Author Topic: First Ps3 review  (Read 13024 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
64%

(EDIT; it's gamespot, so a load of pish no doubt, but usually they overrate rather than underrate games.  Advertising revenue, davinchy kerr?)

(well, technically the first reported were Famitsu, but this is the first I know of in English)

So, 500 quid then, eh?

Offline Inquisitor

The first one was entertaining. Nothing great, and awfully short, but pretty look at and entertaining to play while it lasted.
No signature.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Personally, I'm interested to see just how far the 'pretty graphics' genre will go before it collapses, and I'm not referring purely to Playstations, just gaming in general is becoming so heavily dependent on 'looking good' that, personally, I'm beginning to feel that original gameplay is coming in a distant third after visual and audio. Looking at the results for that game, it more or less copies that trend.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Personally, I'm interested to see just how far the 'pretty graphics' genre will go before it collapses, and I'm not referring purely to Playstations, just gaming in general is becoming so heavily dependent on 'looking good' that, personally, I'm beginning to feel that original gameplay is coming in a distant third after visual and audio. Looking at the results for that game, it more or less copies that trend.

I give it about 2 years..... although I'm not an economist :)

I remember a lot of publishers posting losses or reduced profits because the 360 user base was smaller than expected (and development costs ever increasing); it seems as if the commercial games industry is largely based on an assumption of the customer base increasing in line with the product developments costs, and to me that indicates it's quite possibly heading for a crash.

Most people know my opinion on the 3 consoles that form this next gen and how much and why they do/don't appeal to me, I'd imagine, so I won't bore anyone with it :D

Offline Dysko

It looks like I'm not the only one out there who hates the pretty-graphic-but-nothing-else trend!
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Good point, and I agree.

I don't think there's any excuse for sloppy audio these days, file sizes being what they are I think decent audio can be fitted on the normal formats for PC and console games without any issues. But graphics are being pushed and pushed - while a lot of advancements have been made I don't really see it sustaining the gaming industry forever...

gaming in general is becoming so heavily dependent on 'looking good' that, personally, I'm beginning to feel that original gameplay is coming in a distant third after visual and audio.

I'd agree with you if it weren't for Nintendo, but the Wii kinda punches a really big hole in that theory.  Nintendo is only giving it's graphical power lip service while making the console all about gameplay.  It'd still be interesting how this generation works out with that factor thrown in.
Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Personally, I'm interested to see just how far the 'pretty graphics' genre will go before it collapses

Hi. I'm guessing you're new to this whole "video games" thing.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Zylon, Zylon, I see the concept of increased complexity outweighing graphical improvement is much too far over your head to have registered.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Riiight, that's exactly what Flipside said.   :doubt:

Nevermind that "increased complexity outweighing graphical improvement" is ambiguous gibberish.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
I'm with Zylon here (as per usual). The fact that graphics are getting better and better has been going on since..... I don't know - day one?

The only reason that story, audio and all that **** was relied on before was because the graphics weren't there as a distraction for morons to play the game anyway. Now that there are, you really can't blame the graphics, it's the morons who buy the games that are solely about graphics.

We who know what we want, will hang around for the full package games, but I assume we'll still have some standards regarding the graphical element not for it to revert down to the ****ing Commodore (or any mummified old console).

As far as the PS3 goes, I can't say I get why the hell they're releasing it now with the Giant Enemy Crab games and crap like that. I sure as hell wouldn't buy it for those games, nor would I recommend anyone else to do it as well. Personally I'll be getting the console when and if the games I'm waiting for (that have that full package of story/audio/video/whateverio) deliver, then Ill consider buying the console. Till then, can't say I care much.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
:wtf: Since when has the capabilitiers of a console got anything to do with the balance between graphics and gameplay? I'm not saying that good graphics are bad, what I'm saying is sacrificing gameplay for graphics is bad.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Nope, that's not what your original sentence says.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Personally, I'm interested to see just how far the 'pretty graphics' genre will go before it collapses, and I'm not referring purely to Playstations, just gaming in general is becoming so heavily dependent on 'looking good' that, personally, I'm beginning to feel that original gameplay is coming in a distant third after visual and audio.

The whole sentence does.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Seems pretty clear to me.

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
And as Mr. Plympton illustrates above, this is absolutely nothing new.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I'm not talking about the abilities of consoles, I'm talking about the balance between gameplay and visuals in games. Consoles have no gameplay whatsoever, no matter what an ad might declare, that boils down to the people who write games for them.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI

Seems pretty clear to me.

And with the inclusion of this part in that sentence that you avoided with a good reason:

we realize the sentence creator is misinformed about what Zylon and I've pointed out.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Yes, well if you're going to take a few words out of a sentence and consider them without regard from the rest of it, you are obviously going to get the wrong information. So basically, Aldo highlighted the parts of the sentence you and Zylon chose to ignore?

Not at any point in my post did I ask when the graphics-race started, I know when it started, I was there, but simple progress in technology is not what I am talking about, I would have thought this apparent.

Yes, consoles and games have always strived for better graphics, that's natural, what I'm talking about, as my entire sentence states, is that modern gaming seems to be more orientated towards graphics than gameplay, once upon a time, you wrote a game and put the best graphics you could to it, nowadays it seems the first stop of any game is the graphics engine, once that's sorted, they worry about adding a game to it. And on many occasions, far more work goes into the graphics than the game.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 07:55:30 pm by Flipside »

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
No, Aldo highlighted the parts of the sentence that were backing up your argument, while ignoring the key part that invalidates your argument. I just highlighted it to be visible - the point is that the entire sentence matters, not just what aldo highlighted, and since you chose to start with said part, it is exclusively important and takes precedence to any other points you'd be trying to make.

So either you

a) Don't know how to write English
or you
b) Don't know anything regarding the topic of the point you were trying to make

Your pick.

Now, assuming a) is your problem, we're all on the same page, except for the fact that, like I said, it is a given that developers will try to entice the player with graphics and ultimately keep the player enamored with them, while ignoring the rest, because that's the easiest way to attract morons. Morons have money too, and there's nothing bad about making money.

It is however, our hope, that someone will (although scarcely) make games that include things aside from graphics, and therefore will make a product that is acceptable to those of us who have a higher intellect than a rabid gorilla.