Author Topic: First Ps3 review  (Read 13027 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Thank you for resorting to insults, it proves you're out of options. I rest my case.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
You can rest whatever you want, your points all still remain unproven, beaten and brutally assasinated forever.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Yes, you've conclusively proved that if you pull the first 16 words out of a 40ish word sentence and quote them out of context with a sarcastic comment, you can make up anything you want.

The simple fact you had to resort to insults strongly suggests that you are backed into a corner, fight or flight situation, you see.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
I've already explained that's not the case. You've yet to make any relevant argument regarding my logic.

Also, if you consider what i wrote above as insulting, you really have some issues regarding your own psychology.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Fun game > Pretty game

That's where this thread is headed.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Either
a) Don't know how to write English
or you
b) Don't know anything regarding the topic of the point you were trying to make

So you give me two options, either I'm stupid or ignorant, yes, I can see how that wouldn't be considered rude....

Whilst the start of the sentence may be considered a summarisation, it is not the body of the text, it's literally judging a book by its cover, that is why the rest of the sentence exists, to explain the meaning of the opening, if you ignore the rest of the sentence then you are ignoring its meaning. What you have done is effectively read the title and judged the content by it.

Edit : And, quite frankly, it was done deliberately.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 08:54:24 pm by Flipside »

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Those are the only two extrapolations I could deduce by you insisting that you were correct. If you can find any other reason as to why you'd make the omission and still think you were right about it, you're welcome to add it.

And again, I've already stated that the argument you're trying to make is invalid for the reasons I've already written on page one, in the post you found insulting. The fact you chose to focus on the wrong part, isn't my fault or problem.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The whole point originally made by me was that games were getting more and more graphically focussed, I didn't mention why, or how, simply that it was happening. I don't see any relationship in your comment regarding appealing to the common denominator and Zylons original comment about how it had been going on for ages.

Now, quite honestly, taking the first 16 words out of a sentence and reading whatever you so desire into them is not good debating. If you want to debate the point, then you have to debate the whole point, not just snip out a few words and argue your entire case based on those.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Except that point wasn't made by you, a completely different point was the point you made.

If you'd have made the point you were trying to make, as you explained later, then we'd have agreed on it from the jump.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
No it wasn't you yourself said Aldo highlighted the parts that supported my point of view, so they were obviously there.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
While ignoring the parts that invalidated it.

See, you're conveniently taking out even parts of my sentences that prove you right, without looking at the whole. The whole invalidates you.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Yeah ok. I'll just have to accept that, to you at least, the phrase

'Personally, I'm interested to see just how far the 'pretty graphics' genre will go before it collapses'

says more than...

'and I'm not referring purely to Playstations, just gaming in general is becoming so heavily dependent on 'looking good' that, personally, I'm beginning to feel that original gameplay is coming in a distant third after visual and audio. Looking at the results for that game, it more or less copies that trend.'

« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 09:14:18 pm by Flipside »

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Give it a rest eh guys?

Offline Roanoke

for the graphics whores, two words: Doom. Three.

TKO!!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I was never that impressed with D3's graphics, although I liked the game otherwise. The contrast was way too high, making everything look washed out, and the textures were often very blurry. The engine also has that annoying frameskipping problem. Far Cry came out six months earlier and looked much better in my opinion.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Doom 3 was ok looking, but once again, suffered from a case of more effort being put into the graphics than were put into the game, to the point where the gameplay was actually being limited by the graphics.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Only if your computer wasn't up to the task ;)

I don't know.. I found D3 to be a fairly well rounded game. The interface was top-notch as everything merged together quite nicely. The PDA was a nice touch and yes the graphics and audio were very pretty. Could they have put more effort into the storyline? I'm not sure.. it wasn't the greatest storyline in the world but it did have a lot of immersion (thanks to the graphics and the PDA) - that said they probably could have done more for the storyline than that.

And on that front, graphics can provide immersion that has made good games into great games. Imagine Doom 3 with ****ty graphics and what are you really left with? Not much. Alright it was perhaps too dark in places but the graphics really helped to heighten the sense of "oh **** what's around the corner". 

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Yeah, I'll admit, the main problem with it was the fact that the graphics slowed the game down, which isn't nearly as much of a issue now.

I suppose my main problem is that, exactly as you stated, Doom3 without pretty graphics wasn't much of a game. There were some good moments, I'll admit that, but when Doom came out, the whole 'FPS' scene was new, Doom 3 was just another FPS, but with a more famous name.

Edit : Though, in all honesty, I did enjoy playing it simply because it was Doom ;)

Oddly enough, this always reminds me of a Terry Pratchett quote...

'Mankind has tried several ways to fight the Ultimate Evil, Prayer, Doing Good Deeds, Fasting etc, why did it take until Doom2 for someone to think of the double barreled shotgun?'
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 02:49:58 pm by Flipside »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I thought Doom 3 as a game was pretty good. It was reasonably long, the weapons were fun to use, and the PDAs added a lot of detail to an otherwise generic story. The level design was a mixed bag but there were some well done parts. The graphics were actually its weakest aspect IMO.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I think the PDA's were under-used in all honesty, all they really did was confirm what you already knew, it would have been nice to have them as more than talking key-cards with the occasional access code. It would have been interesting to try and piece together both the problem and the solution by using the information on them.