -missile_lighting -ship_choice_3d -snd_preload -env -alpha_env -fps  -allslev -mod "D:\FreeSpace\SCP schoon\MVP368" -mod "D:\FreeSpace\SCP schoon\Homesick"

OGL, 1280*1024.
Windows XP Home
1GB DDR RAM
Radeon 9800 Pro
AMD 64 3000+ (2Ghz)

Aside from the mod commandline not working with relative paths, or not working at all, the textures behave oddly. In the Homesick campaign, in the first mission the Deimos was ok, the second it had some textures replaced by white, and in the third the previously white textures were covered in Vasudan maps. I wish I could provide screenies, but pressing prt-scrn in OGL only gave me a slight puase in gameplay, but I couldn't find any actual files in the freespace dir.

Also, the turquoise background in OGL is back. Want that in Mantis?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
fs2_open_r-20051221.exe -spec -glow -jpgtga -mipmap -2d_poof -missile_lighting -ship_choice_3d -snd_preload -env -alpha_env -fps  -allslev -mod "D:\FreeSpace\SCP schoon\MVP368" -mod "D:\FreeSpace\SCP schoon\Homesick"
First off, using absolute paths is naughty in the first place. Mods are only supposed to be relative to the current directory and that's how the code uses them.  Also you can't use two -mod options or it won't work correctly, only the last -mod will get used and any others will be ignored.

In the Homesick campaign, in the first mission the Deimos was ok, the second it had some textures replaced by white, and in the third the previously white textures were covered in Vasudan maps. I wish I could provide screenies, but pressing prt-scrn in OGL only gave me a slight puase in gameplay, but I couldn't find any actual files in the freespace dir.
More and more people keep complaining about the missing textures but I haven't seen it myself yet.  Please post a log from a debug version for me to look at.  Oh and OGL screenshots will go in the primary mod directory.  It was a good idea at the time but after WMCoolmon fixed the screenshots to not overwrite on every run of game I never bothered to fix the save directories.  I'll make it a point to do that before the day is over.

Also, the turquoise background in OGL is back. Want that in Mantis?
It's already in Mantis so don't worry about it.  I still haven't been able to figure out what the problem is and everything that I've tried has been useless.  Until I get ahold of a Radeon card to test with, or someone provides some extra insight into the problem, I'm just going to ignore it.

Still no music for me :(

Edit: openal doesnt fix the problem either. is it supposed to download, execute and just say installation complete?
That's all that the OpenAL installer should do.  OpenAL works great so what ever the problems are that everyone is having it's likely just a problem with our sound code.  The new code will get done soon enough though and you'll be able to use OpenAL or the old DirectSound code in the same build.  Any crashes or sound problems would likely be linked to a mix of Creative and NVIDIA (if you have a nForce motherboard) drivers but I know that not everyone with problems has an nForce board.

Just make sure that you have a "debug_filter.cfg" file (create an empty one if it doesn't exist already), run a debug build until it demonstrates all of the problems, and post the fs.log file for me to look at.

Relative paths did exactly bugger all as well.

I'll post debug spews later. BTW: The texture bug only happened on the second (or later) mission where a ship was viewed, AFAIK.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

I'll post debug spews later. BTW: The texture bug only happened on the second (or later) mission where a ship was viewed, AFAIK.
I suppose you don't need screenies if this is a known issue, then?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Well the problem is that absolute paths produce something like this: D:\FreeSpace\D:\FreeSpace\SCP schoon\MVP368.  The fact that it works at all is actually a code bug.  If you tried to do the same thing with the Linux or OS X versions then it wouldn't work at all since they don't use different drives that have to be filtered out.  If relative paths aren't working for some reason then post the fs.log from a debug version and we can see what the game is finding.

Nope, have had a look at enough of them already.  I still can't recreate the problem but I'm not using these builds either.  redmenace was going to clean out his code tree in case there was something wrong there.  So it may be something specific to these builds and not a general code problem.  That's what I'm waiting on really and if it turns out to not be the case then I'll get to work debugging.

Offline redmenace

The code base was cleaned out when I dicovered problems with the P4 Builds. The standard builds didn't have any issues IIRC.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline redmenace

Updated!
CVS as of 12/22/05
Some Important Comments:
  • Standard Build Updated
  • Optimized Build Updated
  • Inferno Build Updated
  • Optimized Inferno Updated
  • Standard FRED2 Updated
  • Optimized FRED2 Updated
  • Inferno FRED2 Updated
  • Optimized Inferno FRED2 Updated
              -Frederic Bastiat

The link to the 12/22/05 Standard build of FS2 is broken.  I didn't notice any others, though.

EDIT: Took a look at the filename.  The problem might be the missing hyphen in the link.  Also, the Optimized build (not Optimized Inferno, just Optimized) has the same missing hyphen, so it might also be broken.

And check your PM box, please.  Minor question, off-topic for this thread but related.

I'm really enjoying the builds.  Great work.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 09:00:49 pm by Moonsword »
$quot;Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.  And I'm not sure about the former.$quot;
 - Albert Einstein

$quot;It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.$quot;
- Gen. George Patton Jr.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i think somone broke the "show ship" flag
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Well the problem is that absolute paths produce something like this: D:\FreeSpace\D:\FreeSpace\SCP schoon\MVP368. The fact that it works at all is actually a code bug. If you tried to do the same thing with the Linux or OS X versions then it wouldn't work at all since they don't use different drives that have to be filtered out. If relative paths aren't working for some reason then post the fs.log from a debug version and we can see what the game is finding.

Nope, have had a look at enough of them already. I still can't recreate the problem but I'm not using these builds either. redmenace was going to clean out his code tree in case there was something wrong there. So it may be something specific to these builds and not a general code problem. That's what I'm waiting on really and if it turns out to not be the case then I'll get to work debugging.

Small problem: The campaign I'm playing (Homesick) broke the debug build, giving a crash in one of the missions. I'll play a bit of the standard campaign later today. I do have a debug log of the mod thingy, though. And I made a dirlist of everything in the FS dir. It's DOS, though, so I'm not too sure if the filenames are any good.

And is the Herc  model in the current MVP supposed to error in a debug build?

http://www.huiswerksite.nl/TempKasper/fsMODNotWorking.log
http://www.huiswerksite.nl/TempKasper/DirSCP.txt

And the main campaign also crashes. It gives an error in the first non training mission, when the hercs are supposed to jump in.
num!=..bitmaps and giving me the option to debug or quit. Debugging yields an invalid operation.

http://www.huiswerksite.nl/TempKasper/fs.log

EDIT: Oe thing I found out while playing Derelict, it only happens after at least 2 mission loads. It doesn't matter if you die and then re-try, only if you actually pass and go to the next mission. Also, it's not always after the secpond time of loading a ship, it appears to happen at random, but only after at least 2 mission laods. Also, being in the nebulae or not has no influence.

I also saw invisible textures on the Fenris, but that's probably a media bug.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 08:41:59 am by kasperl »