Author Topic: No Supernova?  (Read 55670 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
That was hilarious...     I can't really find any problems with it either; that theory is just as plausible as the rest of them. Just goes to show how little we know about the Shivans.

But didn't the Ancient records show that they were also destroyed by the Shivans? Or maybe their destruction was for the same reason...hmm...  

[This message has been edited by CP5670 (edited 01-03-2002).]

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Originally posted by mikhael:
That URL doesn't eem to exist anymore, Sandwich.

Darned URL typos!!!!!! Argh! I wrote Goecities instead of geocities. *hits wall with head repeatedly*

------------------
America, stand assured that Israel truly understands what you are going through.

Know how to use Rhino3D? Want to put your ships into Freespace 2? You've come to the right place!

"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Grey Wolf

Just figured I wasn't going to let anyone forget this  

Meanwhile, Lt. Cmdr. Grey Wolf has his hands full....
GW: Petrarch, calm down!
Petrarch: (Holding fingers like guns) Boom! Boom! Boom!
Alpha 2: I'm out of missiles! Send in the support ship!
Alpha 3: My ship is coming apart at the seams! Send in support!
Command: Support will be there in a moment, pilot.
Alpha 2: Damn it! Command let Bosch escape! Aaaah! (Runs into wall again)
GW: Is this what I get for not putting a lock on the Bosch Beer and the Spacecrack?
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue

Originally posted by venom2506:
Does collapsing the node collapse the tunnel too?

Not precisely. If you look at the final Command briefing by Admiral Petrarch showing a simulation of the jump nodes being collapsed by the Bastion, you'll see the subspace "tunnel" between the nodes doing a funny jiggle then disappearing into nothingness.

But the end result is the same.  
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Starwing

I would rather think that there is no distinction between the tunnel and the nodes.
A subspace tunnel is something that connects two nodes, just like a rope connectes the two ends of the rope  

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Er... the nodes are just points in space where subspace connections to the regular universe at two points are strongest. There is no actual "node", just subspace and real space.

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
correct, a subspace node is just an area where a subspace tunnel, much like a wormhole, opens.  Ships can actually travel between stars in subspace without use of these so called jumpnodes, it would only take much longer, the jumpnodes are simply shortcuts in the ripples in the fabric of subspace.

------------------
158th Banshee Squadron www.geocities.com/sgchicken  
Into the Night Campaign www.geocities.com/ltnarol

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Well, not quite. It's a quite arbitrary thing, makes almost no sense if you try to base it on real-life physics... basically, the only adequate description of subspace is contained in the FS Reference Bible, and even that isn't all that useful...

------------------
The title says it all.

Starwing

Originally posted by Stryke 9:
Er... the nodes are just points in space where subspace connections to the regular universe at two points are strongest. There is no actual "node", just subspace and real space.

That's what I said. The nodes are nothing. They are just the ends of the subspace connection between two systems.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
So what happens if you have a ship in subspace and you detonate a ship in both nodes at the same time?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Kitsune

Heh, the only flaw with that is from FS1, explain the hallfight scene?

------------------
~Space Kitsuné
6-tailed modder.
~Space Kitsuné
6-Tailed RPG Nut.

"Why the hell don't we have any missles on this damn boat?!"
"But Sir, we have Tempests, Rockeyes, and unknown bombs."
"Like I said ensign, 'Why don't we have any missles on this damn boat?!"

"I went to a fight last night and a hockey game broke out."  -Groucho Marx

Starwing

Originally posted by karajorma:
So what happens if you have a ship in subspace and you detonate a ship in both nodes at the same time?

It would disappear into non-existance. (He, he. That is actually from some Star Wars book. They say that would happen if you drop something out of your ship in hyperspace)

Originally posted by Kitsune:
Heh, the only flaw with that is from FS1, explain the hallfight scene?

Are you talking to me? What does Hallfight have to do with subspace?  

Offline Grey Wolf

I have this sudden urge to bump my thread....
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
oh now i know where your title came from.... never bothered to click the link. but still
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Kitsune

Hmm, well to drag up a conversation long dead...

No, the hallfight reference was to Neon and his long post there and how we talked via plasma bursts and stuff.
~Space Kitsuné
6-Tailed RPG Nut.

"Why the hell don't we have any missles on this damn boat?!"
"But Sir, we have Tempests, Rockeyes, and unknown bombs."
"Like I said ensign, 'Why don't we have any missles on this damn boat?!"

"I went to a fight last night and a hockey game broke out."  -Groucho Marx

Offline Anaz

well, it still worked, the shivans came bouncing down the tunnel and said 'HI' via shoulder mounted cannon....

either that, or thats how shivans normally communicate with eachother...thats why they don't have mouths...
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Originally posted by WMCoolmon

Supposed to? You mean it didn't? And GTVA Command has knwn about this all along? So it must be a conspiracy? And because the Shivans will come there will be headz? So Vasudans will be happy? So an alliance with the Shivans would be good? So that...  

[This message has been edited by WMCoolmon (edited 12-25-2001).]

The movie you get if you survive says that th Nerid destroyed the node, otherwise, anyone in vega could see the capella node...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
You CAN survive a supernova if you cause another supernova to be triggered whilst the first supernova is uh, supernovaing... the second will kill you, but not if its 2-3 hours away...:D
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Grey Wolf

Why, and how, would you cause the second supernova?