Author Topic: C&C3  (Read 27685 times)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Yeah, he certainly has hung in well.

I find myself thinking it should be possible to mod the game so walls can be placed. I mean they're in there as a unit in the game (they make up some of your pre-built bases in missions) so I reckon there's a way to make building them possible.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Just finished the GDI campaign.

The last mission got pretty frantic. Managed to mostly knock Nod out of the fight but didn't have the forces left to push past the final Obelisk guarding the Tiberium lab thingie, so I'm sitting here with four Heroic-rank Predators, three Heroic-rank Pitbulls, and some misc. infantry squads. And my last refinery just got hit by a Tiberium Catalyst missile. I don't have the money to build another one. My only hope is that the Ion Cannon Control and powerplants live long enough to get off two shots at the Control Node.

Somehow, despite the rather formidible best efforts of the Scrin, I did it. I'm fairly sure the control blew up just after I called down the second strike, but I did it. Ack. I'm curious, though, if anyone's used the Liquid Tiberium Bomb to end it.

"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I did...I saved when I got it and then finished hte gaem normally, and after that I used da bomb.

*SPILOERS*

[spolier]
Untold millions die but the war is over. The "president" hypes the media and you and him become heroes. the general ritires as he can't stand your face and can't touch you since you're a hero (altough he would courtmarshal you))
[/spoiler]

I'm almsot done with the Nod campaign and ya know waht:
Spoiler:
Kane lives. He wasn't in the temple - actually he planned to provoke hte GDI inot fireing hte Ion Cannon as it was the only force powerfull enough to serve as catalyst to create liquid tiberium. He belives those towers are portals to the galaxy and he executes that blonde chick from BSG...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Picked this up today and I've had nothing but fun while playing it. :yes:
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Hmm, does it run a little slow for anyone else? Like when I build the ion cannon, the count down timer doesn't count down with real time seconds, but slower than real time seconds. Is this normal? I can't find the game speed in options... is it just cause I have a slower computer? It's not game-breaking but it's a little annoying when I think "sweet, ion cannon ready in just seven minutes!" but in reality I have to wait nearly eleven or twelve.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
How come the NOD commando can kill the GDI one so esily?

I mean  - the NOD one is a chick in a tight red suit (that reveals more than it covers) with a pistol. the GDI one is a high-tech ful body armor and with a large rapid-fire railgun. Phueeeeeese... :rolleyes:

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
The NOD commando does kick ass.

I have a big problem with the technology differences between units and stationary structures though. The NOD/GDI commandos can literally mow down infantry at a distance and at speed. The anti-infantry structures for both sides take so much longer to do the same job.

Similarly, the GDI can build a Mammoth tank but their mounted gun (not the sonic one, the other one) is utterly horrible.

That just seems... wrong.

The game is excellent, though I would have made a few balance issues a little different. What I really miss is that you can't build walls anymore. Not that they were so much useful, but it always made my base look complete

Who said they weren't useful?!  I won many a game in Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert using only a handful of units and sandbags!  Back when you could build off of walls, you'd just build a chain of walls to the enemy base, seal them in, and pick off their men and buildings till they ran out of money.  The AI never attacked walls, so it was really easy to do.  And then it's fun to build an engineer, put him on hold with 1 second left of build time, place a barracks in the enemy base (building off the walls, of course) and cap the construction yard.

The tubes in the CABAL bunkers are the Biological part of CABAL- Computer Assisted Biological Artificial Lifeform, IIRC. That Kane was a part of that is up for debate.

The actual thing is "Computer-Assisted Biologically-Augmented Lifeform.  And at the end of Firestorm, it shows both CABAL and Kane alive still.  Here's my theory on what happened after Firestorm:

Kane was on the brink of death, so to save him, Cabal had Kane's brain connected to the bio-circuitry of Cabal.  With the way they talk in that endgame cutscene, Cabal talks about "Your vision has mutated out of control" etc. or something like that.  Kane starts by saying "My" and then they both change what they say to "Our," and with their seperate voices, they say "Our directives must be... reassessed..." completely in sync.  Kane got added to Cabal and their personalities merged.  I believe the other bodies in the cylinders were just brains never exposed to the outside world, just used as circuitry for Cabal.  Kane was different, having his own personality and experiences.

I haven't played CNC3 yet, IDK if it blasts any of this out of the water, but that's my ideas on it.
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The NOD commando does kick ass.

I have a big problem with the technology differences between units and stationary structures though. The NOD/GDI commandos can literally mow down infantry at a distance and at speed. The anti-infantry structures for both sides take so much longer to do the same job.

Similarly, the GDI can build a Mammoth tank but their mounted gun (not the sonic one, the other one) is utterly horrible.

That just seems... wrong.

Maby the deliberatly left a few holes to fill in with an expansion.

But yeah, commandos kill infantry with amazing efficiency. I still hate the NOD commando tough.

Offline Grawr

• Morituri Nolumus Mori.

The tubes in the CABAL bunkers are the Biological part of CABAL- Computer Assisted Biological Artificial Lifeform, IIRC. That Kane was a part of that is up for debate.

The actual thing is "Computer-Assisted Biologically-Augmented Lifeform.  And at the end of Firestorm, it shows both CABAL and Kane alive still.  Here's my theory on what happened after Firestorm:

Kane was on the brink of death, so to save him, Cabal had Kane's brain connected to the bio-circuitry of Cabal.  With the way they talk in that endgame cutscene, Cabal talks about "Your vision has mutated out of control" etc. or something like that.  Kane starts by saying "My" and then they both change what they say to "Our," and with their seperate voices, they say "Our directives must be... reassessed..." completely in sync.  Kane got added to Cabal and their personalities merged.  I believe the other bodies in the cylinders were just brains never exposed to the outside world, just used as circuitry for Cabal.  Kane was different, having his own personality and experiences.

I haven't played CNC3 yet, IDK if it blasts any of this out of the water, but that's my ideas on it.

Thanks for clearing that accronym up, I thought I did part of it wrong... it's been ages since I've played FS campaign, and until you mentioned it, I'd totally forgotten that little bit of dialogue. Certainly adds a large degree of background. As far as C&C3 goes- nothing backs it up, but nothing invalidates or retcons it, either, from the information I gathered through the campaigns.
The optimist sees a glass half full, the pessimist sees a glass half empty, and the engineer sees a glass twice as big as it needs to be.

Yeah, no problem.

Hey, the whole story, supposedly as Westwood intended in the beginning, can be found at Gamespot or Gamefaqs.  Look for the Story FAQ for Tiberian Sun.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Does anyone else think that GDI reporter's acting is like that of a programmer? He behaves like he doesn't remember a single line he is supposed to say.

Who said they weren't useful?!  I won many a game in Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert using only a handful of units and sandbags!  Back when you could build off of walls, you'd just build a chain of walls to the enemy base, seal them in, and pick off their men and buildings till they ran out of money.  The AI never attacked walls, so it was really easy to do.  And then it's fun to build an engineer, put him on hold with 1 second left of build time, place a barracks in the enemy base (building off the walls, of course) and cap the construction yard.

No kidding... :D

This only worked in the original C&C though. They shot down walls in RA. Of course, in the the other games the AI units couldn't tell the difference between your walls and their own, and just knocked either one down if it was in their way.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Gotta love the map in that screenshot. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

ROFL that's a lotta tanks!  I'm guessing that's a Covert Ops mission, right?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yes, it's the Deceit one. The traffic jam would have gone all the way to their base, but as you can see their harvester got stuck in it too and they couldn't build any more units.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
How does one go about dealing with that horde of tanks when the time comes? Artillery? Nukes? Or can you attack them from behind, conventionally, and they won't respond. I've forgotten how the C&C AI works. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
How does one go about dealing with that horde of tanks when the time comes? Artillery? Nukes? Or can you attack them from behind, conventionally, and they won't respond. I've forgotten how the C&C AI works. :p
When something like that happened....it got stupid and forgot to think. So if you managed to do something like that you could wipe their base out and then turn around and just overwhelm them one at a time.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

lol

I just build walls around thier base and keep them from getting units or money.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator

I built a line of seven or eight obelisks and then sold one sandbag to let them flow in. SSM launchers would work too, but they would take forever to blow up everything.

Although it's probably just as fast to pick them off from the other side. You'll notice that many of them are pointing towards the same location; they're hellbent on destroying a transport helicopter in my base for some reason and just ignore all other targets in favor of that, even if attacked.