Author Topic: The Death of the Space shooter  (Read 28230 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: The Death of the Space shooter
Unreal 2004 was a big jump forward in most regards but the insults went backward..... while the graphics and gameplay were comparable in quality until you changed the announcer back to the original voice was terrible and almost all of the new insults were just plain silly and worthless.

Actually, I and a lot of other long time UT players found UT2004 to be a serious disappointment due to the gameplay changes they made. The combat mechanics and weapon balance in the original game were almost perfect, but they modified a lot of things in the newer games, toning down most weapons (but not all, messing up the balance) and generally making the entire game slower paced. It's a pity, as UT2004 was jam-packed with features and got everything right except for the gameplay. I'm still holding some hope that UT2007 will go back to the old style again, based on some comments from the developers to that effect.

they just released another Unreal Anthology I think I'm going to buy this time around it has all of the Unreal games included I have all of them save the original Unreal and Expansion which I played and finnished years after Unreal tournament was released..... but I don't have originals of them.

Have you tried the Excessive Unreal mod by any chance? If I had more time, I would be inspired to make something similar for the FS2 campaign. :D

Unreal Tournament is debatably the BEST FPS ever made. Halo was good, but it used the Unreal Tournament (can't remember which number) Engine. Unreal Tournament was a major turning point in FPSs. Easy learning curve, extremely difficult end-of-level "boss," and finally, the game's very own engine. Which, btw, is the platform for many of today's FPSs. Actually, it's the first FPS I've ever played. Oh yea, also, they support modding, just like FS2...

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
extremely difficult end-of-level "boss,"

:confused: Are you referring to the original Unreal? Also, Halo uses it's own engine.

I wouldn't say UT is the best FPS of any sort (that would be Deus Ex), but it's certainly the best multiplayer one I have played. I was completely hooked for a little under two years and went up very high in some of the ladders. The game still looks pretty decent too. The S3TC textures in particular (together with the detail texture effect) are better than any those in any modern game.

On the other hand, I never got much into UT2004 due to its generally slow-paced nature and balance issues. There are mutators available to fix them, but they aren't sufficiently popular online. I suppose I didn't have enough free time to get seriously into the game by that point anyway.

Offline Roanoke

I hate boss' in FPS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightspeed_%28computer_game%29

that is my favorite space game ever

shallow, terrible graphics, and slow paced

but it still, to this day, fascinates me completly

I need to find a copy of it and figure out how to run it on windows xp 64, the hard drive computer I had it on died a horrible death

Offline Roanoke

hey that sounds pretty good.  :)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Have any of you played The Last Dynasty? It's a combination of a space sim and an adventure game with a somewhat weird story and goofy cutscenes. Some of the space missions were pretty cool and the adventure part was very good from what I remember. I think it was actually the first space sim I played, although I never beat the adventure portion. One of my CDs for it is cracked and I recently bought a new copy off ebay, but the seller is taking forever to ship it. :p

Offline bloated

yeah some of the weapon balance was ruined in Unreal 2004 but you can't ignore the huge outdoor environments and the vehicles along with the new game variations that were added.

it was a tragedy what they did to the plasma rifle.... a tragedy.

I walked away from the deathmatch style gameplay immediately once I got it and only played onslaught I think it was called where you had to capture way points and battles were focused around contested way points.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
it was a tragedy what they did to the plasma rifle.... a tragedy.

And the rocket launcher, sniper rifle, flak cannon, shock rifle, etc. :doubt: Even the weapon sounds were horribly wimpy compared to the ones in UT. The minigun was kept about the same though, which made it overpowered compared to the other stuff. The basic walking speed was also turned down a bit, which, combined with the weak weapons, made it feel almost like UT in slow motion.

Onslaught could have been great but suffered from similar issues. The biggest problem was that you needed a vehicle to do anything on most maps, as players on foot were too slow and weak in comparison and didn't have any effective weapons (the Avril was crap), so you had to wait in lines at the vehicle spawn areas, BF2 style. :p Some of the vehicle weapons also needed a lot of work. The Scorpion's main weapon was too powerful (this will be changed in UT2007) while its secondary blade attack was next to useless. The Hellbender was also very underpowered, practically useless with one person and possessing a rear turret that was too weak.

Also, where did Domination go? In the original game I played that and CTF almost exclusively. The DD mode was fun but not much of a substitute.

Sorry, just venting a bit. I really wanted to like this game; it had immense potential with its brilliant level design (some of the Assault ones particularly come to mind) and variety of gameplay modes and mutators, which makes the core gameplay flaws all the more disappointing. I would still easily take it over any other recent multiplayer FPS, but man, it could have been so much better. :(
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 10:41:29 am by CP5670 »

Offline Roanoke

I really liked UT04 though I had played very little of previous versions.

I love UT2004, but I do have one compalint. Onslaught was terrible all around. Could have been much better...

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Roanoke

I liked onslaught.....

Offline bloated

the rocket launcher, sniper rifle, flak cannon, shock rifle
yeah forgot how bad they poached the rocket launcher, the flack was fine, shock rifle was more than good in most ways. and they re-introduced the original sniper rifle that was way over powered and the new one was pretty gay but far better balanced compared to the original.
I love UT2004, but I do have one compalint. Onslaught was terrible all around. Could have been much better.
Onslaught was terrible...... let me say that again, you think Onslaught was terrible.... :lol: Onslaught was the only real reason to play multiplayer online every other aspect of the game was a homogenous remake of the original done worse.

p.s. they really should have done a better job with the Avril.......

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
yeah forgot how bad they poached the rocket launcher, the flack was fine, shock rifle was more than good in most ways. and they re-introduced the original sniper rifle that was way over powered and the new one was pretty gay but far better balanced compared to the original.

They halved the rate of fire for the flak cannon's main attack and reduced the damage for its secondary attack. In the first game, a direct hit from the flak mortar shell used to result in an instant kill on someone at 100 health. I used to do that all the time. In UT2004, it takes at least two hits. The shock rifle's combo attack was made dramatically weaker. It used be quite powerful in UT and had a wide range of effect but in UT2004, it's hardly worth putting in the effort to master the technique. As for the UT sniper rifle, it was quite balanced compared to the other weapons in that game. The new one was toned down a lot even by UT2004's standards, both doing less damage and firing at maybe a quarter of the speed of the old one.

Even your starting weapons were weakened. The enforcer was replaced with the pathetic assault rifle (seriously, it was useless against anything) and the shield gun's damage was reduced over that of the old impact hammer.

In contrast, the minigun was still just as powerful as before and was far and away the best standard weapon in UT2004. The biorifle was also pretty good, although its range was reduced from the UT one.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 12:21:35 am by CP5670 »

Offline bloated

I never had problems killing ppl with the new shock rifle's combo attack, also the added advantage of repelling oncoming vehicles was fantastic, I always considered the original's way over powered and with a too large area effect.... so I have to disagree with you on that one.

the flak gun in the New UT is fine the bigger problem is the size of the maps and the original was a little over powered so I disagree on that one.

the UT sniper was overpowered, the new one a dramatic improvement devastating if you get a headshot absolutely useless anywhere else as it should be and while the rate of fire is slow it made it a true sniper weapon and not a viable assault weapon which I agree with entirely..... although the massive amount of smoke after firing was really stupid.

the starting weapon are absolutely worthless in single or dual weild variant I agree on that... a complete piece of crap even against ppl let alone vehicles and I missed the pistols which were just plain dam fun while viable weapons as well..

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Well, I suppose I'm biased towards the UT style after having played it for so long, but that has traditionally been how the Unreal and UT game mechanics have operated. All the weapons were heavily overpowered in a sense, so everything ended up perfectly balanced. You could say that while UT2004 was a good game, it simply wasn't a UT game.

As I said earlier, some of the developers have said that they're going to go closer to the classic UT style in UT2007, so I can't wait until that is released. It has been delayed well into next year, unfortunately.

Hmm, let's see Unreal Tournament 2007 released in 2007. Whoa, what a concept.

\spartan wonders why they didnt' release it on the year on the title...

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I think the operative phrase is 'Well into', which suggests that you won't see it till post September of that year, else they are going to have to consider a name change.

Ah, okay....  :(

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I think they last said Q2, which would probably mean some time in the summer.