Author Topic: Official PCS2 Feature Request thread  (Read 121081 times)

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
Re: Official PCS2 Feature Request thread
what is the date of the version of PCS2 that you are using, i could not replicate such behavior

[edit]
there was a change in the way POF HDR2 bounding box is assigned in pcs_pmf_pof.cpp revision 1.21 - that was commited June 27, 2007 - so if your build is older than that i SMACK YOU for using a 7 month old PCS2 build
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 10:27:52 am by Kazan »
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
what is the date of the version of PCS2 that you are using, i could not replicate such behavior

[edit]
there was a change in the way POF HDR2 bounding box is assigned in pcs_pmf_pof.cpp revision 1.21 - that was commited June 27, 2007 - so if your build is older than that i SMACK YOU for using a 7 month old PCS2 build
Hey I didn't thought my English was so bad.  :p  From my previous post:

OTOH, I think there's something wrong with PCS.

BLA, BLA, BLA

Then I open Mediavps 3.6.10. Comm2s-01.pof with PCS 2 (your latest build from 0112 at 22:50), I insert an Enter in the middle of the conflictive line and I save. Then I get:

BLA, BLA, BLA

I'm using this build obtained through Bob's signature link. Remember that I needed the very latest build with the multiline enhancement in Special Points > Properties.

OTOH please also check the issue with the missing graphical info about where the used textures are UV mapped or which triangles are part of a selected subsystem. (I've already said this here)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 11:14:55 am by ARSPR »
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
bob you didn't cvs add ogl_vertex_buffers.h ogl_vertex_buffers.cpp

DOH!
sorry, fixed
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
uploading version that has wire frame/highlighting in HTL mode.

has anyone thus far gotten NOTHING in the HTL versions (i.e. nothing but black, or a crash or a combination of the two with maybe a "great flaming graphics error of doom"?)
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
uploading version that has wire frame/highlighting in HTL mode.

has anyone thus far gotten NOTHING in the HTL versions (i.e. nothing but black, or a crash or a combination of the two with maybe a "great flaming graphics error of doom"?)

I've just reopened the mediavps edited Comm2s-01.pof, click in "Textures" and:

Code: [Select]
Great Flameing Graphics error of DOOM!!!!

Warning OGL reported "valor no valido" at .\pcs_file.cpp (2103)
 please report this issue to Bobboau

...or else...

And some more like this one
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
does "valor no valido" roughly translate to "invalid operation"?

or would "invalid value" be more accurate?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 02:49:55 pm by Bobboau »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I just uploaded a new build with a few more error checks (and I made it so invisible textures don't draw as white anymore (so the com node won't show as a white box with spikes sticking out of either side)).
please run that and tell me the error OGL reported, the line number and file (for example ' "valor no valido" at .\pcs_file.cpp (2103) ') it'll probably be about the same but it will rule some things out and I'll be sure the line numbers match properly.

I'm assuming when you don't click on the textures or submodels everything is working fine.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll

No crash so far, but the more POFs I open in succession the longer it takes to load them.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
are you sure you aren't just loading successively more complex models?
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
anyway sence this is the request thread after all I think this is the best place to mention I've just looked over the OBJ file format and I think I'll be able to make an importer for it, it supports everything we need in terms of geometry, so thats good, the only downside is it does not support higherarchy, so I'll need to either make some hacked together solution or OBJ import will only be a bunch of sibling objects and you'll need to rebuild the geometry in PCS2 (which fortunately enough you can do)
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
what program is .obj?

PST: no new features! we're supposed to be in RC build feature freeze for 2.0 release

[edit]
flipped BBOXes just DON'T MAKE ANY BLOODY SENSE!

this is driving me up the wall.

i'm building the HDR2 bounding box off all the subobject bounding boxes on POF save, each subobject's bounding box is constructed off it's FS2-coordinate space polygon list _OR_ if BSP cached off it's PMF coordinate space list and then ran through POFTranslate(vector3d) so it's right in both cases.

[edit2]
bob.. make sure you're convering the MOI between the two coordinate spaces

[edit3]
just found a memory leak in POF loading
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 07:09:35 pm by Kazan »

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I'm really hoping he just meant for 2.1 or 2.2, I want a stable 2.0 soon!
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Axem

anyway sence this is the request thread after all I think this is the best place to mention I've just looked over the OBJ file format and I think I'll be able to make an importer for it, it supports everything we need in terms of geometry, so thats good, the only downside is it does not support higherarchy, so I'll need to either make some hacked together solution or OBJ import will only be a bunch of sibling objects and you'll need to rebuild the geometry in PCS2 (which fortunately enough you can do)

Oh Bob, you've made me the happiest modder ever! OBJ is what I (and quite a few people I know) export to start the long and horrible POF conversion journey.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
 :) see what :yes: says, it's popular.

originally it was from wavefront, but it's a commonly supported file.

what all are we waiting for on the 1.0 (or 2.0 or what ever version number) release? aside from general settling. should we make some big huge push for developers to hunt for bugs?

I need something to work on while I wait for feedback from people. sitting here waiting hours between posts I get stir crazy.

MOI was done in the internal coordinate system, and more importantly is a function of an objects partial distance so it shouldn't have any problems, the numbers didn't seem like they were flipped any ware. but this is a perfect example of stuff I'm waiting for feedback on.

are bboxes still getting flipped?
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
the official version number we're on RC builds for is 2.0 - so yes big bughunting push.  once we're confident all bugs are hunted down and destroyed we release 2.0 and start on 2.1

people tell me that they are getting flipped but neither goob nor i could find where this is happening - it did cause me to find a memory leak (probably what ASPR was talking about with "it gets slower as i load more models)

it was leaking the net size of all the BSP data for each file!

[edit]
oh.. and i revoked PCS1.x's recognition for BSP caching.

oh.. and isn't it nice having the internal PMF format instead of having to go straight to POF when it comes time to add new formats :P

[edit2]
using VBO's for rendering will interfere with some features in 2.1 possibly
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 07:35:59 pm by Kazan »

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Bob, couldn't you just add a new branch to CVS for 2.1 stuff?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
Bob, couldn't you just add a new branch to CVS for 2.1 stuff?

:yes:

that would be a good idea - because then we could backport bugfixes to 2.0.x builds while working on 2.1 unstable

[edit]
wow.. i'm a retard - that was POF::OBJ2_Get_BSPDataPtr NOT POF::OBJ2_Get_BSPData

not a memory leak.. wee double free CRASH!

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yes and no, it's nice to have an internal format not dependent on POFs, but the way geometry is organized is horrifically ineffecent. if you would have used a index based representation of the geometry rather than a pure vertex based representation (that is a list of vertexes and polygons represented as a list of indexes into this list of vertexes rather than polygons being simply a list of vertexes) it would have been several orders of magnitude better. most (all that I am aware of) file formats are arainged like this and it's the cause of 90% (this is an understatement) of the time BSP compiling takes (tree generation for extremely complex models only takes about less than half a second, converting from PCS2 internal geometry to indexed geometry takes 30 seconds or more). the first thing I want to do after release is change this, because it's the biggest limiting factor in the programs design.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
did we ever figure out how to work branching, because I tried that once already with the experimental BSP stuff and it didn't work out so great.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
.OBJ import would indeed be cool. The lack of a hierarchy might make it very tedious though. Might you be able to generate at least some initial hierarchy based on the object names? Ie, anything called 'turret01a' would be parented to 'detail0', while 'turret01b' would go to 'detail1' etc.

As for other stuff that could be done, well the save as cob function is still partially broken: http://ferrium.org/mantis/view.php?id=36
And it would also be really cool to be able to open VP files and look at any models in there. <insert begging emoticon here>
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities