Author Topic: Crytek: Next Gen Consoles are Too Weak...  (Read 6261 times)

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Re: Crytek: Next Gen Consoles are Too Weak...
See Halo 3.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Eh?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I think he's saying Halo 3 has real time radiosity then?

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Yes. At least in the fact that geometry reflects light onto other objects in a global lighting system.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
isnt that called enviroment mapping?
I hate My signature!

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
isnt that called enviroment mapping?

Not if the light reflects more than once I don't think? Are we saying that - if properly positioned in FS2 - and we had this - one could see the cannon fire of ones own ship in the cockpit glass of another ship that has recieved that information from a third/fourth/whatever ship?

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Offhand, environment mapping involves rendering the scene from 6 or so sides and sphere mapping it for reflection (which can be done with pre-renders and a cube rather than dynamically; the sphere technique results in seams at the back), whereas RRR (or more specifically Global Illumination, which is what RRR attempts to emulate in realtime) actually traces light rays reflecting off of surfaces (photons moving and soforth), etc (ray tracing is a method for doing the light tracing for GI).  RRR is a method for mimicking GI, I believe (http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/nickamy/realtimerad/realtimerad.html), although it's worth noting that in the context of Halo 3 I don't think it's been confirmed as the exact method Bungie are employing (at least not in anything a quick google search brings up).

This, of course, is going by a very cursory laymans search, so I'm sure I'll be corrected.  As an aside, one RRR method suggested in the above link appears to be to do a cursory raytrace and place light sources at each 'point of impact'(?) and then use a simplified illumination model with those impact light sources

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Radiosity makes a potentially boring room composed of 4 flat, featureless walls (and ceiling, and floor) and a single omnidirectional light source look beautiful. You'd see subtle shadowing along the walls towards the corners, due to that area of the walls being less exposed to the lit-up walls adjacent to it. I could render up a quick demonstration in MAX if I still had it installed. But here's my old Amaunet rendered with radiosity - notice the darkening along the inside of the 3 necks, where they join the body; every corner is darker than either of the surfaces that meet at that corner. That's the effect of radiosity. :)

IIRC it was Ryx who actually rendered that pic... IIRC.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=68462

Crytek's lead artist, Michael Khaimzon, has revealed that the developer could confidently port highly-anticipated PC title Crysis to PS3 and Xbox 360 - although there are no current plans to do so.

Speaking to our sister site GamesIndustry.biz, Khaimzon said, "I don’t think there would be any problem to convert anything we work on to the next-gen consoles if we decided to.

"We have enough power here, with programmers and artists, to be able to do such a thing. It's just a matter of making the decision."

Khaimzon's comments will only fan the flames of rumour which surround Crysis - a first-person shooter already wowing consumers and critics alike - that publisher Electronic Arts may bring the game to home consoles after release on PC early next year.

Discussing whether the team at Crytek would be interested in working on the next-generation of home consoles, Khaimzon added: "I'm pretty sure it would be interesting for us to do stuff on the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360.

"We would just have to see how much of a sacrifice to the game we'd have to make. Or whether there would be a sacrifice at all, maybe we could find a way to make the game look exactly the same as it does on PC on the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3."

When asked directly whether there was a possibility that Crysis would appear on home consoles, Khaimzon replied: "There might be, the decision isn't mine to make. I don’t know of any official plans to do so, but I know there are rumours and talk, but I couldn't say anything concrete."

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
 :doubt:
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Well, isn't that funny.