Author Topic: HTL Typhon  (Read 18633 times)

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
The BoxArt IS TPs shot, so you know... its a sideview render of that same Typhon model :P

Tbh that shot\boxart should b taken into account BUT add somthin of your own sa well I think... no matter how good it is, the original Typhon is very simple model\design, so guess that should b changed
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

That's actually what I don't like about the concept shot - it's very different to the bland brown Typhon we've had for a decade.  It seems quite 'busy' next to the simple, clean lines of other Vasudan ships.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
So, which is more "canon" - the in-game graphics, or the concept art?  I'd say concept art - the in-game graphics are what :v: was limited to because of time, cost, and technological limitations.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
on the other hand... remember that concepts are not final... lots of stuff is changed when passing from concept to actual model

however, I dont think the Vassie ships should stay "plain" anyways, but on that concept theres lots of blocky chunks that could be a bit more "vasudanish" on the htl model  :nod:
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Raven is a god.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
... They went through all that concept art work and then decided to make it plain, because they wanted to?
Ok

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
mby yes, mby not, guess well never know. they can have devided to make it plain dure to poly constraits as well, but like I said, we will never know...

but what I said above is the truth, in everything game\movie related: sketches are rough guides, nothing definitive. Just take a look at the concept art on the credits of FS1\2, and see how much some ships have changed from the sketch to model

Raven is a god.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
...True...but I don't think a 233MHz would handle a model implementation of the sketch.  :D
...but like I said, we will never know...
It's a long shot, but...
[email protected]

... They went through all that concept art work and then decided to make it plain, because they wanted to?
Ok

You've seen concept art for things like Star Wars, right?  Without knowing if they were simply throwing ideas around or working on finalised designs, there's no way of knowing if (for instance) the Shivan ships are 'supposed' to look like some of the very different concept art, or if that idea was abandoned for whatever reason.  I think it's deeply foolish to simply get anything ever produced by [V] and decide to somehow try and use it all.

The Typhon is completely different, of course, since it's on the boxart rather than being some wholly internal early sketch.  I think it looks a little 'busy', but it seems that's what [V] wanted us to see.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
On the other hand you gotta agree that that typhon doesnt look that right... has those blocky\ square bits which are rly out of place...

@Trash: use your imagination, do somthing cool and different... and nvm all that cannon stuff. We were "blessed by high polys by the SCP, so no point on making dull jobs when we HTLise FS ships... their there for our creativity now, not Vs

Raven is a god.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Well if someone is willing enough to help me texture I'll make both versions...

Not that I couldnt do it all by myself, but I got the HTL vbersion of the Shrike, Phoenix, Vas-Shiv hybrid destroyer, Demon,  Armageddon, Claymore, Lightbringer and several other models in varrying stages of develpoment (most are around 50%-80% complete, some only need texturing) so it's kinda stressing...
Not to mention that I have a campiagn to FRED and so on...

The first one (that just looks like a more detailed version fo the stock model) is allmost done. (the boxy things on the arms are separate object, I was jsut testing something when I made the screenshot)

After looking at that boxart I see some good things that could be implemented (mostly on the rear half of the ship), maby not all of it, as some do look a bit odd..
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Maybe that's the way to go?  All the differences seem to be additions, so concentrate on finishing the 'regular' one.  If you feel the need you could release a 'with knobs on' version.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
That looks so much better than any of the typhons now. That plain brown just sucks for the typhon really. Something more to add for color differentiation besides the only poop brown typhon.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline TrashMan

• FLAMES OF WAR
I'm now texturing and tewaking.. It prolly needs a better job than what I'm doing, but I guess will see. Won't be long now....

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
It looks bloated from the top.

Good texturing though. :):yes:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Rly, work some more on the model, your going in the right direction already, just dont call it a day, do more :)

Raven is a god.

Offline Harbinger of DOOM

• Three fries short of a Happy Meal.
aldo_14 ~ "The ego has landed."
an0n ~ "Wheee, I can spam and no-one will notice!"

It does look a bit bloated from the front - the dorsal slope to the nose seems to go down too far, and the docking arm 'waist' seem to be too high/thick.  However, the concept additions are great and I think you should use them. :)  Awesome work as usual.

Offline TrashMan

• FLAMES OF WAR
ARGH!

I went to merge the two halfs in 3D MAX and it messed up part of the texturing! Not a massive parts, but considerbale one..
Dang, I only wish I knew a way to merge two halfs seemlesly in TS :(

Hm....Mayhaps....yesss... I'm gonan try something...

EDIT: I followed the lines of the original typhon so it shouldn't be any "thicker".. Maby I should add more polys... the basic hull (no fins or antennas) is 2700 polygons merged  :confused:

And yet it looks very smmoth... dang I'm good! :D

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Dang you don't have over 80k polies yet! :P

J/k, but I dont think I can see any 'major' detail uppings on your model. Please carry on.

Offline neoterran

I think it's good that Trashman is being conservative for a change.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"