Author Topic: Oh, sweet Jesus...  (Read 14702 times)

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
PC Gamer used to be ok, but then it started reviewing things like the BF:V beta (and citing stuff dropped in the retail game like the B52) without saying so, or giving Halo 90% whilst saying that the notorious juddery slowdown as ok because it was 'authentic' to the original.

I stopped subscribing to it years ago, but it does seem to have lost a bit a of it's luster. I only offered the Universal Combat review because it's in one of the magazines that is perpetual sitting on top of my toilet.

i guess you gotta wipe your butt with *something*  :p
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Ugh, PC Gamer. I picked up one of their magazines on a whim, since they didn't have CGW. I read through the whole thing in about five minutes - then was so amazed, I went back through it and counted the pages. There were some like twenty pages of actual content and maybe fifty pages of ads. On top of that, their reviews  were pretty lacking. Never bought it again.

Offline Inquisitor

You people need other hobbies.
No signature.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Might be worth remembering that PCG has given us some very good publicity before everyone starts lining up to bash them.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,37897.msg772546.html#msg772546

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/karajorma/Misc-Pics/Article.jpg
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Ugh, PC Gamer. I picked up one of their magazines on a whim, since they didn't have CGW. I read through the whole thing in about five minutes - then was so amazed, I went back through it and counted the pages. There were some like twenty pages of actual content and maybe fifty pages of ads. On top of that, their reviews  were pretty lacking. Never bought it again.

Offhand, I'm guessing you mean US PCG, which is a different kettle of fish.  My experience of US mags is very limited, and also out of date, but I do remember the last one I read being full of huge previews-cum-ads with very poor reviews hidden deep in the bowels of the mag.

I love PC Gamer. Except for the excessive ads. But they have good reviews and provide good information, and they have exclusive previews (and AWESOME demos FTW).

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Well, we'll all find out whether or not dereks new game on the 360 will be good based on how much bill gates likes derek rimming him.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
He is justified in his Paranoia (a little known fact that CYLONS have infiltrated Earth years ago and took the form of popular Vending Machines in order to assassinate him and a few other people almost as brilliant as him, Shhhhh!, You didn't hear that from me!  ;)

He just needs a really good marketing plan and THRONGS will flock to the latest piece of crap...
may I suggest the following? (A link from the archives apparently got rediscovered and posted on Youtube, so this one's for all the Newbies here...)  ;7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5YlR07nGYM&feature=PlayList&p=08B12BA0ED6B66E6&index=3
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
oh, ffs, read the damn thread in full before responding to it.
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Did derek fart really try to come up with this desktop commander s h i t? Or was that his codename for his win98se powered machine on which he got work done on, and he just didn't want people to know that he was running win98se? Damn, if it was that bad for him, maybe he could have at least promoted microsoft, or used linux, that's if he so paranoid he wanted people to think he was actually using magnificent state of the art software only he could posess...or possibly he himself created :drevil: ...we will never know because derek fart is just so f u c k ing smart, and we're just a bunch of idiots huh :lol:
You know derek really is just like a fart, i mean wherever he is, people just want him to leave the room so it can air out :lol: But you see he more than just farts, he means to only release a light tarty smell, but it ends up being a gamble where he s hits all over everyone because he thought he had a fart ;)
Did i sum up the derek experience good enough? I mean with the fashion of how angry he makes people around here is exactly in the same fashion as i just described above :lol:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 02:22:12 pm by S-99 »
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Y'know, some of the responses here make us look far, far worse than any egotistical game developer.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Did derek fart really try to come up with this desktop commander s h i t? Or was that his codename for his win98se powered machine on which he got work done on, and he just didn't want people to know that he was running win98se? Damn, if it was that bad for him, maybe he could have at least promoted microsoft, or used linux, that's if he so paranoid he wanted people to think he was actually using magnificent state of the art software only he could posess...or possibly he himself created :drevil: ...we will never know because derek fart is just so f u c k ing smart, and we're just a bunch of idiots huh :lol:
You know derek really is just like a fart, i mean wherever he is, people just want him to leave the room so it can air out :lol: But you see he more than just farts, he means to only release a light tarty smell, but it ends up being a gamble where he s hits all over everyone because he thought he had a fart ;)
Did i sum up the derek experience good enough? I mean with the fashion of how angry he makes people around here is exactly in the same fashion as i just described above :lol:

Err...that's more fart jokes in that one block of text than I think in the entire Family Guy season. :p

And no, desktop commander wasn't real, and Getter...wow, lol. Someone's a little late into the thread :p

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
Y'know, some of the responses here make us look far, far worse than any egotistical game developer.

yeah, it's seriously not funny anymore.
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
If he wants to act like an 8 year old, i think it's fair to be back at him like a 3 year old. After that, it's just fart jokes. With the mainstay of them being aimed at he doesn't gamble very good, i mean he shat all over us, and look where his gamble got him with the third unmentioning sequel of fs2 :lol:

SMBFD

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
If he wants to act like an 8 year old, i think it's fair to be back at him like a 3 year old. After that, it's just fart jokes. With the mainstay of them being aimed at he doesn't gamble very good, i mean he shat all over us, and look where his gamble got him with the third unmentioning sequel of fs2 :lol:

Why is it ok to act exactly the same, if not worse, as someone whose behaviour you're condemning?  If you think Derek Smart acts in an egotistical, taunting and immature way, why copy him?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
You're missing the point, aldo.

HE STARTED!!11!

:lol:

<yes, this message is sarcasm-saturated.>
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Well you see, i'm not quite being like the guy who doesn't know the difference between a fart or a shart that was actually threatening the fso with an fs license acquisition and sucky production of the third unmentioning sequel to fs2 (even though V would probably never let it happen).
I'm not being like him in that sense :lol:
Mainly showing that he has a sucky attitude and it is sadly funny, so i will portray it that way. He's not only the guy who threatened to make a sucky fs2 sequel, he's also the guy who thought he had to fart in the hlp, but he sharted instead. And yes were still laughing at his mess, and especially all his new ones he's making (if he just stayed away from dairy and hot sauce he wouldn't have such the confusion in his colon).
But for some reason he's still our favorite lactose-intolerant-hot-sauce-chugging-imsmartandeveryoneelseintheworldisdumb idiot. The very starting of this thread is to make fun of derek. Everyone's made fun of his really sucky games, and made fun of him in an attempt to get a really sucky game onto a really good console, made fun of him for his past attempts, made fun of him for his references to us, and especially made fun of him for how he thinks moderately ok gameplay with a pretty bad story will get millions to love his game for years.
I hope that lactose-intolerant-hot-sauce-chugging-imsmartandeveryoneelseintheworldisdumb idiot never wins his own lottery :D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 10:11:11 pm by S-99 »

SMBFD

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
You could at least make fun in a, y'know, funny way.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
The way I see it, Derek Smart manages to make an ass of himself most of the time very well on his own, I don't need to bother.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
The way I see it, Derek Smart manages to make an ass of himself most of the time very well on his own, I don't need to bother.

Well said!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions