19 (7.5%)
GTF Myrmidon
14 (5.5%)
GTF Ares
43 (16.9%)
GTF Ulysses
8 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 252

Author Topic: Favorite terran fighter  (Read 97732 times)

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Re: Favorite terran fighter
Whoa,

:necro:

Since you're new here, its ok, but in the future, please try to avoid bumping month-old threads.

Offline Fenrir

• ?
I`m curious. How old does a thread have to be for it to be taboo to bump it, anyway?

like, if the poster reeeeally wanted to discuss this topic, should he have simply made another thread, despite the inevitable complaints of "omg we did this last month"?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I think it's always better to post on old threads rather than creating new ones unless you're looking for something that derails from the main topic.

Look at Campaign threads in Missions and Campaigns, people can't create new threads simply because the specific campaign thread they looked for has relatively old posts.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

...people can't create new threads simply because the specific campaign thread they looked for has relatively old posts.

Actually, they can.  They just don't, which is pretty silly, since it becomes difficult to sift through enormous threads for older/popular campaigns, when looking for information on a specific issue related to that campaign.

Whoa,

Since you're new here, its ok, but in the future, please try to avoid bumping month-old threads.
Dude, it was only a month.

Doesn't have to be older to be a necro?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Actually, they can.  They just don't, which is pretty silly, since it becomes difficult to sift through enormous threads for older/popular campaigns, when looking for information on a specific issue related to that campaign.

Yes for game issues, no for plot questions and related things...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Oh for the love of God, can we please stop discussing why and when to post in month-old threads? None of you are the ****in' post police except for the admins and mods. If there is a necro post, they will say something.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 12:37:11 am by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
If it's someone bumping a random thread for the hell of it, or one that's something like five years old, I'd step right up to lock it.  But if a few-month-old thread gets a bump that results in renewed worthwhile discussion, I don't see much of a problem with letting it slide (unless a particular poster makes a habit of doing so).  That's this mod's opinion, at any rate.  Besides, this thread already had a much larger bump several pages back that resulted in renewed interest, so there's no reason the same can't happen again.

Offline Fenrir

• ?
Back on topic...

The Perseus is my fighter of choice. It`s fun dodging missiles without even having to use countermeasures, and I like how it can carry a decent amount of missiles. I do concede that the Valkyrie is also an awesome fighter, however. I swear that you can hold that afterburner for more than 5 seconds or something. It`s crazy.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The Perseus is the Terran Dragon if you ask me. The GTF Pegasus may be faster and more maneuverable, but it's too weak in terms of hull strength to compare.

I prefer a slower craft; makes aiming easier. This is why I prefer the Ursa over every other bomber class except the Sekhmet, and the Ares over every other combat fighter. ;)

By the way, how do you do a Necrothreadageded beam?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Perseus is the Terran Dragon if you ask me. The GTF Pegasus may be faster and more maneuverable, but it's too weak in terms of hull strength to compare.
I say the Ulysses is the Terran Dragon. The Ulysses is more maneuverable and it has a smaller target profile than the Perseus and it also has the same amount of primary firepower (in dogfights, missiles don't matter as much as lasers, I find).

But the Ulysses sucks even when a Fenris or something big jumps in; I'd take the Perseus anytime.

I prefer a slower craft; makes aiming easier. This is why I prefer the Ursa over every other bomber class except the Sekhmet, and the Ares over every other combat fighter. ;)
If you have trouble aiming with faster fighters, you can always tone down the sensitivity or something (do you use a joystick or a mouse?). And I agree, the Sekhmet and the Ares rule (I actually found the last mission of the Procyon Insurgency easier with the Sekhmet than the Amun Mark 2).

By the way, how do you do a Necrothreadageded beam?

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
I personally like the Perseus too. Nice blend of speed and firepower; plus it can really move. Although, if there are capital ships, I'd take an Erynies. 8 primaries can put the hurt on most cruisers, even if they're all Subach HL-7s. Plus its secondary banks are respectable. My only irritation is that its side target profile is as long as a limo.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Perseus is decent enough for neutralizing capital ships; it can carry the Treb which is good for disabling turrets and subsystems. But if the Erinyes is available I'd probably take it for most missions, for obvious reasons.

Offline Iranon

Hmm, I wonder about the role of bias in our assessments... for example, it seems like Volition tried to put people off the Pegasus with the tech room description when all it lacks is firepower (2 Prometheus S at the most). Its durability is only a smidgeon below other Terran light fighters, more than offset by the tiny target profile and faster recharge rate (50% more power output than a Perseus or Ulysses) even before you take into account speed and manoeverability. Most people seem to completely ignore energy output, at least for ships that don't have 4-gun banks and Kayser compatibility.

Terran command seems to approve the oddest of ships... the Perseus is disappointingly slow for an interceptor (while being durable enough for extended dogfights), the Myrmidon is too sluggish for its stated primary role, the Artemis suffers from extremely poor gun placement which is terrible in a Bomber that appears optimised for some dogfighting ability, the Boanerges is a big fat target without even a turret to defend itself...
The Erinyes and Perseus I can accept as crafts meant to fulfil a variety of roles, but the others seem poorly designed.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
IMO quite a few of the new FS2 ships weren't as good as the old FS1 ships.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
I always thought the Apollo was a pretty good fighter; fast for its size, and respectable firepower. And its rear and front target profile is pretty flat.

I had some problems with the Valkyrie's primary placements; the ones on the ends of the wings. More a personal thing than anything ...

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
They weren't on the ends of the wings, they were actually in the middle. I found them easy to aim with.

Does anyone here think the Apollo was better than the Myrmidon?

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
*wave* Me. But the Myrmidon has plus points in secondaries. Especially when you have no bombers available, only Helioses and Myrmidons. :D :D :D

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
They weren't on the ends of the wings, they were actually in the middle. I found them easy to aim with.

Does anyone here think the Apollo was better than the Myrmidon?

If a Perseus is not present, I'd choose the Apollo. So yea, it's better than the Myrmidon ( or any other fighter other than the Perseus ) in my opinion.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
*wave* Me. But the Myrmidon has plus points in secondaries. Especially when you have no bombers available, only Helioses and Myrmidons. :D :D :D
I still don't accept that :v: ever intended the Myrmidon to be able to carry the Helios.