Author Topic: Consilii  (Read 26814 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Mefustae(probably it was him)told me that you coders accept suggestions and proposals. I'm not a coder so I don't know if something is easy, difficult but possible or impossible to do.

1)I have already talked about it elsewhere. Increase the max number of asteroids;
2)Milliseconds. Many interesting issues(like Axem's play a specific sound in 1/2 seconds or a great nanojump effect)could be solved;
3)Karajorma's team loadout option. I found it interesting and I guess he needs some help with it;
4)More cutscene SEXPs. You know that there is a flood of threads dedicated to cutscenes, expecially to the lack of zoom-in/out effects and camera movements;
5)Remove some FRED limits. The max numer of ships is 100. Can you increase that limit? It's not just for BoE missions. There are blockades, where the number of ships arriving is progressive, and I'm limited on it. The are Space Installations in full activity, where I can only put half the number of cargo units,freighters ad sentries I want;
6)An option that allows me to modify not only the hitpoints but also other specs of a ship,like the max speed. It could be useful;
7)INF SCP uses 250 ships. Shouldn't FS Open?;
8)This one is really stupid...something that allows you to select which microsoft voice use for a specified message or persona;
9)Supernova-start. Cool, but I would like to change the text that appears in the screen with something else, if possible. What a planet or gigantic warship is destroyed, there's a similar effect. I would like to change the text with stuff like 'shockwave incoming' or "massive energy release spotted";
10)The show-subtitle SEXPs can show up only a sentence limited in length. It could display a normal message from the message box that could be longer;
11)Fix the problems with the show-subtitle SEXP. Even if I select the center of the screen as coords, the subtitle appears elsewhere. I know that this problems is connected to a normal screen option, but...;

EDIT:I made a terrible mistake....move this thread please. I'm sorry.  :blah:

12)I'm having problems with add-background-bitmap. Some bitmaps don't appear while others do. Why? Is this problem related to a SEXP bug?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 11:25:35 am by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: Suggestions? Here you are!
As Taylor has often said, many if not all limits within FSO will be made dynamic by 3.7, so the ship limit thing won't matter.

In regards to FRED limits, there's a few things I'd like FRED to stop *****ing about.  One, is the number of ships per wing.  I'm not saying, let it make 12 or something, but FS can handle 6 ships in a wing, it just complains if there are more than 4 in a player wing (Alpha, Beta, Gamma, or custom).  Also, it would be nice if it let you select "NONE" as an option for player primaries or secondaries, without a warning message.  There's also the thing about starting wing orders.  If Alpha wing has orders to do one thing, FRED will complain if Beta wing has different orders.

Another cool option would be (I know, I've said this before) variable density nebulae.  Now, this can be accomplished through one of 3 ways, each bringing a greater degree of flexibility to mission design capabilities, but also an increasing load on the coder for the feature.  For starters, thanks to objecttypes.tbl, we can designate the fog obscuring distance, but this will affect all nebulae in all missions bound to that objecttypes table file.  What I'd like to see, is perhaps a slider in FRED, which adjusts the nebular density within that mission only.  The slider would control a multiplier which either increases or the density factor, applied to to all ship classes.  For example, if set to 2, all nebular draw distances (even if its going off the hard-coded defaults) would reduce by half, so things would get obscured at half the distance, as number 2 indicates twice the density of the nebula.  On the other hand, setting it to 0.1 would mean that the nebula is only a tenth as dense as the default, as applied to all classes.  To take it up a notch, if this were to be accompanied by a set-nebular-density sexp, one could set up a series of waypoints, and calculate the player's distance from them at any one point in time, and have it stored in a variable, which would be used to constantly increase or decrease the nebular density depending on where the player is within the nebula.  Add to that use of ship-invisible and lightning sexps, and one can create some more sensor obscuring regions.  The third level, of this request, would be a more involved system of controlling in-mission nebular density changes, but with something in the background editor, so its more like the often-requested definable parameters to nebulae, making them fully enter and exit capable, without complex events and waypoints.  Personally, I thing the 2nd level is at least more easily doable, as the 3rd level would also require significant changes to the background editor interface.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 11:50:09 pm by Trivial Psychic »
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Kaine

yay my turn!

Could we get an option to "Use models for ship selection" without using the weapon models for weapon selection? i kinda prefer the little videos and images over the rotating models  :nod:

oh and an option to put boxes around all ships on screen, selected or not. just reckon it would be a cool effect, even have a key for "highlight ships" that shows boxes around all ships in view (within a certain range?) when held down or toggled.

cheers!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You can use the hotkeys for that last one. So many people ignore that feature :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Guess I'll add a few.

How about a better server interface.  Its nice to see the server name, ping,  and game being played but how about IP, version / build, players, rank allowed, open/closed, password.  Maybe a highlight or right click info box? 

Same on FS2netD side

Is there a random sexp that is actually random during mission not just determined before? 

That knock option that was in 1.3.  Of course it should be an option on the server side. 

Configurable info screen when you join the server.  Something where you can put the general rules so you don't have to type them for the newbies every time.  Would also be good for standalone so you could put host server/squad name and website info. 

Only valid missions flag.  Another good one for standalone.  You can keep your other missions and test stuff but only allow the server to show the valid missions to prevent crashes.

Wow thought I had more than that.  Will probably think of them as soon as I hit the sack.

No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'm not ignoring the rest. They're pretty interesting ideas :)

Is there a random sexp that is actually random during mission not just determined before? 

Yep. Rand will spit out the same number every time it's used but rand-multiple will give you a new one every time. In addition for playtesting purposes you can seed both SEXPs so that they spit out the same sequence of numbers. Makes playtesting a lot easier
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 05:12:53 am by karajorma »

Add to that list: Thrust vectoring subsystems aka the WC Vampire and Panther  :D
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Well, I think this thread can now be rightfully called "Wish List for Freespace Open Development".  :p
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
5)Remove some FRED limits. The max numer of ships is 100. Can you increase that limit? It's not just for BoE missions. There are blockades, where the number of ships arriving is progressive, and I'm limited on it. The are Space Installations in full activity, where I can only put half the number of cargo units,freighters ad sentries I want;

I ran into this recently too. The mission is not really a BOE and just has a lot of cargo containers and other inanimate objects in it.

It might be better to have a limit on the submodels instead of the number of ships (there might be a limit on those already, not sure), which will for the most part take varying ship sizes into account.

2)Milliseconds. Many interesting issues(like Axem's play a specific sound in 1/2 seconds or a great nanojump effect)could be solved;

To add to this, all we really need is a variant of is-event-true with a delay specified in ms.

11)Fix the problems with the show-subtitle SEXP. Even if I select the center of the screen as coords, the subtitle appears elsewhere. I know that this problems is connected to a normal screen option, but...;

Agreed. The subtitles are currently quite useless since they appear in different sizes and places depending on what resolution you're using.

Since this looks like a general feature request thread, I'll add a few things that have been on my mind recently:

1: Modifying play-sound-from-file to support multiple sounds at once. Even a maximum of two simultaneous sounds would be very useful.

2: A way to override some of the model parameters in the table files, specifically the mass, FOV and MOI values. Currently, the only way to edit these is to alter the model file itself, which becomes fairly clumsy when you need to do it for several ships and end up with many duplicate copies of models with only these things changed.

3: get-primary-weapon and get-secondary-weapon operators. Pretty self-explanatory, although they would return string variables unlike most of the existing sexps. I tried to simulate this for specific missiles using get-secondary-ammo, but haven't been able to make it fully work.

4: Text color tags in debriefings. I think I brought this up once in the past, but IIRC one of the coders said it was surprisingly hard to do. In any case, I might as well throw it in here. :p

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
3: get-primary-weapon and get-secondary-weapon operators. Pretty self-explanatory, although they would return string variables unlike most of the existing sexps. I tried to simulate this for specific missiles using get-secondary-ammo, but haven't been able to make it fully work.

The problem is we don't actually have a string return type. The game largely fakes it when you use string variables. Adding a proper string return type is something I want to do now that 3.6.9 is out.

Add to the list  :p
Power up primaries, like for beam weapons...

Uses: big cannons like WC's Fleet plasma cannon, the Dragons fusion cannon and phase transit cannon, Homeworlds Siege Cannon, and couldn't forget Descent's Fusion cannon.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The problem is we don't actually have a string return type. The game largely fakes it when you use string variables. Adding a proper string return type is something I want to do now that 3.6.9 is out.
That's something I want to do too, but we would have to be really careful about how we do it. :) Regardless of whoever does it, we'd probably have to talk about it a bit first.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It's fine with me if you want it.

I won't have time for it for at least a month or so anyway.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Other suggestions (they were been built up by Backslash but there's no news about them):

+ Adding distance info and aiming points in HUD for multitargets. Backslash even posted some beta exes (which also included a handy "Multitarget Target's Wing" command).

+ Enhacing multitarget system as explained in this thread.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 01:59:30 pm by ARSPR »
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Yeah...getting rid of some limits is a must.

Half of my ships don't appear in FRED (the last few in the file), as the ship.tbl appears too big..and I didn't even add that many ships.
This is frustrating....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Axem

I have quite a few requests, but most have to do with the lua scripting system. I guess I could bug WMC personally with those. :p

But here are some non-lua related scripting requests.

• Allow the player ship to send messages without FRED yelling (its slightly annoying)
  • Have an arrival delay between ships in wings. Like how raiders arrive in BSG. Its sorta silly seeing 3 fighters arrive in unison.
  • Make a ship fly to an offset of a waypoint. So you could have a convoy of 5 ships using only 1 waypoint path
  • A SEXP subobject animations trigger

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Hmm...

1) Burst-firing weapons... xD
2) Allow non-beam primary weapons to use looped sounds? (Comes in particularly handy for people doing Minigun-type weapons in my opinion)
3) Secondary weapons obey energy consumption figures, if a value other than zero is set? (Kinda forgot what this was for... :nervous:)
4) MW4-styled sticky beams (might be tricky to use though)... and generally make the beam weapons obey energy consumption figures in a simple manner, perhaps either per 'tick' or per 'shot'. Direct drain from the gun energy...
5) Salvo launch? Someone made a build that made this possible but I never tried it... and I never managed to find it. And perhaps restrict its use in a way or another, to stop making bombers too uber? (ALPHA STRIKE!!!!)

I second Scooby_Doo's powered-up primaries too... as well as the dynamic ship list.

That multitarget thing looks interesting... would that "increase" the usefulness of swarm/corkscrew weapons via distributed fire? Like an Infyrno or a Piranha, only you don't launch a starter bomb, and you can choose what targets you want the individual missiles to track perhaps? But it seems complicated when put into practice... :shaking:

Just my input. :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 11:04:34 pm by asyikarea51 »
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I have quite a few requests, but most have to do with the lua scripting system. I guess I could bug WMC personally with those. :p

But here are some non-lua related scripting requests.

• Allow the player ship to send messages without FRED yelling (its slightly annoying)
  • Have an arrival delay between ships in wings. Like how raiders arrive in BSG. Its sorta silly seeing 3 fighters arrive in unison.
  • Make a ship fly to an offset of a waypoint. So you could have a convoy of 5 ships using only 1 waypoint path
  • A SEXP subobject animations trigger
1- Can be done by placing a "#" before the player's shipname.  Its the same way that Command doesn't actually have a ship listed as sending its messages.
2-I could see this being useful
3-Definitely agree.  I hate it when a wing of freighters get all up-close and personal with each other because they're trying to follow a single waypoint.  The only way I've gotten around it is to have the ships stop or warpout some distance back from the final waypoint, but that tends to screw up the "time to waypoints" display thing.  For warpouts, it might also help if there was an option to disable pre-waypoint-completion slowdown.  Then, if a wing is supposed to warpout at the end of the waypoints, they'll still be going top speed when they warp.  Might also be useful if the departure cues allowed for the option of replacing the wing name with "each ship in wing", so as they reach the end of the waypoints (or the point adjacent to it as dictated by their wing offset position), the lead ship will warp out, followed by the 2 ships behind that, and so on.  It would look something like this:

this:

are-waypoints-done-delay
-Omega
-LetsGetOuttaHere

becomes this:

are-waypoints-done-delay
-<each ship in wing> (which is automatically assumed to be the wing to which the departure cue is being applied)
-LetsGetOuttaHere

4-I haven't really gotten into scripted animations, but I assume that'd be very useful.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Kaine

how about giving waypoints a "distance buffer" property? ('x' for this discussion) the engine then checks if the ship going to that waypoint is with in 'x' units of the waypoint. that way if you needed 1 ship to go to a very specific point in space you could set 'x' to 1, but if you've got 5 fighters going to 1 point you could set it to 50 or 200 for capships (keep in mind these are throwaway values, i have no idea what the units of measurement and scale are in FRED)

Offline Axem

1- Can be done by placing a "#" before the player's shipname.  Its the same way that Command doesn't actually have a ship listed as sending its messages.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. But its just a minor inconvenience that I'd like to see gone. Especially when you're making a campaign with a chatter box Alpha 1.