Author Topic: PCS2 Test Builds  (Read 77429 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
/*smack's head*/
I can't believe that was it... I'm such a dumbass... wait, why the hell did it work for me?!
that seriously should have either worked or thrown an invalid enum error!

...updating my sig, still haven't identified the crash bug, so it's probably still in there.
but if this fixed that it would just freaking figure.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 12:47:53 pm by Bobboau »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
don't you love bugs like that :D
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
ooooh, so much!
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Shade

Having a problem with this, using a "your sig" version from July 15th 12:26:56. Quite possibly due to ineptitude on my part though - I started modelling... two days ago :p So I'm not exactly expert in POF conversion. But anyway, in case it's not:

The model causing the problem is a container (essentially a glorified box with lots of greebles that's modeled on something I saw on the BSG show, with only one LOD so far - Want to make sure it can convert before I start UV mapping the other 3), and the .cob seems to load just fine into PCS2 and renders fine as well. However, when I try to save it as a .pof the status bar gets as far as "writing shield collision tree" (it's a container, no shields), then crashes.

Sooo... help! Or not, in case it's me being stupid and needing to do something before I save as .pof, or for that matter me having done something wrong with the actual model in the first place, in which case, feel free to yell at me. Attaching the model (in .cob format) so you can see for yourself whether I'm just being ignorant or not.

PS. Yes, I know it has insanely many polys for a container, even for LOD0. I'm not feeling confident enough modelling to try on detail boxes yet, but it will come eventually :)

[Edit] Actually, I think TS did something weird to the model. I just loaded it up again and it had 4x the faces it should have. Lemme try a backup, it might well be a problem on my end.

[Edit again] Never mind, it's apparently just a side effect of UV mapping. The thing comes out of LU with my faces than it has going in. Probably me forgetting to check some box somewhere. Just to be sure though, I'm also attaching a version that hasn't been through LithUnwrap. Still crashes PCS2 but you might be able to find out more than me.

[And again] Tried some workarounds. Using cob2pof, I can convert the model and see it in modelview. However, neither PCS or PCS2 will accept a .pof made that way - PCS refuses to load it and asks if I'm sure it's a valid FS2 model, and PCS2 will load it but does not render it even as a wireframe, with all values (bounding box, mass, radius etc.) shown at zero. Trying PCS on the .cob, it hangs and takes up a ton of cpu cycles.

[Attachments deleted now since the models were not to blame]
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 09:07:03 pm by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
...updating my sig, still haven't identified the crash bug, so it's probably still in there.
but if this fixed that it would just freaking figure.
lol, yeah the crash-on-load bug has vanished from your latest sig build now too. :D

Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
excellent and i have a model to track down the SLDC problem.. oh **** i bet i know what it is :D just occured to me :D

Offline Water

Having a problem with this, using a "your sig" version from July 15th 12:26:56.
Yes the writing shield collision tree crash is present in this build. Also fails with ground-scale.cob.

Shade use this one as a temporary measure http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater/pcs2_2007_07_11__21_28_45.zip It will do what you need.

Offline Shade

And here I thought I was being clever downloading the build from the sig instead of one of the posts, figuring it was the most up to date. The one you just linked me converted the model flawlessly :) Thanks! I still gotta figure out the poly bloat from UV mapping though, but at least, this is one worry less.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
someone with a model that is crashing on SLDC.... put a shield box around it and try again.. i bet you the crash will go away

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
something along the lines of making a collision tree for a shield mesh that doesn't exist I'm betting.

and the one in my sig is the most up to date, it's got bugs in it that other build couldn't even think of.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
the one in my sig is the most up to date, it's got bugs in it that other build couldn't even think of.

what did you do...

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I was being sarcastic, but for example, that one build doesn't have any shield collision tree code, so it couldn't even think of a bug in that code, get it? t'was a joke. considering we posted at about the exact same time and I was responding to the post before yours.

anyhoo, anyone who has had problems over the last few days, please make a report on how things are working for you now. note we still have the above mentioned bug in the wild regarding shield collision trees, so we know about that one, but make sure you don't have any glowmap/shinemap crash after loading bugs.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 09:06:38 pm by Bobboau »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Shade

Interestingly, I just realized that PCS2 actually undid the poly bloat from the UV mapping during the conversion process. This is good. Just need to fix up a table now and this thing should be working. I thank thee :)

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
undid the ploy bloat?
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Shade

Well, strictly speaking, vertex bloat, I phrased it wrong before. I take it you downloaded the models? The UV mapped, non-converted model has 5k-some vertices, the un-UV mapped one has 1600ish. But after going through PCS2, the UV mapped model is back down to 1600ish. I don't know why, but then, I am rather new at this. I just know it's nice, because it had me worrying and trying to figure out wtf was going on. Which, apparently, nothing was :)

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
oh, yeah, it merges identical vertexes.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Shade

And because of PCS2, I was eventually able to get it in game! Yay :) It's a nice feeling seeing something of your own in the techroom for the first time. Now I just gotta actually draw stuff on the texture... plain maroon is kinda bland :p Oh, and LODs. Might as well do it right.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Water

someone with a model that is crashing on SLDC.... put a shield box around it and try again.. i bet you the crash will go away
So how do you do that? I'm guessing a mesh made in a modeling program. With the name shield? or is there more to it than that?

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
just like any other subobject.. just named "Shield"

Offline Water

As you said, with shield - no crash