Author Topic: The Ursa  (Read 17513 times)

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I find it pretty useless. It was said to have a huge payload and everything, but the only advantage it has over other bombers is it's ability to carry the helios and heavy armor. And the heavy armor is negated by it's size and speed. Its payload is the same as other bombers, you'd think it would at least have the payload of a boanerges.

What do you guys think of it?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
*sigh*

Where's my flamethrower?

EDIT: If you really know how to fly an Ursa then speed isn't a problem. Plus, take into account that the Ursa was entered into active service THIRTY-TWO years before the Boanerges. And the Boanerges sucks. Give me an Ursa or Artemis D.H. any day.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 04:38:15 pm by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

We all know the Ursas crud. Its obvious. Its a fact that stares us in the face every time we see an Ursa. But we still find a way to love them. Wierd, huh?
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
By "we," you mean "you," right?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
EDIT: If you really know how to fly an Ursa then speed isn't a problem. Plus, take into account that the Ursa was entered into active service THIRTY-TWO years before the Boanerges.

And taken into account how it's twice the size of a Medusa but has the same missile capacity? ::)

If you really know how to fly an Ursa, then you're flying a Boanerges. I'd hazard a guess that it was cheaper than the Ursa was too.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
EDIT: If you really know how to fly an Ursa then speed isn't a problem. Plus, take into account that the Ursa was entered into active service THIRTY-TWO years before the Boanerges.

And taken into account how it's twice the size of a Medusa but has the same missile capacity? ::)

Um, when the Ursa was made, it was made specifically to carry the Harbinger bombs, and the Harbingers are HUGE. The Ursa NEEDS to be large in order to carry them. The Medusa can't carry the Harbingers. Yes, they both have 3 missile banks, but so freaking what? Almost every bomber in the game has 3 banks. Almost every bomber can carry the same number of missiles and bombs.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I personally like the fact that the Ursa has a Kayser turret.  I've gotten more kills out of "Slaying Ravana" for ships I never shot than I would have imagined.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
@cobra

Let's look at it this way.

The Medusa has a 50gb hard drive. It can at most fit 5 separate 10gb files on it. The Ursa has a 100gb hard drive, but it can only fit 5 separate 10gb files or 2 25gb files on it. The other half is just wasted space.

Sound retarded?

Exactly.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
@cobra

Let's look at it this way.

The Medusa has a 50gb hard drive. It can at most fit 5 separate 10gb files on it. The Ursa has a 100gb hard drive, but it can only fit 5 separate 10gb files or 2 25gb files on it. The other half is just wasted space.

Sound retarded?

Exactly.

You bet it sounded retarded. It made YOU look retarded, too. Can you possibly get any dumber? That doesn't even make sense!

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Coming from you, that doesn't mean all too much.  :)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Says the person who's earned the title "Think, then post."

Seriously guys, keep it on topic.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Sorry Stratcomm, I just wanted to respond to his crappy flame.
Besides, I was simply stating that I was not insulted because I was flamed by someone who is backing up their argument with opinions. :nod:

Back on topic, if the Ursa can carry the HUGE harbinger, and it's capacity is the same as the Medusa's, and virtually every other bomber, why can't they all mount the Harbinger? Because the Ursa has more space? Then why can't it fit more tsunamis or other missiles?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 05:16:19 pm by thesizzler »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
CANON. For god's sake, canon!

EDIT: Oh, right. Don't forget the various loading mechanisms inside the bomb bays.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Since when does the Ursa have the same payload as the Medusa? What is this nonsense?

Ursa is better on easy or very easy where it doesn't matter how much damage you take.

Edit: er... the other way around. It's better because it only matters how much damage you take, and not how well you dodge. Or dodging is less useful, anyway. Yeah. Dodging is less useful.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
CANON. For god's sake, canon!

EDIT: Oh, right. Don't forget the various loading mechanisms inside the bomb bays.

Yeah, how about that? I never said it should be changed. I was just whining very annoyingly about it. And anyway, why didn't you say that in the first place? We could have avoided this mess entirely! ::)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
:wtf:

I'm done. I'm just done with this thread. I've tried to explain to you why an Ursa apparently has the same payload as a Medusa, which, in fact, it doesn't. Instead you've been stubborn, completely ignoring what I've said and posting crap that doesn't make sense. And finally when I state that the amount of freaking harbingers and tsunamis the Ursa can carry is only due to canon and a certain story behind it (and possibly, game engine limitations), you turn around and blame the entire argument on me?

Psh.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The Ursa is after all an older design. It is fairly mediocre in FS2 (the Sekhmet is equal or better in almost every way) but was great for its time in FS1. As was said earlier, the Medusa is weaker and can't carry harbingers even if it's actual capacity is only slightly less, and it wasn't all that much faster or more maneuverable anyway. The Ursa also has the extra primary weapon mount.

And I might add that the way this thread has proceeded is ridiculous. A good example of what's wrong with this place these days. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 05:43:05 pm by CP5670 »

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
The Ursa is after all an older design. It is fairly mediocre in FS2 (the Sekhmet is equal or better in almost every way) but was great for its time in FS1. As was said earlier, the Medusa is weaker and can't carry harbingers even if it's actual capacity is only slightly less, and it wasn't all that much faster or more maneuverable anyway. The Ursa also has the extra primary weapon mount.
Indeed. The Ursa was the bomber to fear in FS1. In FS2, the times and technology have changed, and the Ursa is more obsolete. It doesnt even compare with the Medusa, though. Not at all, it's far more powerful.
You people forget to keep things in context. This game isnt and never was about ships being as fast as a Perseus with as much power as an Ursa. Balance, and playability play a major role in what makes FS so great. Many of you forget that.
And I might add that the way this thread has proceeded is ridiculous. A good example of what's wrong with this place these days. :rolleyes:
Indeed again. Cut the flaming. (Cobra, if you have nothing nice to say, or disagree, either say nothing, or say something politely.) This kind of behaviour is what I'd expect from elementary schoolers. Either grow up, or shut up. More flaming will end up with this thread being locked. It's far too diseased as it is to cut out the cancer and hope to start anew.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
The Ursa rocks... but I prefer the Medusa... when it comes to heavy bombing though... the Ursa is the best Terran bomber... granted the Zod and Shivan bombers are better.