Author Topic: Official PCS2 Feature Request thread  (Read 121076 times)

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
Re: Official PCS2 Feature Request thread
properties are already a multiline isn't it?

if not it's trivial to make it multiline - and it's probably a standard two character windows \r\n carage return+new line
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Either I'm really dumb, (never discard that possibility), or Properties is not multiline at all.

OK, I would really love your tech explanation about "windows \r\n carage return+new line" if I had understood it  :wtf: :wtf: But, how do I insert that thing in the middle of the text?
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
you can't without a multiline edit box... it should be trivial enough to change

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
special point properties is not multi-line, and honestly I had never considered it, the only things I've ever seen in it was the subsystem thing and split, I didn't realize (and none of any of the other coders who have worked on POF editors for the last ten years have either) there could be anything else there.

I'll look into this and if your right I'll fix it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 12:14:43 pm by Bobboau »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
wow, it is, heh... fix committed
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Could you post a new RC build please?
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Just a quick request - could one of you stick in a 'Length' 'Width' and 'Height' measure for the open pof in both the header and subobject pannels? (ie, for the model as a whole and the currently selected subobject) I know we get the bounding box min and max positions, and so can work it out through pre-school math, but it's just so much nicer to be able to get that info at a glance. :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I guess I could do that, just as a read only display, though I try to minimise things like that so things don't get too cluttered.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
uploading a new build that has a number of small improvements and one big one I redid the way subobjects are drawn to take advantage of vertex buffers as best I could (don't know what the hell kaz was thinking when he decided to define geometry as a bunch of vertex arrays, as opposed to a single vertex array with a bunch of index arrays but that's going to have to wait until post 1.0) so all the htl models should render smooth as silk now. this turned out to be a much bigger pain in the ass than I was expecting it to be, but I got it done in not too huge an amount of time.
I'm expecting some compatibility issues, so tell me if it doesn't work.

I might be tempted to implement some sort of real render of thruster/glow point effects, I'll need to figure out how that'll work with the current omnipoint code (probably just leave it to people to turn the colors down real dark)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 02:33:45 pm by Bobboau »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
what the hell i was doing was making it easily editable for future geometry/uv manipulation.

make sure you put a hook in to allow other parts of the code to force a rebuild of the VBO

and since we're making VBOs can you see if you can make it generate .ibx files to go with the POFs

[edit]
oh.. and not using VBO's = less coding work (it's only one model, we don't need the performance advantage of VBOs) + more compatible
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 08:07:56 pm by Kazan »

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Major display glitches with the changes Bob;

Small ships like the uly and dragon etc seem to be largely unaffected, so it's not a global thing. It might be something to do with subobjects?
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well that is very very weird, because some of those ther the very models I spent a lot of time testing with.
looks like UV coordinates are getting borked in a very peculiar way, it's especaly weird how the glowmaps are working but the base map is messed up.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
gees you make the tinniest of mistakes and OGL rips your guts out, found what was causing that, I made one extremely small mistake right before I compiled/uploaded, I am now uploading a new version. that should have that fixed, it was literally one line.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Awesome, yeah that fixed it. :) And wow - the renderer really is a lot faster. Sweet. :D

Also, one other thing - in PCS1 in the paths tab there was a 'Turret' section where you specified turrets and then the subobject number of that turret in the object list.
As far as I know it has absolutely no effect in-game, but any models that do have a turret defined cause a non-fatal 'Warning: Couldn't fix up turret indices in spline path.....' message upon load into fred.

This stuff wasn't included in the PCS2 path editor so I assume you are aware of it already, but would it be possible to get PCS2 to remove any data on existing pofs in that field upon save? So rather than going through all the problem [v] ships one by one in PCS1 manually removing any defined turrets, we could just open and save them in PCS2. :)
Twisted Infinities

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Well, with the newest build texture location is not shown. (The magenta triangle outlines are missing).

Also when you select a model, that piece isn't outlined either. I think you should revise general rendering...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 03:32:12 am by ARSPR »

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
OTOH, I think there's something wrong with PCS.

Because of the Shivan Comm Node Mantis report I've run FS debug three times. I've just started the game and gone to F3 lab, then I've selected Shivan Comm Node LOD0 and I've exited (actually the game crashes because of a unknown known bug which Taylor knows about). Then I've read fs2_open.log.

When I use retail (from sparky_fs2.vp) Comm2s-01.pof I get the following warnings:
Code: [Select]
Warning: Ignoring unrecognized subsystem piece1a, believed to be in ship Comm2S-01.pof
Warning: Ignoring unrecognized subsystem piece2a, believed to be in ship Comm2S-01.pof
Warning: Ignoring unrecognized subsystem piece3a, believed to be in ship Comm2S-01.pof
Warning: Ignoring unrecognized subsystem piece4a, believed to be in ship Comm2S-01.pof
Warning: Ignoring unrecognized subsystem piece5a, believed to be in ship Comm2S-01.pof
Warning: Ignoring unrecognized subsystem core, believed to be in ship Comm2S-01.pof

When I use new Mediavps 3.6.10. Comm2s-01.pof:
Warning: Ignoring unrecognized subsystem piece1a, believed to be in ship Comm2S-01.pof
Warning: Ignoring unrecognized subsystem piece2a, believed to be in ship Comm2S-01.pof
Warning: Ignoring unrecognized subsystem piece3a, believed to be in ship Comm2S-01.pof
Warning: Ignoring unrecognized subsystem piece4a, believed to be in ship Comm2S-01.pof
Warning: Ignoring unrecognized subsystem piece5a, believed to be in ship Comm2S-01.pof
See how subsystem core one is missing probably due to the Mantised issue, as core isn't likely a valid subsystem. The Mantised in-game warnings aren't shown when you just open the model in F3 Lab.

Then I open Mediavps 3.6.10. Comm2s-01.pof with PCS 2 (your latest build from 0112 at 22:50), I insert an Enter in the middle of the conflictive line and I save. Then I get:
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'debris01' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'debris02' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'debris07' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'debris03' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'debris04' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'debris05' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'debris06' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'shcomma' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'piece1a' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'piece1a-destroyed' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'piece2a' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'piece3a' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'piece3a-destroyed' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'piece4a' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'piece4a-destroyed' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'piece5a' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'shcommb' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'piece1b' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'piece2b' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'piece3b' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'piece4b' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'piece5b' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'shcommc' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'piece1c' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'piece2c' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'piece3c' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'piece4c' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'piece5c' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
WARNING: "Inverted bounding box on submodel 'shcommd' of model 'Comm2S-01.pof'!  Swapping values to compensate." at ModelRead.cpp:2404
Warning: Ignoring unrecognized subsystem core, believed to be in ship Comm2S-01.pof
See how subsystem core is present again as it should be but now there are a lot of Inverted bounding box warnings...  :confused: :confused:

I upload an archive with the three models in case it can be useful. (Remember to fix the extension of the desired one)

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 06:30:39 am by ARSPR »

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
FS Open reports all subsystems with 0 hitpoints with the
Warning: Ignoring unrecognized subsystem piece1a, believed to be in ship Comm2S-01.pofSo it reports every and all subsystems etc stuff with that same warning even when there is absolutely no reason to do so

EDIT: OTOH it might just report any subsystem that is not navigation, engine, weapons etc system as unrecognized...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 06:00:50 am by Wanderer »
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
to fix inverted bounding boxes you need to recompile from source .cob

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
bob you didn't cvs add ogl_vertex_buffers.h ogl_vertex_buffers.cpp

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
to fix inverted bounding boxes you need to recompile from source .cob
But the problem is that:
  • I have one existing pof which hasn't got any kind of inverted bounding boxes (whatever thing they are).
  • I edit it in PCS2, I save it again, and then it has inverted bounding boxes

Are you sure there's nothing wrong with PCS?