Author Topic: Crytek: Next Gen Consoles are Too Weak...  (Read 6265 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Crytek: Next Gen Consoles are Too Weak...
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: Crytek: Next Gen Consoles are Too Weak...
Next gen consoles,but that is an Xbox site.Are they correct?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
talk about overkill on the more power front :/
I hate My signature!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Next gen consoles,but that is an Xbox site.Are they correct?

Why not?

And shrink your siggy, will you? It's too big.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
****in' A!

That said it's rather annoying that - by inference - we'll all have to upgrade to DX10 compliant rigs if we want it to run as intended.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
"siggy" is being "shrinked".
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
If Alan Wake can be done on the 360, I'm sure that Crysis is just unoptimized. :p

And shouldn't this be in "Games and Gaming?"

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Fair point, sorry Sandy but I've moved it :)

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
I do think that crysis will be ported to consoles at some point maybe after year, but it's all about money
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I should point out that DX10 is serously wetinmypants awsome, especaly compared to the current line of APIs wich seem very hacked together in comparison.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

No problemo - I keep on forgetting about this board. :p

Anyway, yeah, I'm faced with an awkward upgrade time. I have a 9800 Pro currently (trying to) push 2,304,000 pixels during any one game. The poor thing. I had been looking at things to upgrade to along the lines of an X1950XTX (mostly wishful thinking, really) or, more realistically, the X1900XT 256Mb. But since I'm not really playing any current games except HL2 episodes and Serious Sam 2 occasionally, my main gaming motivation would be Crysis, Supreme Commander, and C&C3. So, do I wait for DX10 cards, do I take an incremental upgrade step (X1900XT) and see how long that lasts, or do I go for a VERY small upgrade, like an X850 or something?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 12:28:41 am by Sandwich »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It's quite possible that most of these new effects could be done just fine in DX9 but will be artificially restricted to working only in DX10. They did that sort of thing with the Far Cry content update. :p Although it's apparently going to be a while before DX10 is released at all.

It might be worth noting that the initial round of DX10 cards are supposed to major power hogs, in the 200-250W range (and the leaked 8800 photos seem to confirm this), and will require many people to buy new power supplies.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
It might be worth noting that the initial round of DX10 cards are supposed to major power hogs, in the 200-250W range (and the leaked 8800 photos seem to confirm this), and will require many people to buy new power supplies.

you should have upgraded your power supply already, just in case.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
yeah OCZ as far as i know has allready put out a 1kW PSU :)
I hate My signature!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

No problemo - I keep on forgetting about this board. :p

Anyway, yeah, I'm faced with an awkward upgrade time. I have a 9800 Pro currently (trying to) push 2,304,000 pixels during any one game. The poor thing. I had been looking at things to upgrade to along the lines of an X1950XTX (mostly wishful thinking, really) or, more realistically, the X1900XT 256Mb. But since I'm not really playing any current games except HL2 episodes and Serious Sam 2 occasionally, my main gaming motivation would be Crysis, Supreme Commander, and C&C3. So, do I wait for DX10 cards, do I take an incremental upgrade step (X1900XT) and see how long that lasts, or do I go for a VERY small upgrade, like an X850 or something?

What's more pressing for me is that the first DX10 cards will be phenomenally expensive, anyways........

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
That's why I'm hoping that upgrading won't be essential if I want to play the upcoming games. I just splashed out a decent amount of money on this system and don't really want to find that DX10 is making it obsolete by Christmas.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
imo after DX 10 will come DX11 then 12 etc, if you start waiting your ****ed :)
I hate My signature!

Offline Cyker

I should point out that DX10 is serously wetinmypants awsome, especaly compared to the current line of APIs wich seem very hacked together in comparison.

In what way?

Unless they've re-written DX10 so that writing code for it isn't so scary, I don't see why it will be substantially better than any of the other DXs in terms of difference.

None of the comparsions I've seen have been espescially compelling (They either just aren't, or the DX9/OGL one is deliberately crapified...).

Admittedly I'm talking out of my ass really as I'm never going to see it on my machine (I still use Win98 FFS! They think I'm going to get Vista???! Ha!), and I'm sure it won't work in Linux (Oh Farenheit!).
But jeez... 250W? Seriously? My *server* uses a 250W PSU!!! (Now, admittedly it *is* a K6-III... but its a K6-III with a terabyte of storage damnit! :D)

But Raster-based rendering sucks anyway.

I WANT A REAL-TIME RAYTRACING CARD DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!  :hopping: :mad:  ;)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 12:42:20 pm by Cyker »

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

I WANT A REAL-TIME RAYTRACING CARD DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!  :hopping: :mad:  ;)

They're working on it.

http://www.openrt.de/ / http://www.openrt.de/

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Forget ray-tracing, I want Real Time Radiosity!