Author Topic: RELEASE: Relive the Glory Days with New Autopilot Feature  (Read 41913 times)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
RELEASE: Relive the Glory Days with New Autopilot Feature
The Wing Commander Saga team is happy to announce a breakthrough. We have finally found a way to implement Wing Commander-style autopilot sequences in Saga. Gone are the days of long, time-accelerated trips. Now, Saga has the ability to offer the flyby sequences that were a central part of the Wing Commander ethos, offering a much shorter wait time between nav points and also a cinematic flair that has always been a trademark of Wing Commander.

We have decided to make something special to showcase this new feature. We have created a loose remake of the first two missions in Wing Commander 3. Our demo package features the original voice-overs of Mark Hamil, Jason Bernard, and the other classic WC3 actors who were highlighted in the first two missions. Briefing and launch sequences are also included. You can grab the package here.

To install the WC 3 Autopilot Tech demo, unrar the file into the Prologue folder. Then, from within the game, go to the campaign select screen, select Autopilot Tech Demo, and then start the campaign by hitting the continue button.

We have also put together a video clip showcasing the new flyby sequence. You can get it here.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Re: RELEASE: Relive the Glory Days with New Autopilot Feature
The new autopilot is great, really, really great.

And I love the old cutscenes and missions in their new graphical glory.
* nutshell42 hugs you  :D

Offline JSeb

wow!!! incredible work... id pay so much to replay wing 3-4 in your engine...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Great work with those cutscenes; from the little I've seen of the WC games, you completely nailed the autopilot look.  Though, as a series newbie, I was rather amused by the sight of Mark Hamill conversing with what looked like a Sesame Street character. :p

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Sweet, you finally got it down. :D Will you be replacing those sequences in the Saga prologue with these?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Probably, no ETA on this patch yet though  :nervous:
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Gentlemen, I'm impressed. From my limited experience playing WC3, I think I can safely say this is the closest anyone can EVER get into recreating WC3, minus the whole "click to talk to someone" thing, and without writing a new engine.

[EDIT] Although I was disappointed that I couldn't see the TCS Victory fleet in the flyby though. :(

[EDIT2] Any chance you can set the delay so that you can still see the fleet until the camera pans to the left, and vice versa when you're coming back? ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 09:14:47 pm by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline KeldorKatarn

The flight sequence is generated so that is is practically in midflight. So it is not taking place where you start the autopilot nor where you arrive.. more like in the middle somewhere. That's why you don't see the victory.. but don't worry.. you'll see some capships in those sequences in the final release ;)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Actually, that's not the case at all, I ripped open the missions to take a look at how they did it. They used very clever use of SEXPs, and it didn't have anything to do with two ships in the EXTREME distance. ;)

Offline KeldorKatarn

Let's just say we've found more than one way to code this ;)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yes, Keldor is right, we have two ways of doing this. Though, I might say, if we could get 2 - 3 additional sexps, the whole thing would be much, much easier :)

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
Yes, Keldor is right, we have two ways of doing this. Though, I might say, if we could get 2 - 3 additional sexps, the whole thing would be much, much easier :)

hi,
nice work, looks cool :)
but maybe a bug, if i take the way home, every time the controls are look and i have to press alt+a to get free controls.

i think so a feature is a nice feature for FSO as well. i mean you can so make parted mission without the normal red alert, imho.
im there really hopefull *g*

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Which mission? Can you reproduce the problem? Did you wingman survive?

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

Which SEXPs?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
Which mission? Can you reproduce the problem? Did you wingman survive?

hi,
both missions, yes my wingmen`s survive and was only if i autopilot back to the carrier.

first time i had think, i had two times press alt+a, but in the second mission its was the same.
i moving on with max speed, and my controls are ingored, so i try to press alt+a again and i had controls back.
its not a big problem, but the first time its was surprising.

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline Cirdec_aka_Ace

• Veteran pilot
AFAIK, I'm going straight to test that new feature ! ;)

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Much easier would be good...the number of events you need to make this work are a bit nightmareish for me :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
well, what we need is a SEXP, that will disable physics - e.g. so that the ships willhave no inertia and will ignore acceleration/decel. delay. Right now ships "wiggle" a bit, when you use player's/ai ships. And caps can't accelelerate that fast.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline KeldorKatarn

Much easier would be good...the number of events you need to make this work are a bit nightmareish for me :)

Well, we have also a version that takes a few less SEXPs to activate, but more to work. So that one's harder to write but easier to use for the FREDer.

But yeah.. some SEXPs who deactivate physics or some for easier camera control would be nice.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
and maybe a sexp, that will allow us to set higher speed for ships involved in cutscenes. I've tried

every-time
 - true
 - set-object-speed-z

but it didn't work for me.

-WC Saga's beta tester