Author Topic: Official PCS2 Feature Request thread  (Read 121083 times)

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
Re: Official PCS2 Feature Request thread
stop *****ing and give me the model already  :hopping: :mad:
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Water

Enough of this.  I did add a light and try in pcs2 again, it hangs up in smoothing operation halfway through and I have to use task manager to end the process lockup I waited once for over a half hour to make sure it wasn't just processing.
Which version of PCS2 are you using?, and was that with the cob or pof? in the zip posted above?
Both load fine in PCS2.0.1 for me

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
No, I meant I don't want to tangent Kazan's thread further with an issue of outside models and hierarchy since ATM it's Greek to me. ;)

I will try 2.01, but then after that won't sweat it since I am reinstalling almost everything (and I mean that both FS2 and non Fs2 related, this sucks) that's why I decided to go with the listed 2.0 stable build as I interprited 2.01 as beta still.

BTW is there any shield collision/bounding box issues remaining? I was going to hold off installing until those were basically ironed out.

I figured if there were any odd or unusual situations mesh-wise that could crop up it would be me posting them cause my sources are from all manner of meshers even though you would think they were stable initially. Any defects are inserted from the various formats being converted over (3ds, lwo, dfx, ms3d, gmax,and some less used ones).

It was kinda naive to just throw stuff at the PCS2 grinder and then point out when things get stuck inside especially when I don't have the 3d experience to describe it accurately, or know that I shouldn't have tried in the first place.

I appreciate Kazan and you guys patience in that.  :D
But honestly if I didn't I wouldn't have 80-90% of the progress I've gotten over the last 6 or so years.
Oh I know that puts me in danger of sharing Takashi's cross of "Perpetual Noob", but results mean more to me than personal ego. heh.

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
2.0.x = 2.0 stable bugfixes
2.1 = unstable

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
PCS2 is supposed to be handling broken models gracefully, if you have a bad model that causes it to freeze, crash, or throw up some really strange error messages, they want to see it to improve the filters and checkers that keep it from crashing.  So whether or not you have a perfect model going into PCS2 doesn't matter.  I don't have hardly any experience with modeling but I've found 5 or 6 models that have broken it on import and always passed them on to help them improve the import process.  So if he asks for the model, give it to him eh?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Aardwolf

*was away for the weekend*

Why are you using gluPerspective, all it does is call glFrustum anyway...

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Got an idea for a feature.  Being able to do a batch resave.  This way a great deal of models can be reconverted at one time.  At least the ability to do POF->POF, but if import from other models and then export to POF ever becomes anywhere near hands free, that might be useful as well, but not as much I don't think.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
I would like the ability to import only certain data from another POF.  The other day I exported a model as COB, then imported it scaled by two (the only way to do this AFAIK).  Much of the POF data is lost in that conversion.  I want to get turret FOVs, turret subobject assignments, n' stuff, but I don't want to import things like subsystem positions which have changed.  Of course, this problem would also be solved with the ability to scale, but I'm sure there are other uses for this feature.

EDIT: Oh, and on this topic, when a file contains two objects, turret01 and turret01-arm, even when the arm is a child of the other, it does not automatically assign turret01-arm to the turret (it does not make it a multipart turret).  Not sure if this is a bug or something that was just never implemented, but it would save a lot of people a lot of time if it were changed.

EDIT2: And camera move and zoom would be useful.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 10:25:37 am by blowfish »

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I'm fairly sure there already is camera zoom and move.   Shift + Left click moves the camera around (does not move the rotation point though), and middle wheel scroll zooms, as does Shift + Right click.

Three requests (first two are trivial)
1.) a simple plugin/ click button that automatically looks for a turret0X-arm and uses it, instead of having to manually set each and every turret.
2.) There is a normalize button, but how about an round up button, instead of having (0.1333, .915, 0.00001) it rounds to (0,1,0).

3.) Any chance of a resizing tool that resizes everything, mesh, firepoints, eye point...etc of existing models?
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
roadmap updated

Three requests (first two are trivial)
1.) a simple plugin/ click button that automatically looks for a turret0X-arm and uses it, instead of having to manually set each and every turret.
2.) There is a normalize button, but how about an round up button, instead of having (0.1333, .915, 0.00001) it rounds to (0,1,0).

3.) Any chance of a resizing tool that resizes everything, mesh, firepoints, eye point...etc of existing models?

those are possible

Offline Water

If I made a small file showing hotkeys and mouse modifiers - Would you be willing to create a  help entry in the top menu to add it to?

It addresses - 0000072: Feature request: WYSIWYG point-dragging - implemented in PCS2 already.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you want to write a UI cheat sheet?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Water

you want to write a UI cheat sheet?
Yes. A lot of users would find it helpful. Would it be possible for pictures (icons) as well as text? html?

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
I hope this has not been suggested before

Something that would be really useful for me:

An import funtion for COB, OBJ and DAE. "Importing" or "merging" into the currently loaded POF.
So if I want to add a detail to an old mesh, I could simply import it.

As for the options, I think there are a few needed, like  "add" (as a new subobject) "attach to" (to an existing subobject, or a lod, so it's really part of that object after that), and "replace" (which simply replaces the geometry of a subobject).

It's not that important I guess, but it would sure help with making a quick HTL version of a ship for FS2, without much trouble.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
you can import geometry into it, but it's an "add" operation at this point

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
However, isn't there also a subobject delete, essentially allowing replace but as a two-step process?  And how is general collada support coming anyway?  I think it would be great to backport that to 2.0.x instead of waiting for 2.1 and all its other features, unless some of those are needed for proper collada support.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
I do believe there is a subobject delete.  Click a subobject and press delete :P

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
And how is general collada support coming anyway?

still waiting for me to get time/motiviation to do it

I think it would be great to backport that to 2.0.x instead of waiting for 2.1 and all its other features,

that violates the entire purpose of separate stable and dev

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well then, I hope there would be a developer preview of 2.1 alpha or something with collada support before we have to wait for the bulk of the other features.  I just think it would prove very useful and a lot of modders would probably like to see it sooner rather than later.