Author Topic: I need a few testers for the upcomming MediaVP  (Read 39558 times)

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Re: I need a few testers for the upcomming MediaVP
Anyway... I don't know what's wrong with the weapon effects... It just displays a wrong effect for some weapons.
I'd like to fix that before I upload the new version.

Any ideas?

Post some example or PM me and I will try to test it.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
I already fixed that with Wanderer's help.

Version 2 shouldn't have that problem anymore. ;)
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
@DaBrain:

I've discovered why some models have lost their glowpoints... You've remapped them to use just one texture and you missed to add them.

I don't know if this helps but, using Bobboau's Aurora, I've copied the glow points from the old pofs to the new ones. I've done this for Ulysses (fighter01.pof) and Loki (fighter13.pof) till now.

Unless you tell me this is useless because of anything, you've done it or there's another and EASIER way of doing it, I'll continue adding Glow Points to every ship I find without them.

(There's no missing textures, over the ones I PM you yesterday, about these glow points).

What I do is opening the old model, going to glow tab, saving the glow chunk, opening the new model (Assets v2), going to glow tab, loading the previously extracted glow chunk and saving the pof model.

[attachment deleted by admin]
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Hmm sounds like a bit work...

I didn't rename any glowpoint texture in the POFs. (And I don't think I've renamed the maps either.)

Maybe PCS killed the glowpoints. Maybe I used a wrong build... or something.

I'll 'investigate' this.

I'm still pretty happy that I didn't get that many error reports yet. The next version should good enough to be final.
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
The glow points are just erased. Go to GLOW Tab in PCS and you'll see that is fully empty for some models that HAD glow points in 3.6.8.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
I'm pretty sure that is related to PCS.

I got a new PC while I was working on the MV packs. Maybe I downloaded an older version of PCS. It's known to screw up the glowpoints.
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
I think that's modview actually. AFAIK, saving a pof in modview will erase the entire glowpoint chunk, and then on the other hand, PCS crashes every time I've tried to import the glowpoint chunk from another pof. :\
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
So, is there actually an update set yet or no?
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
http://ferrium.org/misc/PCS_1.3.6_b73_20060408.zip

Latest version of PCS in case you need it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I think that's modview actually. AFAIK, saving a pof in modview will erase the entire glowpoint chunk, and then on the other hand, PCS crashes every time I've tried to import the glowpoint chunk from another pof. :\
Yep, that also happened to me. I switched to Aurora then. I'll try the new version of PCS linked by Karajorma.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Yep, that also happened to me. I switched to Aurora then. I'll try the new version of PCS linked by Karajorma.

A quote to myself ....  :lol:

Thanks Kara, the new PCS version can import glows without problems. BTW Aurora crashes when loading Artemis.

Here you have fixed glowpointed versions of Artemis (normal & D.H.) (Assets v2).

@DaBrain: I've also noticed that the 'useless' models you have in Effects > models folder, are old versions but glowpointed.

OTOH, I've realized that you have put bright reflectiveness in engine parts from Medusa and Ursa, (see the screenshots where the pointer points), that doesn't seem to fit. I mean the textures seems to show a dark, dirty and rough surface, but then it behaves as a mirror. Rotate them in the F3 lab and you'll see the don't seem to fit. I've taken a look to the -shine.dds maps and these parts are 'alpha-painted' in a soft grey.

(I've used Bomber04HP.pof from Assets v1 as Bomber04.pof is missing in Assets v2. I had already told you this in a previous PM).

Edited -------------

Here you have a glowpointed Bonaegeres (from Assets v2). Also this ship hasn't got a reflective cockpit, (If you feel like tweaking the -shine map ...).

I've also seen that Poseidon (freighter02.pof) LOD3 is fully invisible in F3 lab although there's no missing texture.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 02:04:20 pm by ARSPR »

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
A triple post...  ;7

I continue looking in F3 renderer (just core and assets loaded, neither effects nor adveffects, v2). I've reached Hippocrates.

GTC Fenris (cruiser1.pof) - (Although maybe it isn't the final model because the turret error):
+ LOD2 is bad mapped.
+ This isn't the version that comes with vp 3.6.8. and it seems worse. It has more maps and has a 'GTC_Orff' instead of the correct 'nameplate' so IIRC, nameplate name changing within existing missions is going to fail.
+ (BTW. In the actual edition of vps, the cool lightspeed-nebulaed FS2 campaign is not included).

GTM Hippocrates
+ AWACtile5-glow is missing. I upload the pcx version from vp 3.6.8.
+ I don't know why, but LOD1 (adding the missing glow map) looks much worse. Lights over the hull are less sharp. LOD0 looks quite similar. I upload 2 screenshots.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
GTC Fenris (cruiser1.pof) - (Although maybe it isn't the final model because the turret error):
+ LOD2 is bad mapped.
+ This isn't the version that comes with vp 3.6.8. and it seems worse. It has more maps and has a 'GTC_Orff' instead of the correct 'nameplate' so IIRC, nameplate name changing within existing missions is going to fail.
+ (BTW. In the actual edition of vps, the cool lightspeed-nebulaed FS2 campaign is not included).
Well spotted. :)

Right, DaB brought me into the testing group, and I've now taken a very thorough look at all the ships I've done that are in the current "mv_assets_new_v2.vp", checked them against my most up to date set and have also made some small to large improvments using new techniques I've learned since I first did them. For example, the Fenris' terrible over-smoothing issue has been improved, most of the shinemaps have been improved greatly, and all the formats have been corrected.

Here's the to-do list based on the current state of mv_assets_new_v2:

===Fenris===

Remove: (old and no-longer used at all in anything files)
- Fenris-HTL_b.dds
- Fenris-HTL_b-shine.dds
- Fenris-HTL_Subs.dds
- Fenris-HTL_Subs-shine.dds
- FenrisTrim1.dds
- FenrisTrim1-shine.dds
- FenrisTrim2.dds
- FenrisTrim2-shine.dds

Update: (grab the new versions from following RAR file)
- Fenris-HTL.dds
- Fenris-HTL-shine.dds
- Fenris-HTL-glow.dds
- Fenris-HTL_debris.dds
- cruiser01.pof
- cruiser01.ibx

from http://sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/Ships/HTL_Fenris_V2.1.rar

Done!

===Leviathan===

Remove:
- Levy-HTL_b.dds
- Levy-HTL_b-shine.dds
- Levy-HTL_Subs.dds
- Levy-HTL_Subs-shine.dds

Update:
- Levy-HTL.dds
- Levy-HTL-shine.dds
- Levy-HTL-glow.dds
- cruiser01x.pof
- cruiser01x.ibx

from http://sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/Ships/HTL_Leviathan_V2.1.rar

Done!

===Aeolus===

Remove:
- Aeolus-HTL_Beam1.dds
- Aeolus-HTL_d.dds
- Aeolus-HTL_Flak1.dds

Update:
- Resave Aeolus-HTL-shine.dds as a dxt3 rather than 5 maybe? The Aeolus is otherwise already 100% up to date. :)

Done!

===Triton===

Remove:
- Triton_HTL1_c.dds

Update:
- Triton_HTL1.dds
- Triton_HTL1-shine.dds
- Triton_HTL1-glow.dds
- Triton_HTLDebris.dds
- Triton_HTLDebris-glow.dds
- Triton_HTL_Turrets.dds
- Triton_HTL_Turrets-shine.dds
- freighter2t-01.pof
- freighter2t-01.ibx

from http://sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/Ships/HTL_Triton_V2.0.rar

Done!

===TC-Tri===

Update:
- TC-Tri-HTL.dds
- TC-Tri-HTL-shine.dds
- TC-Tri-HTL_Debris.dds

from http://sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/Ships/HTL_TC-Tri_V2.0.rar

Done!

===Lucifer===

Update:
- Lucifer-HTL.dds
- Lucifer-HTL-shine.dds
- Lucifer-HTL-glow.dds
- Lucifer-HTL_Debris.dds
- Lucifer-HTL_Debris-glow.dds

from http://sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/Ships/HTL_Lucifer_V2.0.rar

Done!

=======================================

And that's it for now - big list sorry, but there are some big improvments in there from both an aesthetic and functional POV. ;)

Edit: Updated the Fenris and Leviathan to versions 2.1. I had to reconvert them both and fixed a number of other little problems.

Edit: Changed the download links.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 03:46:16 am by Vasudan Admiral »
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
@VA:  I haven't checked the other POFs yet, but the Fenris and Leviathan are missing some info.  In particular, the radars don't rotate, the info for rotation is missing from the POF.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Nyarrrgh. :(
*kicks PCS' global data import function*
Don't worry about checking the other pofs so much - the Fenris/Levy model was the only one that I reconverted, and as such, the one most prone to this sorta problem. I just should have done a more thorough pof data check.

Actually, there's a request for the ship lab. Could there be a rotate turrets/subsystems option? Coupled with Bobs new all-axis rotation thing, that could be a really useful feature for testing the settings for strangely angled subsystems. :)

Anyways, I've re-uploaded the Fenris and Levy. They should be fine now.
Twisted Infinities

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Actually, there's a request for the ship lab. Could there be a rotate turrets/subsystems option?
Already done, and that's how I noticed the problem with the POFs. :)

Same link that I PMed you before, but it's 0127 instead of 0124.  Just turn on "Rotating subsystems" in the render options to see stuff move.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Ooooh, that's awesome. :D
Any chance of applying the same thing to turrets too? Maybe having the arms go back up and down to their limits as the base rotates?
I ask mainly because it would be brilliant to be able  to test off-axis turrets in there too. It's very difficult to get turrets just to rotate like that in-game, and thus especially difficult to test off-axis ones.

The ship lab is fast becoming the ultimate POF bughunt & feature tweak platform. :D
Twisted Infinities

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Any chance of applying the same thing to turrets too?
At some point, but not soon.  There are quite a few other, lower level, lab changes that I'd like to make before any additional features are added.  If I add anything else in the next week it will be the ability to show/test thrusters, but then I'll take a break from the lab and work on other stuff (I have a very long list ;)).

The only reason I'm spending this much time with the lab now is that I need WMC's GUI code (like what the lab uses) to do the new in-game warning popups.  So learning how it works in practice, and figuring out how best to add the new features that I need, is why the lab is a good place to code in right now.  :)

Thrusters in the lab - with a slider for throttle setting - would utterly rule the kasbah.  Then all you'd need is a way to look at weapon projectiles in the lab and you'd be able to test almost everything in there.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Sorry people, only now do I notice that Truespace has struck again. When I re-converted the Fenris/Levy mesh for version 2.0, TS has managed to slightly shift the position of a few of the textures. The result was that the textures along the sides didn't match the geometry beneath, which looked quite ugly up close.

That's been fixed now, moving the version number up to 2.1. The big post on the previous page has been updated to match:

http://sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/Ships/HTL_Fenris_V2.1.rar

http://sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/Ships/HTL_Leviathan_V2.1.rar

================

Also, Pnakotus has pointed out that my thruster effects, while ok on fighters, look rather not-ok on many capships. The blue spikes made it look silly, so I've redone the effect  to remove them:

Here's the only modified file:
http://sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/thrusterglow01.tga

And if you need the whole package, it also reflects the change: http://sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/TerranThrusterGlows.zip
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 03:47:56 am by Vasudan Admiral »
Twisted Infinities